BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    GoPro head rest mount

10-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
DJspecv
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

GoPro head rest mount

Has anybody had any luck finding a good compatible headrest mount or something with a similar viewing angle for gopro hero 8? The angle showing the driver inputs along with the road from the passenger seat headrest or similar.

The seats don't expose the head rest poles like most seats so the regular handle bar mounts don't fit. Just wanted to see if anyone had a good set up they could recommend.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJspecv View Post
Has anybody had any luck finding a good compatible headrest mount or something with a similar viewing angle for gopro hero 8? The angle showing the driver inputs along with the road from the passenger seat headrest or similar.

The seats don't expose the head rest poles like most seats so the regular handle bar mounts don't fit. Just wanted to see if anyone had a good set up they could recommend.

Thanks!
Suction cup to the sunroof or the passenger window maybe
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:04 AM   #3
DJspecv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Suction cup to the sunroof or the passenger window maybe
Thanks. But I don't have a sunroof and have tinted windows. I just did suction cup to front windshield last time out. Was hoping someone figured out a way to attach to the head rest poles (they're exposed a little bit when you raise the headrest all the way up).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:19 AM   #4
Phayze71
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F90 M5 Competition

Garage List
While this is not quite the same thing, but I would recommend maybe trying out a 360 camera. I've been using 360 cameras for quite some time now, starting with the Nikon KeyMission 360 about 4 years ago, and have very recently upgraded to the Insta360 One R. These cameras are incredibly good, have great quality, and the software just gets better and better. They're so good, in fact, that if you upload your videos to YouTube, for example, and someone watches it with a VR headset, they literally feel like they are sitting in the passenger seat with you. Their viewpoint changes as they move their head around, they can look up, down, front, side, back, anywhere. The sound changes automatically.

But if you have even very basic video editing skills, you can really have a lot of fun, changing everything from angle perspective, how the video is shown, and you can very easily make a 2D video out of your 360 videos, but say make it a 230-degree perspective (as an example), so you'll end up getting this kinda funky fisheye type view, that will show you the sides and front at the same time.

The video quality is excellent, and the stitching is almost seemless. On the Insta360. I get very high quality 5.7K video. GoPro makes a great 360 camera too, but I went with the Insta360 One R because it also has interchangeable lenses. You can put, for example, a one-inch sensor lens on it instead, you'll lose the 360, but you get incredible low light videos and pics (great for night track days). And let's not forget how all these cameras have all sorts of fun tricks now both within the camera itself and post-editing software.

I can't recommend one of these cameras enough.

Edit: check out the new video from SSC that showed their top speed record for the Tuatara.

They specifically used the same camera I mentioned, the Insta360 ONE R, and notice how they can change the perspective even within the same clip. They took 360 video and edited it as needed.

Last edited by Phayze71; 10-28-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
DJspecv
Rep

Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for the rec. This would be pretty amazing in VR, like you're really in the cockpit with the driver.
Appreciate 0