BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Dash cam install

03-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
SonicF90
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Dash cam install

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Has anyone tried using the dongar adapter to install a dash cam in their M5? I've tried but am having trouble disconnecting the mirror from its power supply. Not sure if it even can disconnect. I was able to pull the plastic pillar off, but that's as far as I got.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicF90 View Post
Has anyone tried using the dongar adapter to install a dash cam in their M5? I've tried but am having trouble disconnecting the mirror from its power supply. Not sure if it even can disconnect. I was able to pull the plastic pillar off, but that's as far as I got.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1556366

Use this guide, and this video (though they are both for different things, they show how to manipulate the power plug)

03-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #3
SonicF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAM5 View Post
Quote:

Use this guide, and this video (though they are both for different things, they show how to manipulate the power plug)

Thank you. That's what I used, but he doesn't really show how to unplug it. Is there a clip or something I need to push down on? Because when I try pulling it out, it doesn't budge
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you. That's what I used, but he doesn't really show how to unplug it. Is there a clip or something I need to push down on? Because when I try pulling it out, it doesn't budge
You're welcome, sorry it wasn't very helpful! Once you've used the other forum thread to remove the collar, the plug should be facing you with the thumb depress button also facing you. You have to kind of hold the base (the female part) with your index and thumb, and use the other hand to push down on the button, and then slowly pull (the male part) away, shimmying side to side until it pops out. The wiring underneath the base is pretty short, be careful not to pull too much or too hard, it's very easy to accidentally have individual wires going into the base pull out if you do it too hard.
      03-21-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
SonicF90
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome, sorry it wasn't very helpful! Once you've used the other forum thread to remove the collar, the plug should be facing you with the thumb depress button also facing you. You have to kind of hold the base (the female part) with your index and thumb, and use the other hand to push down on the button, and then slowly pull (the male part) away, shimmying side to side until it pops out. The wiring underneath the base is pretty short, be careful not to pull too much or too hard, it's very easy to accidentally have individual wires going into the base pull out if you do it too hard.
I'll have to take another look, for whatever reason I had issues with the thumb depress button. It's very small. Maybe I have to remove the mirror entirely. Do you know if I just turn it counterclockwise wise to remove the mirror? Seriously appreciate all your help on this!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll have to take another look, for whatever reason I had issues with the thumb depress button. It's very small. Maybe I have to remove the mirror entirely. Do you know if I just turn it counterclockwise wise to remove the mirror? Seriously appreciate all your help on this!
It is small and difficult, though doable without removing the mirror. I only know because I also contemplated removing it, but wasn't brave enough. 😄