BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    "Stop-Sale" Ordered on my car today due to "emissions/fuel tank" service bulletin

12-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #353
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6306 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruza View Post
Quote:
Lol. We should have switched our cars . I got the dealer to pay for the rental, so that was the good part about driving there.
Exactly, good call. I took delivery at BMW of Catonsville but turned in my X5 ///M. Was a great send off drive for the SUV and intro to the F90.

Made for a long day though.
BMW of Catonsville is a beautiful dealership btw. Open Road NJ not so much lol
I never like dealing with Open Road in Edison either. The last new BMW I bought from them was an ordered E92 335xi coupe back in 2010. Once you buy a car from them, you're on your own. Service wasn't that good either. Princeton BMW also needs to get their sales act together. Lesson learned

On a positive note..picking up my car tomorrow at 3pm! Woo hoo! Can't wait!!
Good luck my friend! You'll love the car
Thanks brother! I'm sure I will and will definitely post some pics. Btw your car looks amazing. I too went with the black wheel/ red caliper option... it really pops!!

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #354
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Eman6306

Where are the pics? Good thing you were able to take delivery ahead of tomorrow’s rain.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #355
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Eman6306

Where are the pics? Good thing you were able to take delivery ahead of tomorrow's rain.
Hey Bruza, I took delivery later and it got dark so I couldn't snap any decent ones, however I do have a few meh phone pics from my crowded garage ( preparing to move). I'll take some better ones if the weather's not bad tomorrow.

it's on a whole different level than the 911 ! So refined, so smooth and comfortable, yet so insanely raw. Trying to behave during this break-in period (keep under 5500 rpms) break-in oil to be changed at 1200 miles.

Thanks for the earlier input. I caved and changed to leasing it with 7 MSDs instead of a purchase. I also got the lease wear & tear, tire & wheel warranty and maintenance upgrade covering pads. What a beautiful beast!
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #356
bruza
Major
Rep

eman6306

She's looking good. Congrats sir, you'll love the F90. Our twin MBB's will meet soon. When are you scheduled for cermanic coating? I'm dropping mine off Sunday.

Your initial impressions are well stated. I'm in agreement, the car shifts very smoothly yet is raw at the same time if that makes sense. This is my 4th ///M and a week into ownership, I can see this being the best yet. Blows my former F10 M5 out of the water (literally).

Lease vs. finance is a personal call but like we discussed I'm a fan of leasing these vehicles, glad to help there.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020

Last edited by bruza; 12-04-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #357
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
eman6306

She's looking good. Congrats sir, you'll love the F90. Our twin MBB's will meet soon. When are you scheduled for cermanic coating? I'm dropping mine off Sunday.

Your initial impressions are well stated. I'm in agreement, the car shifts very smoothly yet is raw at the same time if that makes sense. This is my 4th ///M and a week into ownership, I can see this being the best yet. Blows my former F10 M5 out of the water (literally).

Lease vs. finance is a personal call but like we discussed I'm a fan of leasing these vehicles, glad to help there.
Thanks! This is actually my first full ///M car. I had a few Msport/MPerformance plus Dinan but this is on another level....wow! Even my '15 Audi RS5 (B8 with n/a V8) paled in comparison.

I still have to try out all of these M settings/setups to see which combinations works best for me (including tranny shift speeds on shifter). I saw many driving reviews and noticed many (especially Joe Achilles) preferred the suspension in Comfort. Not sure I'll disengage 4WD and electric nannies until warmer weather!

I have appointment for 12/14 for the ceramic and bumper ppf (I couldn't get in earlier so not so happy about that, rock chips?)

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #358
bruza
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! This is actually my first full ///M car. I had a few Msport/MPerformance plus Dinan but this is on another level....wow! Even my '15 Audi RS5 (B8 with n/a V8) paled in comparison.

I still have to try out all of these M settings/setups to see which combinations works best for me (including tranny shift speeds on shifter). I saw many driving reviews and noticed many (especially Joe Achilles) preferred the suspension in Comfort. Not sure I'll disengage 4WD and electric nannies until warmer weather!

