BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    When will you buy a Tesla?

Closed Thread

12-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #89
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Looking at new daily drivers for next year. I REALLY want to want a Model 3, but I'd want the dual motor and self driving, and convincing myself to pay $58,000 for what is essentially a $40,000 car with another motor and brain is....a tough pill to swallow.
      12-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #90
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Electric motors are great. They're quiet, efficient, powerful with little to no maintenance. It's the low energy density of modern battery technology. For over a hundred years, the engineers have spent countless hours extracting energy from gasoline and they succeeded. So it's the fuel of choice for now.

For the most part, electric car batteries are still toy batteries strung together and Hydrogen fuel cells are also very expensive and potentially dangerous. But it's moving in the right direction. Hydrogen is also lightweight and absolutely renewable.

30 mins to 1 hours charge time at a "fast" charger and 48 hours 110V home charging are not viable means. It's changing our habits and infrastructure. Most people just want to get in and out. 800Volt charger are far and few in between. Plus it's going to get very very hot. We worry about phones and laptop exploding with a 2 amps 12V charger. Wait until an 800 volt 150kwH battery explodes.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #91
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Looking at new daily drivers for next year. I REALLY want to want a Model 3, but I'd want the dual motor and self driving, and convincing myself to pay $58,000 for what is essentially a $40,000 car with another motor and brain is....a tough pill to swallow.
Honestly the base autopilot is pretty good. I wouldn't spend $10k on the self-driving stuff, but that's mainly because I'm overly cautious about letting the car drive itself, and the summon technology isn't useful enough for my needs.
      12-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #92
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Well look at it this way... a base 330i RWD is $41k an M340 AWD is $56k. Vs a standard range model 3 is $38k and the long range awd is $47k.

At $10k I would personally skip the FSD. It's bs and you are basically just giving Tesla $10k for pretty much nothing. It's like a deposit on a feature they have been claiming will come every year and is probably not coming anytime soon. Now shit like THAT are things I actually hate about Tesla. Personally standard autopilot is fantastic and comes with all the models standard now.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #93
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

For me, it has to be legal to actually purchase/own one in my state - Corupticut (also known as Connecticut) currently permits politicians to accept monthly "donations" from the dealers union to ignore and not vote on any bills that allow EV's or Tesla to do business in the state.... But Corrupticut will still charge you a higher sales tax rate than the state normal rate on your out-of-state vehicle purchase, plus ~$1200/year for "vehicle property tax" on your "illegal EV" and if you don't pay both taxes they won't let you register the vehicle in the state.

I was one of the first with the Model 3 pre-reservations in the state, but unfortunately the two bill attempts right before the 3 was released never made it to the floor for a vote to pass legislation.

I've even spoke to two dealers in the state and they laugh and say, they can't believe how easy it is to buy our politicians.. you don't even need to do it under the table, just a couple thousand a month and they pretend like the bill doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #94
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well look at it this way... a base 330i RWD is $41k an M340 AWD is $56k. Vs a standard range model 3 is $38k and the long range awd is $47k.

At $10k I would personally skip the FSD. It's bs and you are basically just giving Tesla $10k for pretty much nothing. It's like a deposit on a feature they have been claiming will come every year and is probably not coming anytime soon. Now shit like THAT are things I actually hate about Tesla. Personally standard autopilot is fantastic and comes with all the models standard now.
Tell me about it. I paid $5k for it on my Model S in 2018.
      12-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #95
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Think I'll be sticking with my petrol cars 😎
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      12-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #96
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Think I'll be sticking with my petrol cars
Bet you won't be saying that in about 2 years time when most manufacturers will be selling a few EV's in their model lineup and will make your combustion engines seem old, and slow. EV's have an amazing potential for handling improvements.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #97
RJD851
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 M3, X4 M40i

I was initially skeptical electric cars would catch on when the Model S was released back in 2012, and didn't see myself in one until I felt the charging network was sufficiently built out. Well I found myself needing a larger vehicle this year and after contemplating other 7-seater options ultimately found myself in a Model X LR.

