BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Anyone have Focal ISUB BMW 4 Subwoofer Drop Ins?

12-13-2023, 11:39 AM   #23
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
Thanks for continuing to keep us updated. I was going back and forth between doing the Focal Inside line to replace my H/K stuff or doing more of a true custom setup. With either though, every audio pro I talked to said I’ll need an amp or they won’t sound any better. Most recommend Helix Match w/ DSP because its a marked improvement and allows individual channel tuning. I think Bavsounds are designed to sound good using the factory equipment.

Long story short, I’ve decided to go more custom with Focal K2 line, customer a-pillar enclosures for highs/mids, and custom sub box and amp rack in the trunk for JL VXi amps to run everything. My only stipulation? I still want to be able to fit two golf bags in my trunk.

I’m too busy right now to get it done, so looking at early next year. I’ll definitely start a thread when the time comes with before and after pics.
You’re welcome!

My takeaway isn’t that all Focal products are bad necessarily. I have no experience with their products outside of this attempted application, so I really am not qualified to speak on a more elaborate set up.

I would imagine the set up you’re talking about would be fantastic.
      12-13-2023, 03:18 PM   #24
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
You’re welcome!

My takeaway isn’t that all Focal products are bad necessarily. I have no experience with their products outside of this attempted application, so I really am not qualified to speak on a more elaborate set up.

I think in general when it comes to drop-in replacements you're really not going to get much better sound if that's all you do. To really get better sound at a minimum you'd need a multi-channel amp that allows for individual tuning of each speaker channel.

Also, at no point did I think you were saying that all Focal products are bad! I understand your frustration after all you've been through with the bavsound subs and now the Focals. I'd be willing to bet if you wanted to keep the Focals and were willing to just add an amp you'd probably get exactly the sound you're looking for.

This is the amp one of the local shops I talked to was recommending: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/up-10dsp
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 12:14 PM   #25
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
You’re welcome!

research car audio set ups,amps, woofers etc. u cant do this without upgrading the amp, ull never see a woofers potential. looks like focal and cheapos/a few to choose from is only option we have for drop in with the bmw terminal. so focal is prolly gon best option. however no matter what upgraded sub u add to a car u will always need a better amp, if foculs are any good whatsoever. sad the main trusted brands dont make any for our cars, just weird companies like bavsound, etc.
pioneer, jbl,jl and alpine need to get on this!

Last edited by jjjccc; 03-03-2024 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0