I have appointment for 12/14 for the ceramic and bumper ppf (I couldn't get in earlier so not so happy about that, rock chips?)
I'm in the same boat, haven't had a lot of time to dive into the tech either (vast difference from my '17 X5 ///M btw). Simply put, I have my M1 Settings at most conservative and M2 at most aggressive.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #359
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

eman you're going to fall even further in love with this car! MBB triplet here, btw but with Aragon leather.

As for settings, in case it's any help here's what I've landed on for the winter:

M1 = sport plus engine ; comfort suspension ; comfort steering ; D2 on trans ; regular 4WD
M2 = sport plus engine ; sport suspension ; comfort steering ; D3 trans ; MDM + sport 4WD

I use M1 for everyday driving and M2 for when I want to make some noise I like having the throttle mapping consistent so I don't have to recalibrate my foot between settings, which I find dangerous and unnecessary. I'm quite pleased at how progressive Sport Plus engine is in this platform vs. the F80 I used to have. I hated the throttle in that car! It was an off-on switch in any engine setting...
Appreciate 2
mw9120.50
eman45171694.50
      12-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #360
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
eman you're going to fall even further in love with this car! MBB triplet here, btw but with Aragon leather.

As for settings, in case it's any help here's what I've landed on for the winter:

M1 = sport plus engine ; comfort suspension ; comfort steering ; D2 on trans ; regular 4WD
M2 = sport plus engine ; sport suspension ; comfort steering ; D3 trans ; MDM + sport 4WD

I use M1 for everyday driving and M2 for when I want to make some noise I like having the throttle mapping consistent so I don't have to recalibrate my foot between settings, which I find dangerous and unnecessary. I'm quite pleased at how progressive Sport Plus engine is in this platform vs. the F80 I used to have. I hated the throttle in that car! It was an off-on switch in any engine setting...
Thanks Ashmostro! This is very helpful info, I'll definitely try your reco on the M buttons.

Can I also pick your brain on your tire set-up? My M5 came in with the P-Zeroes :
I'm not really a fan of those, however since I'm now leasing, I'm probably not going to go for a winter wheel and tire set up as this car will most likely not see snow, however I'd still like to take it out often on more mild days throughout the winter months.

Normally, these HP summer tires really don't like temperatures below 40F (the silicone component hardens a bit losing traction), but the PZeroes don't seem as sticky as the PS4S I've had in the past, so I guess I'd have to see how they handle in colder weather. Any thoughts on this? What are your plans? Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #361
mw9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 RC M5C

i really dont mind the Pirelli's. mine cam with them. im not gonna track these tires, ill get different set-ups for track application.

id be interested to know what the clear difference between Pirelli and Michelin are on the exact F90 M5C application. i really liked my super sports that were on the F80.
      12-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #362
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Ashmostro! This is very helpful info, I'll definitely try your reco on the M buttons.

Can I also pick your brain on your tire set-up? My M5 came in with the P-Zeroes :
I'm not really a fan of those, however since I'm now leasing, I'm probably not going to go for a winter wheel and tire set up as this car will most likely not see snow, however I'd still like to take it out often on more mild days throughout the winter months.

Normally, these HP summer tires really don't like temperatures below 40F (the silicone component hardens a bit losing traction), but the PZeroes don't seem as sticky as the PS4S I've had in the past, so I guess I'd have to see how they handle in colder weather. Any thoughts on this? What are your plans? Thanks!
So, I decided a long time ago to never compromise on traction, no matter the cost. I always have a winter tire set in the OEM sizes that I swap on around this time of year and take off in the spring. For leased cars, this also means you put less wear on the OEM tire set. I sell or gift the winter set when I'm done with my lease, depending on their condition.

If you don't live in an area where you see snow and it just gets cold (or don't plan to ever drive in snow), then go with a Michelin high performance all-season tire. I'm pretty conservative about this though, so even though our snow in the mid Atlantic is mild, I dress the car up for the worst conditions it'll likely see and run true winters, but the high performance variety to limit the squishiness common with snow-capable tires.