It's been an interesting experience owning a Tesla. I think my biggest issue is the displayed range is very misleading because it depletes faster than the actual miles you've driven. For example: I leave home in the Bay Area with a full charge of 335 miles, and arrive at my mom's house outside of Sacramento with about 130 miles on the battery display. However, the actual distance is only 117 miles.

It can be a bit daunting to do a road trip. Living in Norcal, there are plenty of charging options within a few miles of my home including a Tesla delivery center. But even when I go to visit my mom, the nearest charging station is about 10 minutes away, and that spot is often full (only a few stations) so the next closest one is about another 10 minutes. I'm still adjusting to the car so I often get range anxiety, especially when my kids are with me so I try not to drive it on longer trips like Tahoe or SoCal for fear of getting stranded.

The build and paint quality is almost laughable considering the price of the car. I know folks that work in the factory, one worked for GM before and he's shocked at the tolerances and general lack of QC. I get it, you're paying for the technology etc etc but the panel fitments and paint quality are worthy of a car costing much less. My ppf installer found a bunch of these, and I was able to get the more obvious ones fixed by Tesla without much issue.

But I have to say the driving experience is pretty cool. I tell my friends its like driving an iPhone. My other cars are a 6pM2C and a Land Rover Discovery Sport (company vehicle) so those 2 satisfy my ICE needs. But my kids love the music streaming and fancy tech features, and joyfully play the built in games when I need to use a supercharger. So it's a great car for use as a local general purpose family vehicle (grocery shopping, mall, etc). The gull wing doors definitely make an impression in places where Teslas are relatively scarce.

Not sure how long I will keep the MX, but i'm fairly certain I will always have at least 1 electric or alternative fuel vehicle going forward (but not to the exclusion of a RWD 6sp fun car )
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #98
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

ICE cars are already old. I got my first EV in 2015 (i3) and have never looked back. Now and then I borrow an ICE and it's like going 20 years back in time (even the F80 M3). I just wish I've converted to BEV even earlier.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #99
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
ICE cars are already old. I got my first EV in 2015 (i3) and have never looked back. Now and then I borrow an ICE and it's like going 20 years back in time (even the F30 M3). I just wish I've converted to BEV even earlier.
I like your cars. Would you post a message with your thoughts on the IPace vs. the Tesla? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #100
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Coexist

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #101
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Quote:
Coexist

I approve of this message....and this color choice!!! Lol
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #102
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I like your cars. Would you post a message with your thoughts on the IPace vs. the Tesla? Thanks.
Lease the Tesla

The iPace has crappy range and is overpriced for what you get
      12-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #103
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

I'm sure they're not all bad but articles like this one below make me pretty hesitant to buy one.

InsideEVs: Tesla Service Centers Are Preventing Delivery Refusals In Weird Ways.
https://insideevs.com/news/463589/te...very-refusals/
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #104
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

There are better EVs now,

Performance: Porsche Taycan, and other German brands are catching on
Everyman cars : Hyundai Ioniq, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, etc

Why overpay for poor quality?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #105
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Think I'll be sticking with my petrol cars 😎
Hot take.

People stuck with the horse and carriage for a while before embracing automobiles. It will eventually work itself out.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #106
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalRenegade View Post
There are better EVs now,

Performance: Porsche Taycan, and other German brands are catching on
Everyman cars : Hyundai Ioniq, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, etc

Why overpay for poor quality?
I'm sure there will be better EVs coming out. The Mustang MachE is interesting, however the Taycan? It's over $100k where a brand new model 3 starts at like $35k, even the Model S starts at just under $70k with like double the range and slightly lower 0-60 than the base $100k Taycan. The Hyundai is a hybrid and the Bolt and Leaf... well just look at them, you also can't compare the speed, technology or charging network between the two. That being said the Bolt is probably the closest competitor to a Model 3 right now IMO. If my mom wanted an EV I would tell her to get a Bolt.

For me if buying new right now the Model 3 is cheaper, faster, better looking (subjective) has better tech and a better charge network behind it than the Bolt. Sorry, but people don't just put up with the actual issues Tesla has because they are all fanbois. They do it because when you compare everything they are IMO the best EVs out there right now for the $$ EVEN with their flaws.

