BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Hub Nut missing after lowering

06-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #1
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Hub Nut missing after lowering

So I was getting weird noise after lowering car today. I called the mechanic who did work. X BMW master tech he said everything is good I'll recheck tomorrow as he double checked everything. So I took matter into my own hands and took the wheel off and this is what I found? Now my question is I drove at least 50 miles likes this and would this have messed anything up. Also do I need to get the car towed or is it safe to drive without damaging parts about 15 miles to get to shop. Please prompt advice will be appreciated. Thx
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #2
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
So I was getting weird noise after lowering car today. I called the mechanic who did work. X BMW master tech he said everything is good I'll recheck tomorrow as he double checked everything. So I took matter into my own hands and took the wheel off and this is what I found? Now my question is I drove at least 50 miles likes this and would this have messed anything up. Also do I need to get the car towed or is it safe to drive without damaging parts about 15 miles to get to shop. Please prompt advice will be appreciated. Thx
Upon doing more research im getting the car towed back to shop first thing in the morning. I just hope there was no damage as I caught it within few hours.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Upon doing more research im getting the car towed back to shop first thing in the morning. I just hope there was no damage as I caught it within few hours.
I hope you’re not having it towed back to the same shop that did the lowering? How could the x BMW master tech tell you “everything is good” over the phone? If he did in fact double check everything before it left his shop, there is something very wrong with his work process.

If you were lucky the loose output shaft wasn’t making contact with the gear in the wheel hub as it rotated. You must have been hearing the shaft flopping around loose. I can’t imagine how the shop missed that on their test drive after doing the work. Carefully check the gear teeth on both the output shaft and the hub before assembly. If there is damage the x master mechanic could still pull the gears together with a new collar bolt and tell you everything is okay. On your invoice were you charged for new collar bolts on all four wheels? BMW recommends new bolts on reassembly. Avoid that shop!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Quote:
I hope you’re not having it towed back to the same shop that did the lowering? How could the x BMW master tech tell you “everything is good” over the phone? If he did in fact double check everything before it left his shop, there is something very wrong with his work process.

If you were lucky the loose output shaft wasn’t making contact with the gear in the wheel hub as it rotated. You must have been hearing the shaft flopping around loose. I can’t imagine how the shop missed that on their test drive after doing the work. Carefully check the gear teeth on both the output shaft and the hub before assembly. If there is damage the x master mechanic could still pull the gears together with a new collar bolt and tell you everything is okay. On your invoice were you charged for new collar bolts on all four wheels? BMW recommends new bolts on reassembly. Avoid that shop!
So apparently hub nuts are stretch bolts so should be replaced once opened. We have new ones coming shortly and will know more if there was any damage at all.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

He didn't know about replacing them. He only took the from 2 out anyways.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

So everything squared away. No damage. Issue was he used same bolts and torqued them at 89 lbs when it should have been 154 plus 90 degrees. New bolts on both front axles and correct torque specs now.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
So everything squared away. No damage. Issue was he used same bolts and torqued them at 89 lbs when it should have been 154 plus 90 degrees. New bolts on both front axles and correct torque specs now.
That's good news. But in 50 miles of driving the bolt backed completely out, pushing the center cap off your wheel, on just one side? He's not admitting he just forgot the bolt? I don't have an extra length torque wrench and I had to do the 90 degrees of rotation in two steps. BMW specs that in many locations and it's always scary for me twisting the wrench up to 110 degrees past the torque value. The feel of a bolt snapping isn't good! But, it hasn't happened yet, so BMW must know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That's good news. But in 50 miles of driving the bolt backed completely out, pushing the center cap off your wheel, on just one side? He's not admitting he just forgot the bolt? I don't have an extra length torque wrench and I had to do the 90 degrees of rotation in two steps. BMW specs that in many locations and it's always scary for me twisting the wrench up to 110 degrees past the torque value. The feel of a bolt snapping isn't good! But, it hasn't happened yet, so BMW must know what they're doing.
No he said he did put it on it was just done at 89 pounds of force so that's why maybe it came off plus he didn't use new bolts he used the old ones
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Why did the mechanic remove axle nuts to change wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Why did the mechanic remove axle nuts to change wheels?
Was Lowering the car so he had to removed front ones. But no harm done we good now.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0