Last edited by ashmostro; 12-04-2020 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #363
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Fun picture...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #364
cosmolaris
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

So, I decided a long time ago to never compromise on traction, no matter the cost. I always have a winter tire set in the OEM sizes that I swap on around this time of year and take off in the spring. For leased cars, this also means you put less wear on the OEM tire set. I sell or gift the winter set when I'm done with my lease, depending on their condition.

If you don't live in an area where you see snow and it just gets cold (or don't plan to ever drive in snow), then go with a Michelin high performance all-season tire. I'm pretty conservative about this though, so even though our snow in the mid Atlantic is mild, I dress the car up for the worst conditions it'll likely see and run true winters, but the high performance variety to limit the squishiness common with snow-capable tires.
Question, when you swap tires on OEM wheels, is it just a straight swap? The TPMS will just work and all right?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 02:33 AM   #365
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmolaris View Post
Question, when you swap tires on OEM wheels, is it just a straight swap? The TPMS will just work and all right?
Yes that's correct. It's quite a standard affair. You may need to do a TPMS reset on your iDrive if the car senses wheels in a different position than before, but that's easily described in the manual.

More important is to make sure your tire tech uses either fully "touchless" equipment, or the parts of the equipment that touch the tire bead/wheel rim and center bore are plastic-lined. This is to mitigate scratches on the rim.
Appreciate 2
eman45171694.50
      12-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #366
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Ashmostro! This is really helpful. I agree. I actually talked to my CA, parts and a TireRack rep yesterday and ended up ordering another set of wheels and will mount a set of practically new (2k miles on them) 275/30/ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that I have stored in bags from my Audi RS5 (sold the RS5 with the summers).

These tires are extremely close in size and will suffice for the winter months since we've had relatively mild winters recently. I don't plan on driving in extreme weather anyway. (we have an older Mercedes C450 4Matic and a leased '18 X1 for now).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #367
cosmolaris
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Ashmostro! This is really helpful. I agree. I actually talked to my CA, parts and a TireRack rep yesterday and ended up ordering another set of wheels and will mount a set of practically new (2k miles on them) 275/30/ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that I have stored in bags from my Audi RS5 (sold the RS5 with the summers).

These tires are extremely close in size and will suffice for the winter months since we've had relatively mild winters recently. I don't plan on driving in extreme weather anyway. (we have an older Mercedes C450 4Matic and a leased '18 X1 for now).
Are those A/S 3 or A/S3+? I've heard there is quite a big difference between them. I was considering the A/S3+ but couldn't find the rear ones in stock anywhere and am going to just go with winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #368
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Are those A/S 3 or A/S3+? I've heard there is quite a big difference between them. I was considering the A/S3+ but couldn't find the rear ones in stock anywhere and am going to just go with winter tires.
Good catch! They're A/S 3+ M/S (Mud & Snow)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #369
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Those lower profile tires may actually help in snow too.
Appreciate 1
eman45171694.50
      12-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #370
cosmolaris
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice. Can you tell me the sizes of those tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #371
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. 275/30/ZR20 (97 Y). It's also listed on the 2nd tire picture if you zoom in.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #372
cosmolaris
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. 275/30/ZR20 (97 Y). It's also listed on the 2nd tire picture if you zoom in.
So you went with a square setup? Also aren't those not the same size as what's recommended?

Should be 275/35ZR20 for front and 285/35ZR20 right? Also load rating of 97 is below recommending. Not saying anything is wrong with your setup, just curious on how well it will work as I may consider the same thing
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #373
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So you went with a square setup? Also aren't those not the same size as what's recommended?

Should be 275/35ZR20 for front and 285/35ZR20 right? Also load rating of 97 is below recommending. Not saying anything is wrong with your setup, just curious on how well it will work as I may consider the same thing
Ok gotcha but think you're missing (from my earlier posts) that I already had these practically new tires in storage bags from my Audi RS5.

I didn't choose this square setup, I just repurposed them from my Audi since confirming they should work fine on my F90 for a cold weather/ light snow application. Winter tire setups generally have some wiggle room. The differences with this set-up are negligible. Will let you know how it's working for me.

Choose whatever setup works best for you based on your situation.

Appreciate 1
      12-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #374
cosmolaris
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Great. Let us know how it works out
Appreciate 0