BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Eventuri intake and inlets installed

01-24-2023, 09:27 AM   #23
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
There have been numerous lawsuits against BMW for denial of warranty claims for somewhat less invasive mods like these, with a pretty even split as to how they turn out for owners. Putting aside the merits of each individual's specific claim, the difference seems to be partially attributable to what states they are filed in. States with more robust consumer protection laws tend to skew more towards the customer, even perhaps in cases where if the consumer had filed that same meritorious claim in another state, they would have likely lost. Most of these lawsuits are filed against BMW NA in New Jersey, as this is their corporate HQ. New Jersey tends to be somewhat more pro consumer than some other states. However BMW arguably has enough of a presence in each of the 50 states such that they are likely to be able to be sued in all of them, and they are routinely sued from coast to coast and everywhere in between. I can recall off the top of my head two cases for less invasive mods where plaintiffs had extremely meritorious claims. For logistical reasons, plaintiffs in those actions filed in their home states (Colorado and South Dakota) and ultimately lost at trial with the courts siding with BMW. This is not surprising as the NCLC has ranked them as some of the most pro corporation states in the country. These are two examples where the outcome would have likely been different if plaintiffs elected to sue BMW in NJ (or even in Delaware, where BMW NA is incorporated).

The discovery and litigation processes over many lawsuits over many years, have revealed that BMW maintains a small department in Woodcliff Lake whose goal it is to essentially deny a claim whenever possible without causing legal issues for themselves, similar to insurance companies who maintain teams whose sole job it is to deny claims/avoid paying out on claims. It's also been shown that BMW is more aggressive in doing this than their other German counterparts (though Audi is up there, too).

These are not my opinions, they are facts. I am telling you all this to say that if BMW wants to find a way to deny your claim, they absolutely will, sometimes even in cases where they would likely lose if the action were to go to trial in the hopes that the consumer with extremely disparate resources/bargaining power as compared to BMW will just "let it go."

As everyone says on here, you've got to pay to play. There might very well be a good chance that the other forum member may have ultimately won if going to trial (and may even manage to get his claim covered without the headache and cost of litigation by aggressively pursuing BMW), but the consumer is starting out the gate impeded every time.

Sorry Bure@, no threadjacking intended! Just wanted to respond to Patton250's query.
nice write-up. i am down the road from BMW Finance, we can protest there
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 11:24 AM   #24
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
There have been numerous lawsuits against BMW for denial of warranty claims for somewhat less invasive mods like these, with a pretty even split as to how they turn out for owners. Putting aside the merits of each individual's specific claim, the difference seems to be partially attributable to what states they are filed in. States with more robust consumer protection laws tend to skew more towards the customer, even perhaps in cases where if the consumer had filed that same meritorious claim in another state, they would have likely lost. Most of these lawsuits are filed against BMW NA in New Jersey, as this is their corporate HQ. New Jersey tends to be somewhat more pro consumer than some other states. However BMW arguably has enough of a presence in each of the 50 states such that they are likely to be able to be sued in all of them, and they are routinely sued from coast to coast and everywhere in between. I can recall off the top of my head two cases for less invasive mods where plaintiffs had extremely meritorious claims. For logistical reasons, plaintiffs in those actions filed in their home states (Colorado and South Dakota) and ultimately lost at trial with the courts siding with BMW. This is not surprising as the NCLC has ranked them as some of the most pro corporation states in the country. These are two examples where the outcome would have likely been different if plaintiffs elected to sue BMW in NJ (or even in Delaware, where BMW NA is incorporated).

The discovery and litigation processes over many lawsuits over many years, have revealed that BMW maintains a small department in Woodcliff Lake whose goal it is to essentially deny a claim whenever possible without causing legal issues for themselves, similar to insurance companies who maintain teams whose sole job it is to deny claims/avoid paying out on claims. It's also been shown that BMW is more aggressive in doing this than their other German counterparts (though Audi is up there, too).

These are not my opinions, they are facts. I am telling you all this to say that if BMW wants to find a way to deny your claim, they absolutely will, sometimes even in cases where they would likely lose if the action were to go to trial in the hopes that the consumer with extremely disparate resources/bargaining power as compared to BMW will just "let it go."

As everyone says on here, you've got to pay to play. There might very well be a good chance that the other forum member may have ultimately won if going to trial (and may even manage to get his claim covered without the headache and cost of litigation by aggressively pursuing BMW), but the consumer is starting out the gate impeded every time.

Sorry Bure@, no threadjacking intended! Just wanted to respond to Patton250's query.
nice write-up. i am down the road from BMW Finance, we can protest there
Thank you!

I'll hit up Staples for poster board and Sharpies!

02-14-2023, 06:39 AM   #25
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Hi guys, quick question, has there been any faults or malfunctions showing up after eventuri install? Few people around me are saying it throws some error codes... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:22 AM   #26
Bure@
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m5; 2016 BMW X6 xdriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek View Post
Hi guys, quick question, has there been any faults or malfunctions showing up after eventuri install? Few people around me are saying it throws some error codes... Thanks!
Nothing in my case, all good
Appreciate 1
acizek78.00
      02-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #27
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek View Post
first batch needed new gaskets for the Air Breather tubes. No issues since being installed.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 4
      03-05-2023, 07:56 PM   #28
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
I must resist and not look at this thread, but I am weak
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 05:29 AM   #29
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
first batch needed new gaskets for the Air Breather tubes. No issues since being installed.
I’m having both the intakes and the turbo inlets installed in my new M5 this week. No more problems right with the gaskets right?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #30
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp

[QUOTE="Bure@;29759367"]From what I saw, the tank is sealed from 2 parts so it’s leaking a little bit in between. I have a friend with a shop and he changed couple of them, so looks like it’s a common issue.

I have this issue on my M8 right now. Small pin hole leak on upper portion of reservoir. Looks like it could be a molding defect
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #31
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’m having both the intakes and the turbo inlets installed in my new M5 this week. No more problems right with the gaskets right?
Sorry. Correct. No issues with new gaskets
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      04-07-2023, 07:05 PM   #32
HarveyM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5C 2023

where did you purchase the parts and how long did it take to arrive?
Appreciate 0