Also Tesla made EVs "cool". I mean who the fuck wants a freaking Leaf or a Prius or that weird Honda thing that probably like 5 people bought, 4 of whom probably lived in a tree. EVs were reserved for tree hugging hippies. Tesla turned that shit around and made it to where normal people wanted a Tesla. Now that they have done the hard part all the other big boys want to jump on the bandwagon and to be honest.... I don't know why they haven't already eaten Teslas lunch.

On the flip side I think Tesla has been super focused on the battery tech, their supercharger network and their software, while ignoring many of the CAR issues such as the build quality, customer service, service center experience etc. I think this has put them way ahead of the big boys when it comes to range and tech, but as soon as they catch up I think Tesla could be in trouble. But WTF do I know.
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
stein_325i25051.00
      12-31-2020, 12:47 AM   #107
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
I'm sure there will be better EVs coming out. The Mustang MachE is interesting, however the Taycan? It's over $100k where a brand new model 3 starts at like $35k, even the Model S starts at just under $70k with like double the range and slightly lower 0-60 than the base $100k Taycan. The Hyundai is a hybrid and the Bolt and Leaf... well just look at them, you also can't compare the speed, technology or charging network between the two. That being said the Bolt is probably the closest competitor to a Model 3 right now IMO. If my mom wanted an EV I would tell her to get a Bolt.

For me if buying new right now the Model 3 is cheaper, faster, better looking (subjective) has better tech and a better charge network behind it than the Bolt. Sorry, but people don't just put up with the actual issues Tesla has because they are all fanbois. They do it because when you compare everything they are IMO the best EVs out there right now for the $$ EVEN with their flaws.

Also Tesla made EVs "cool". I mean who the fuck wants a freaking Leaf or a Prius or that weird Honda thing that probably like 5 people bought, 4 of whom probably lived in a tree. EVs were reserved for tree hugging hippies. Tesla turned that shit around and made it to where normal people wanted a Tesla. Now that they have done the hard part all the other big boys want to jump on the bandwagon and to be honest.... I don't know why they haven't already eaten Teslas lunch.

On the flip side I think Tesla has been super focused on the battery tech, their supercharger network and their software, while ignoring many of the CAR issues such as the build quality, customer service, service center experience etc. I think this has put them way ahead of the big boys when it comes to range and tech, but as soon as they catch up I think Tesla could be in trouble. But WTF do I know.
Hey! I have a Prius!
      12-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #108
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
Bet you won't be saying that in about 2 years time when most manufacturers will be selling a few EV's in their model lineup and will make your combustion engines seem old, and slow. EV's have an amazing potential for handling improvements.
"Your combustion engines..." - you make it sound like IC car owners are in the minority. "Despite rapid growth, the global stock of pure electric and Plug-in hybrid (PHEV) cars represented about 1 out of every 200 vehicles (0.48%) on the world's roads by the end of 2019, of which pure electrics comprised 0.32%."

Pretty sure its going to take more than 2 years before EVs are better in terms of value-proposition (the root thing that makes people want to buy them), at which time people who are still driving those old-stinky-slow IC cars start to feel envy
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:03 AM   #109
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
Gonna love when you EV lovers go electric. More petro cars for me!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #110
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
A Tesla would make a fine 3rd or 4th vehicle but I don't think it can be your only vehicle.

Their build quality is still lackluster. I keep seeing this pattern repeatedly; at least among Tesla bloggers and fans.

It's still acting like a $15K car with a $35K battery. It's not exuding that $50K car build quality.

Elon's vision is innovative. His charging infrastructure is leading the industry. The range is livable. But that shoddy build quality just makes it unappealing to me.

Once Tesla achieve the economy of scale like the bigger car companies do, it will get better and less expensive. Right now the early adopters are paying the price of exclusivity.

It's like buying the first plasma screen TV for $15K
Now you can buy a similar LED TV for $150

I think I'll wait.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread