BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    USA the greatest country in the world... Why?

08-07-2015, 12:48 AM   #221
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPA View Post
So in conclusion:

America is the best country in the world because we are the world's bully who declares war to third world countries with crappy military.

Apparently we have the best economy no matter if China is the biggest and Germany has a strongest one.

We have freedom and that is why the Muslim extremists wants us dead. It doesn't matter if most of the countries in the world have equal or more freedom, but amazingly most of the attacks done by the extremists are against the countries forming the coalition.

We have a ton of work over here and that is why Mexicans are crossing the border to chase the $10/hour American dream.

We have the greatest intellectual talent which most of them are immigrants. We have the best universities in the world and that is why Americans are leading the board when it comes to math and science.

The two-party system provides us with a balanced form of government where fairness, honesty and true representation is the foundation of our system.

Did I miss anyone's post?
Please let me expound upon your summary:

- America is the best country in the world because our strength keeps the third world countries from beating each other up, and the 2nd world countries from beating up on the third world, and we provide defense for much of the first world,

China's purchasing power is indeed just fractionally larger than ours, despite the fact that they have 4 times the population. Their GDP still sux... Germany's economy is largely stagnant, and they are #14 in growth out of the 18 countries in the Eurozone, since 1999, behind both France and Britain,

We do have freedom, and the Muslim extremists do want us dead. Of course they are primarily warring in their coalition countries today; once they have a position to leverage, they will certainly head our way,

We do have a ton of work here at $10/hr wages, and Mexicans (and Latin Americans, and Chinese) are coming here to get it, and the American dream (and all sorts of welfare and social benefits). This is because the lower class in the US is encouraged by our politically-driven welfare machine to stay on welfare, and let illegals take the low-wage jobs, thereby guaranteeing that employers will not have to increase wages because they need the work done. And there are millions and millions of people who are desperate to get the US, as we are the best country in the world,

We do have the greatest intellectual talent, but I'm not sure why you think it comes from immigrants? Huh? Yes - there are lots of smart immigrants, but it's not like we are shipping them in because we have no talent, or that the "smart ones" make up any significant percentage of our overall immigrant flow. In fact, a third of our legal immigration population doesn't have a high school diploma - compared with 7% of Americans,

And we do have the most balanced and representative form of government in the world.
      08-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #222
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
if anything, this system is COMPLETELY un-american!
How can it be un-American when it was estab;ished by America's founding fathers? Were they un-America? I know that there were dinosaurs roaming the earth when I got my degrees in Political Science and Government, but I don't remember anything about un-American.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #223
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
How can it be un-American when it was estab;ished by America's founding fathers? Were they un-America? I know that there were dinosaurs roaming the earth when I got my degrees in Political Science and Government, but I don't remember anything about un-American.
well if by american, you mean deceitful and not trusting, and controlling, then yeah..... i guess it's quite american then. slavery used to exist and be ok in this country as well when it got started. you still want that? what i mean by un-american is that we live in a country that is supposed to be a democracy, correct? you vote. whoever gets the most votes wins. no? is there some other form of democracy that i'm unaware of that allows people to win even though they don't get more votes than the other guy? people feel like, oh we have to vote because we're so blessed to be able to have the privilege to do so. when in reality, if you knew that the person you were going to vote for would lose even though he/she got MORE votes than the other person, would you still feel privileged to be able to vote? i sure don't. because to me, there's no difference in not being able to vote and my vote not meaning shit.

and look, at the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinion. that's the ONE thing that makes this country great. BUT that being said, opinions need to be backed by facts. when someone spouts of an opinion without any facts or without being educated about it, i have a hard time even caring what they have to say. so if someone can educate me on how this system is still ok, and even was ok to begin with for that matter, then please..... i'm open. i'm not a closed-minded person. educate me please.

