BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2021 M5 LCI arrive at US dealerships

09-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #111
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel486 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno 27 View Post
Looks great, wish I could have waited. Can't understand why they don't ship laser with the cars. X5 has them, 8 series has them.
f80 replacement has this listed as option

5AZ Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight

2022 f80 build sheet lists 552 for part number.

maybe it's because they are being built after the law change here in USA?
I read on the 5 series LCI unveiling thread that the reason the 5 series LCI laser headlights are not USA legal is that the laser component functions both on the low beam and high beam. However it works, and I don't pretend to understand it - that's not USA DOT legal.

By contrast, the 3 series, 8 series, and X5/X6/X7 laser headlights were designed to only function on the high beam (low beam is still regular LED) which is USA DOT legal.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks great, wish I could have waited. Can't understand why they don't ship laser with the cars. X5 has them, 8 series has them.

I read on the 5 series LCI unveiling thread that the reason the 5 series LCI laser headlights are not USA legal is that the laser component functions both on the low beam and high beam. However it works, and I don't pretend to understand it - that's not USA DOT legal.

By contrast, the 3 series, 8 series, and X5/X6/X7 laser headlights were designed to only function on the high beam (low beam is still regular LED) which is USA DOT legal.
What about 7 series? 2020 7 series has laser light option, BMW take it out for 2021 MY.
The 7 series has the same set up as the 3 and 8. The 5 series has the new Gen laserlights.
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #112
angel486
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS 2020 M8CV

Garage List
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel486 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What about 7 series? 2020 7 series has laser light option, BMW take it out for 2021 MY.
The 7 series has the same set up as the 3 and 8. The 5 series has the new Gen laserlights.
The 2021 7 not getting laser light in US.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #113
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Finally picked it up. Kinda bitter sweet since I traded my GT350R.
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
Luminor5131243.00
MacOSR203.00
euro*1657.50
abdulbata300.50
BwoodBMW1861.00
KoenG1428.50
clee1982797.50
dardeca499.50
swanson733.00
      09-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #114
walt814
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition (Ordered)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
That spec looks great! Noticed you even went with the black calipers if my eyes aren't wrong
      09-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #115
walt814
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I agree, it is not a bad design to be based off of, as its very clean and handsome, the issue is that the G30 has been dated since its release, it doesn't really look fresh or new since its pretty similar to the F10 which is now a decade old. Time for a new design I think.
Personally, I believe that the design of the previous generation was spot on, but I also believe that this one was done right. That goes for both pre-LCI and the LCI. It's one of those things where if something is broken then it may just be better to not fix it. The design language does feel outdated, but I don't find it to be purely bad. It just goes to show how great the last generation was. I have a 21 on order right now, but coming from a few AMG's in the past, just changing the designs for the sake of changing them isn't always a good thing. Some cars look great and a step up, but others will feel like a pure downgrade to others. That's why Porsche hardly changes how the 911 looks from generation to generation. It just works.

It's all personal opinion at the end of the day, and I respect how anyone may feel, but there is no denying that all these cars look classy and look like they're worth their price tag. And there is no doubt that all of these cars are fun and enjoyable, and as long as they feel like that, we get our money's worth
      09-05-2020, 03:44 AM   #116
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I was wrong about the above. Here is the exact reason the laser headlight in the 8 series (and by inference the 3 series/X5/X6/X7) are USA DOT legal but the laser headlight in the 5 series is not:

"US market M8: the Laser SHB (Supplementary High Beam) is incorporated together with the LED High Beam, and does not add to the total number of light emitting devices. By definition under FMVSS 108, these combination headlamps do not exceed the permissible maximum of 2 forward light emitting devices per side.

On the G30/F90 LCI, it's an independent multi-function dynamic lighting module in addition to the two LED projectors, making a total of 3 forward light emitting devices per side and thus, non-compliant."
I don't get how that's the case when US-spec Acuras has "Jewel" headlights with multi diodes makeup. Can you please site the law..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #117
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
That's looks great!! Enjoy your new M5
      09-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #118
Njbmw17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M5C

Quote:
Nice color!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:47 PM   #119
rantidine
Rep
Drives: bucket of rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I don't get how that's the case when US-spec Acuras has "Jewel" headlights with multi diodes makeup. Can you please site the law..

thats kind of confusing as shit. a lot of vehicles have single headlight units with multiple LED projectors. porsche, mercedes, even hyundai..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:54 AM   #120
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Lovely colour! Happy driving and congrats! 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #121
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOne_322 View Post
Just let me know when the LCI taillights are available for conversion to the 2020 M5C. That's the only nice upgrade I see.

I've noticed the VW Atlas and GTI with the same headlights as the LCI M5. Not to mention a few Jaguars... Go ahead now and convince yourself that doesn't bother you - in the dark, you look like a VW Atlas / GTI or Jaguar...
Yeah I just want the tail light conversion as well. I tried to like the Lci headlights but I just don't like it. However, I did see someone do the tail light conversion on Instagram and it looked really good. I messaged them for how it was done but got no answer. If you find out information about doing the tail light conversion please let me know. -Phoenix

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #122
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Laser Lights

Quote:
Well I do not understand most of this, but the explanation I was given when trying to order Laser lights on my 2021 build were that the issue was lumen s of light over distance. DOT limits brightness, and the US BMW's with laser lights were detuned to only give off the same brightness at a certain distance as the LED's. It was too expensive to keep producing detuned laser lights for the US market with no increase in performance of the lights, in addition to coding away all the expensive intelligent light management available in all other markets. This is why I was told they were phasing out laser lights for ALL BMW's in the future. They are very expensive compared to LED to produce and because of US DOT have no significant performance increase. Any one else hear anything on this??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #123
walt814
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post
Well I do not understand most of this, but the explanation I was given when trying to order Laser lights on my 2021 build were that the issue was lumen s of light over distance. DOT limits brightness, and the US BMW's with laser lights were detuned to only give off the same brightness at a certain distance as the LED's. It was too expensive to keep producing detuned laser lights for the US market with no increase in performance of the lights, in addition to coding away all the expensive intelligent light management available in all other markets. This is why I was told they were phasing out laser lights for ALL BMW's in the future. They are very expensive compared to LED to produce and because of US DOT have no significant performance increase. Any one else hear anything on this??
Honestly, I just find many of these US laws and regulations either stupid or outdated, or maybe even both
      09-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #124
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for your input and there is some credence to what you where told but from the way I read it, it seems that they were on the edge of getting adaptive laser lights approved, where the high and low beam operates on a continuum, being possible since the systems use cameras and other sensors to scan the road ahead, looking for both headlights and taillights. When other vehicles are too close, the adaptive lights reshapes or blocks out part of the light beam to prevent glare.

Approval for ADB was a prerequisite to having full laser lights approved here in North America but due to the previous government shutdown(s) and now for the pandemic, the approval process was halted until later on this year.

Since "laser" lights are also classified as a medical device, this creates more bureaucratic red-tape, since it also has to get a sign off from two separate regulatory bodies; the Food and Drug Administration & the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Now being that both agencies are working on a limited basis, there is backlog of operations between the two.

Full Laser laser (both high & low beam) will eventually get here to the US but as of right now, the approval process is in limbo, so BMW can't offer it until they get the green light.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #125
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt814 View Post
Honestly, I just find many of these US laws and regulations either stupid or outdated, or maybe even both
Correct the laws where passed in the 70's and the senators who passed them are still in office...
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #126
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Doesn't look that different, still just a bmw sedan and too far under the radar for the price....
Think majority of the monies you spent on resides under the hood. It's a subtle super sedan for people whom like the practicality of a sedan plus remain subtle and hover under the radar.

If you like to be loud, for M5 money and maybe abit more can get something fast, loud and or a higher brand tier.
      09-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #127
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
Think majority of the monies you spent on resides under the hood. It's a subtle super sedan for people whom like the practicality of a sedan plus remain subtle and hover under the radar.

If you like to be loud, for M5 money and maybe abit more can get something fast, loud and or a higher brand tier.
QFT
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #128
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
What color is that? Montegi Red?

Last edited by dardeca; 09-09-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #129
hova00
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Quote:
What color is that? Montegi Red?
Yes it is Motegi Red
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #130
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Yes it is Motegi Red
Looks really good on the M5! Well done.
      09-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #131
hova00
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Quote:
Yes it is Motegi Red
Looks really good on the M5! Well done.
Thanks!!😎
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #132
Michael19887
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i & 2020 X3MC

Can anyone who has driven the LCI comp yet comment on the ride, and if the improvements are noticeable on rough/city roads in daily use? Also, the promo videos show there are now two settings for steering rather than three - comfort and sport. Is that the case? If so, is sport closer to the old sport or sport+? Thanks
Appreciate 0