BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Trying to find out if my car is tuned

01-11-2023, 07:12 PM   #1
Jerry300zx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Trying to find out if my car is tuned

I recently bought a 2019 m5 competition. It has 24k on it and was returned to the dealer it was purchased at. They had the car in the show room. As I was looking the car over, a salesman told me he sold the car new to the first owner. He said the car was tuned and had over 700hp. He told me it was covered under warranty.

After purchasing the car, I inspected the engine bay for a tune box but could not find any.

Then I read on Dinans website, you can ship them the computer and they will flash the software onto it?

Does anyone know how I could find out if it is tuned other than bringing it to the track?

I'm thinking the sales guy was just telling me that to sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 09:16 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Buy a cheap OBD2 scanner and scan the car at wide open throttle safely and see what the boost psi is.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 06:56 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

A high level scan tool may pull codes for suspected tuning. Did the dealer say whether the tune was warrantied by BMW or by the tuner? Dinan, Carbahn, APR, and others offer warranties that match the factory warranty. BMW does not, for any problem attributable to the tune, though a few dealers may look the other way and cover the claim unless BMW corporate investigates because it is a big claim such as for a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry300zx View Post
I recently bought a 2019 m5 competition. It has 24k on it and was returned to the dealer it was purchased at. They had the car in the show room. As I was looking the car over, a salesman told me he sold the car new to the first owner. He said the car was tuned and had over 700hp. He told me it was covered under warranty.

After purchasing the car, I inspected the engine bay for a tune box but could not find any.

Then I read on Dinans website, you can ship them the computer and they will flash the software onto it?

Does anyone know how I could find out if it is tuned other than bringing it to the track?

I'm thinking the sales guy was just telling me that to sell the car.
Sounds like the SA knew the buyer/seller and they probably talked about it. If it has a tune and BMW knows then it is NOT CPO. So that could be your first clue.

You could also simply take it to the dealer service and ask them to check. But then you're opening yourself up to engine warranty issues. But then theres always the hand to play regarding the SA telling you about it as a selling feature and exclaiming it was covered by warranty.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #5
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Buy a cheap OBD2 scanner and scan the car at wide open throttle safely and see what the boost psi is.
This

Will take one squirt with a Bluetooth dongle plugged to see peak psi.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #6
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

What's the peak psi for a 700ish bhp tuned f90 on pump gas? Been trying to find psi boost numbers and can't seem to track them down anywhere, especially stock ones for standard f90, comp, and CS.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:13 PM   #7
Bure@
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m5; 2016 BMW X6 xdriv

It’s not 💯 but you can check your sport display, if it’s more than this then most probably it’s tuned
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 11:53 PM   #8
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
They cannot CPO a car that was tuned… AFAIK
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
Charmonafarm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp F90

BMW M5C 2021 UK car - Miltek system

Hi guys,

Just picked up my M5C from main dealer bmw. They didn’t tell me but I’ve looked under the car and noticed the rear exhaust system has been fitted with a Miltek exhaust system. BMW have not replied with what they are going to do yet. But I suspect put the standard system back on. My question is - would you say it’s likely that the car has had a tune? It’s just there isn’t any warning lights on so I’m a little confused if someone has messed with it.

Cheers !
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmonafarm View Post
Hi guys,

Just picked up my M5C from main dealer bmw. They didn’t tell me but I’ve looked under the car and noticed the rear exhaust system has been fitted with a Miltek exhaust system. BMW have not replied with what they are going to do yet. But I suspect put the standard system back on. My question is - would you say it’s likely that the car has had a tune? It’s just there isn’t any warning lights on so I’m a little confused if someone has messed with it.

Cheers !
This is a very difficult, perhaps nearly impossible, question to answer just by looking at the car, or off the basis that you don’t have a CEL. Plenty of flash tunes exist where the car is not constantly throwing a CEL on the pre-LCI. As for LCIs, there are some tuners claiming they are able to tune after unlocking DMEs, though if it’s true, it’s nowhere near as common as pre-LCI cars which have had the ability to unlock DMEs for a while now. Your best bet is to run tune detection on the car if you want to know for sure.

Some people will add an exhaust and also add a tune. Others may just install an exhaust. Again, tough to use as an indicative factor.
      03-12-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
Charmonafarm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
This is a very difficult, perhaps nearly impossible, question to answer just by looking at the car, or off the basis that you don’t have a CEL. Plenty of flash tunes exist where the car is not constantly throwing a CEL on the pre-LCI. As for LCIs, there are some tuners claiming they are able to tune after unlocking DMEs, though if it’s true, it’s nowhere near as common as pre-LCI cars which have had the ability to unlock DMEs for a while now. Your best bet is to run tune detection on the car if you want to know for sure.

Some people will add an exhaust and also add a tune. Others may just install an exhaust. Again, tough to use as an indicative factor.

Hey bud thank you for your reply. It’s a LCI model. It doesn’t feel any quicker than the demo I had for a week so tbf im hopeful not. The system sounds rubbish. No pops or bangs and hardly louder. It’s a £4k system and I don’t know why you’d bother personally for little change.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 02:50 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmonafarm View Post
Hey bud thank you for your reply. It’s a LCI model. It doesn’t feel any quicker than the demo I had for a week so tbf im hopeful not. The system sounds rubbish. No pops or bangs and hardly louder. It’s a £4k system and I don’t know why you’d bother personally for little change.
You’re welcome! As it’s a UK LCI, it has OPF which mutes out a lot of the sound. OPF removal is a thing, but it will typically throw a CEL, likely cause the car to fail inspection, and is certainly deemed a warranty voiding modification by BMW. The previous owner likely wanted some more sound without removing the OPF due to the ramifications of doing so, and thought that the exhaust might do the trick.

I feel for anyone that has acquired an M5 in a market that requires OPF, as it signifcantly neuters the sound.
      03-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #13
Jazz_V
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

I tried to find out if my car had an after market tune after I purchased it as my BMW dealer said it had been tuned but they did not show me how they knew it was tuned when I took it in for a noise issue from the engine. I called Dinan and Carbahn. They just need your VIN number to check their database.
Appreciate 0