Last edited by Duder; 08-07-2015 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 01:12 AM   #224
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
really? what are you, 12? give me a break with the capital letters and punctuation. i love when people get all grammar police online. it's so childish. i'm not writing a college paper here. give me a break. i could not care less about holding my shift key to put a capital letter after every period on some online forum. and clearly you know nothing about the electoral college and how it works because if you did you'd realize, just like what this video clearly points out, that it's completely outdated and in it's current form, actually does more harm than good as far as appealing to voters. watch the video, learn how it works, and then tell me you still feel that same way. this guy is not one-sided about this. it's simply an educational video explaining how it works. it may seem one-sided because it's so obviously ridiculous in the way it works and why we still use it, but at the end of the day it's just a straight educational video giving you the actual facts on hw the system works. as it is now, they only campaign in the states where they know they need electoral college votes. they don't care about the citizens. that's the problem with this system. it doesn't allow for candidates to appeal to citizens. it allows candidates (politicians) to appeal to other politicians. like this shows you, if worked the way it allows, you can become president with only 22% of the popular vote. you're ok with a system that allows for someone to win with 22% of the citizens votes? you would be ok with your favorite basketball team losing even though they scored 78 points and the team that scored 22 points won? give me a break. it's outdated for one, and two, it was set up to begin with because the government didn't trust US to make an informed decision! the attitude behind it was, lets make them think they have a say, but really..... we're still gonna control things because we don't trust them to make the right decision. if anything, this system is COMPLETELY un-american!

AND with all that being said, if this system really worked, we wouldn't have had 3 or 4 (can't remember but i think maybe 4) presidents become president in this country without the popular vote. end of story. can't deny that. it's fact. one of which being Bush. his second term wasn't won by the popular vote. you're ok with that? he won the electoral college vote, but not the popular vote. you're seriously ok with that? you're ok with a system that makes YOUR vote meaningless? that's unreal to me..... you'd rather sit online being a grammar police than educate yourself on things like this. that's sad, and that's not helping this country move forward.
Actually, this EC system is COMPLETELY American, and was the subject of significant debate by the Founding Fathers. It has served us well over the years, and continues to do so. It has many purposes, such as a defense against mob rule, separation of government powers, and ensuring representation in our Republic (note to video: we do not have a democratic system of government in the US - we have a republic form of government).

You may want to re-think that capitals/grammar thing, unless you are spray painting graffiti under a bridge.
      08-07-2015, 01:14 AM   #225
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Actually, this EC system is COMPLETELY American, and was the subject of significant debate by the Founding Fathers. It has served us well over the years, and continues to do so. It has many purposes, such as a defense against mob rule, separation of government powers, and ensuring representation in our Republic (note to video: we do not have a democratic system of government in the US - we have a republic form of government).

You may want to re-think that capitals/grammar thing, unless you are spray painting graffiti under a bridge.
so you legitimately think it's ok that a president can become president in this country without the popular vote? you're for a system that allows this? you really don't think that needs to be changed or should have existed in the first place? because you do realize that means that your vote doesn't mean shit, right?
      08-07-2015, 01:53 AM   #226
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
so you legitimately think it's ok that a president can become president in this country without the popular vote? you're for a system that allows this? you really don't think that needs to be changed or should have existed in the first place? because you do realize that means that your vote doesn't mean shit, right?
Yes - I'm 100% fine with the Electoral College system, and our Republic form of government. I disagree with you that my vote doesn't mean shit; it still means something (as evidenced by close to 50 elections). The EC also means that if I don't live in NY or CA, I still can have an impact on an election.

What I'm not okay with is the Obama Administration offering illegals 5 year deportation relief, and social security cards and driver licenses - they are then able to register to vote. Election officials in many states have testified that they will not be able to determine who is legal vs. illegal. In 1995 (one year before the 1996 Clinton re-election), the Clinton Administration began to fast-track immigration for over 1 million immigrants in FL, in an effort to swing the state to the Democrats. These sort of shenanigans make your vote "not mean shit."
      08-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #227
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes - I'm 100% fine with the Electoral College system, and our Republic form of government. I disagree with you that my vote doesn't mean shit; it still means something (as evidenced by close to 50 elections). The EC also means that if I don't live in NY or CA, I still can have an impact on an election.

What I'm not okay with is the Obama Administration offering illegals 5 year deportation relief, and social security cards and driver licenses - they are then able to register to vote. Election officials in many states have testified that they will not be able to determine who is legal vs. illegal. In 1995 (one year before the 1996 Clinton re-election), the Clinton Administration began to fast-track immigration for over 1 million immigrants in FL, in an effort to swing the state to the Democrats. These sort of shenanigans make your vote "not mean shit."
I'm baffled that you can just look past the fact that 4 presidents have become president without the popular vote and think that your vote means anything..... but ok I guess. I'm not going to change your mind. you also do realize though that the electoral college is not bound by any law that dictates they MUST vote the way the state wants them too, right? you do know that electors have changed their vote and not voted the way the state voted, right? seriously shocked that any American citizen would be ok with this system.....

it's like BMW asking you to vote on what the new color for next year will be. 99 people vote for a blue and 1 person votes for pink. BMW then decides to go with pink. would you not feel like what the hell was the point of me voting then since they didn't listen to the majority? I mean really?

Last edited by Duder; 08-07-2015 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #228
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue overpriced POS

Quote:
Dude - you're the one who started this thread with the question "USA the greatest country in the world... Why?" So I guess this whole thread was your attempt at trolling?
Yeah, don't waste your time on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #229
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please let me expound upon your summary:

- America is the best country in the world because our strength keeps the third world countries from beating each other up, and the 2nd world countries from beating up on the third world, and we provide defense for much of the first world,

China's purchasing power is indeed just fractionally larger than ours, despite the fact that they have 4 times the population. Their GDP still sux... Germany's economy is largely stagnant, and they are #14 in growth out of the 18 countries in the Eurozone, since 1999, behind both France and Britain,

We do have freedom, and the Muslim extremists do want us dead. Of course they are primarily warring in their coalition countries today; once they have a position to leverage, they will certainly head our way,

We do have a ton of work here at $10/hr wages, and Mexicans (and Latin Americans, and Chinese) are coming here to get it, and the American dream (and all sorts of welfare and social benefits). This is because the lower class in the US is encouraged by our politically-driven welfare machine to stay on welfare, and let illegals take the low-wage jobs, thereby guaranteeing that employers will not have to increase wages because they need the work done. And there are millions and millions of people who are desperate to get the US, as we are the best country in the world,

We do have the greatest intellectual talent, but I'm not sure why you think it comes from immigrants? Huh? Yes - there are lots of smart immigrants, but it's not like we are shipping them in because we have no talent, or that the "smart ones" make up any significant percentage of our overall immigrant flow. In fact, a third of our legal immigration population doesn't have a high school diploma - compared with 7% of Americans,

And we do have the most balanced and representative form of government in the world.
My summary is based on other people's posts, not my points.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #230
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
What is "everything" to you?

Education? We are not the greatest.
Freedom? We are not the only one and other countries have more freedom.
Opportunity? We are not the only one.
Environmental? We are not the greatest
Economy? We are not the biggest or strongest anymore.

It is sad to hear people comparing the US with Greece or a third world country. Even China is kicking our asses by manipulating their currency, hacking the crap out of us and selling us useless cheap shit.
Well then tell me which country is greater than US? I'll wait. Tell me ONE (not a bunch) but just ONE! country that is better than US.

There isn't any.

I said that US is the greatest country in the world. I did not say US is the PERFECT country in the world.

When i said 'everything' i meant all social aspects and living conditions put together.
      08-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #231
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
It is sad to hear people comparing the US with Greece or a third world country. Even China is kicking our asses by manipulating their currency, hacking the crap out of us and selling us useless cheap shit.
Anyone who compares the US with Greece is clearly clueless.

And China kicking our asses by manipulating their currency? You do realize their economy has crashed right?

In fact, if you're a major shareholder in China, you can't sell your shares for 6 months. Imagine if the government here told shareholders they couldn't sell their own damn stocks?
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #232
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Well then tell me which country is greater than US? I'll wait. Tell me ONE (not a bunch) but just ONE! country that is better than US.

There isn't any.

I said that US is the greatest country in the world. I did not say US is the PERFECT country in the world.

When i said 'everything' i meant all social aspects and living conditions put together.
Read one of my previous posts where I explained why I believe we cannot pin point one single country as the greatest in the world.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #233
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Anyone who compares the US with Greece is clearly clueless.

And China kicking our asses by manipulating their currency? You do realize their economy has crashed right?

In fact, if you're a major shareholder in China, you can't sell your shares for 6 months. Imagine if the government here told shareholders they couldn't sell their own damn stocks?
No, their economy has not crashed, just their stock market. They are still on time to save their economy which most likely will happen. Most Chinese companies are still growing and production hasn't gone below dangerous levels.

Last edited by KlausPA; 08-07-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #234
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, their economy has not crashed, just their stock market. They are still on time to save their economy which most likely will happen. Most Chinese companies are still growing and production hasn't gone below dangerous levels.
So a stock market can tank but the economy can still be fine?

News to me. If a stock market crashes, it tends to indicate that companies actually are not growing.

What stock do you know to plummet for a company when it's growing?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #235
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
So a stock market can tank but the economy can still be fine?

News to me. If a stock market crashes, it tends to indicate that companies actually are not growing.

What stock do you know to plummet for a company when it's growing?
You cannot treat the Chinese market like you would with Western markets, too long to explain and not part of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #236
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

If you put a gun to my head and asked me to name a strong country, I would say Norway. But it's small.

If you measure using GDP, the USA is pretty darn good. But for growth?

Personally, I have no plans on going anywhere, been here all my life. I don't think I've been out of the tri state area in my entire life, but someday I plan on seeing what's down there maybe in DC, or in Massachusetts. I once saw pictures of Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #237
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Read one of my previous posts where I explained why I believe we cannot pin point one single country as the greatest in the world.
      08-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #238
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I don't think I've been out of the tri state area in my entire life, but someday I plan on seeing what's down there maybe in DC
Come on down! Lots of terrible traffic and a shitty metro system (but at least it's largely clean).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #239
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

What a heated thread this is--don't even want to jump into this firefight..lot of know it all fist pumping, blame this party, that party, this president, that one. Shit, I've heard all of these arguments over and over again..nothing new except people here taking a side. I say Germany is the best because without them we would not have BMW's and E90 post and threads like this. Anybody want to debate me on that? I'm just going to throw irrelevant nonsense back at you.
      08-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #240
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
What a heated thread this is--don't even want to jump into this firefight..lot of know it all fist pumping, blame this party, that party, this president, that one. Shit, I've heard all of these arguments over and over again..nothing new except people here taking a side. I say Germany is the best because without them we would not have BMW's and E90 post and threads like this. Anybody want to debate me on that? I'm just going to throw irrelevant nonsense back at you.
Yeah but Al Gore created the internet and probably e90post and he's American.

/debate
Appreciate 3
      08-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #241
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Yeah but Al Gore created the internet and probably e90post and he's American.

/debate
Well, ok--Al did say he created the internet, but, even if he did create e90 post(which I don't think he did), he could only do so due to the existence of BMW's which started in 1916, way before the internet. So, the Germans started the seed that led to this wonderful tree of super intelligent discussion and scholarly wisdom. Therefore, it would still hold true it has to be Germany or else we have no discussion here.
Next.
maybe that little dancing guy pic.
      08-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #242
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Yes. It's worked both ways too. Nixon won popular vote but Kennedy became president.
Appreciate 0