BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Modding my M5 @ 25k miles mark

02-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Clarkey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Touring

Modding my M5 @ 25k miles mark

Hi all. Well I never thought I could own an M5 but here I am.
I bought a 2018 non GPF model in April and am loving it. I went for higher miles as it was the long term test car for Auto Express and when I found out I tweeted the staff before buying it and found out how well the car had been taken care of in its first 16k miles. It’s black, Aragon brown interior, M Sport exhaust, carbon ceramics, premium and comfort packs, and bowers and Wilkins, which swung it for me.

But I have been bitten by the bug to make it a little more personal.
So happy to share my experiences en route. And to hear yours too. I hate finding out about things the hard way.....

So, to begin with I fitted the BMS induction kit and it sounds ace. Fit is ok, need some attention to stop it moving and twisting, and a couple of sticky foam pads were required. But all sorted. The exhaust noise and induction noise/turbo spool are worth it alone. God knows if there is a performance gain, but who needs more than 600 bhp??
Then.... Black front and side grills fitted. Thinking about the rear spoiler and diffuser options so would be nice to know what you all think. I don’t see the Point in carbon on such a huge car, so would be happy with plastic and just paint it.
I ordered the full Maxton body kit and the quality was crap. Every part had an exposed under edge instead of being rounded and finished. So that went back.

Right now I have just done a stage 2 paint correction and ceramic coat (the guy is making a video of this so I will post it). Also just fitted 12mm spacers all around. Not driven far yet, but seems ok. Could go narrower on the back and wider on the front (15mm and 5/7mm on back) but I’ll run it a bit and see.

Next up, MSS springs (-25 to 30mm ish) and Remus Back Box with chrome slash cut pipes. It does need to be a touch lower but not firmer, hence MSS. And the exhaust need to be louder when in Sport/plus but stay quiet otherwise. It is my family wagon after all.

Problems: squeaky drivers seat. It’s a known issue (apparently) with a fix, but it’s a big job. Mine is going back again to fix it. Apparently it’s metal on leather, but I’m not so sure as it went away and now it’s back again within 3k miles. Oh and knackered front and rear BMW badges. Replaced (begrudgingly) under warranty....

Anyway, happy M5ing and looking forward to being involved more in the forum.

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-13-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Burnsey315.50
      02-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

You should get a Stage 1 map. My F10 went to 708bhp and with 4WD yours should be really impressive
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

Nice buy! I would defo recommend the RaceChip.
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
Nice buy! I would defo recommend the RaceChip.
Personally would prefer a proper map than a Tuning Box, had both and a map is the way to do it properly especially now that you can add/remove maps to the ECU at home
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Personally would prefer a proper map than a Tuning Box, had both and a map is the way to do it properly especially now that you can add/remove maps to the ECU at home
I think for the extra 20+- HP it's not worth it + you can keep your warranty with the RC.
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:38 AM   #6
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think for the extra 20+- HP it's not worth it + you can keep your warranty with the RC.
You wont keep your warranty if the car has a map from a Tuning Box, how on earth do you think that's the case?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:12 AM   #7
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's the whole point of them. You just take it off when it's with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's the whole point of them. You just take it off when it's with the dealer.
You really dont have much of an understanding of Tuning, not being rude but they can both be detected if BMW look hard enough, even if the tuning box has been removed they can see the boost values etc that are stored and would know that they are different to stock.

With ECU Maps you can now add or remove them in about 30 mins at home (anywhere in fact) and as such they are as invisible as a Tuning Box would be, in fact I would say a map is better as you dont even have to lift the bonnet and get dirty.

With a Tuning Box there is always a risk of breaking the connectors or at least the tabs that secure them.

I have had both and a map is in my opinion a better option providing you use a platform such as Bootmod3 or OpenFlash where you can remove at home.

If you have a Tuning Box and its removed BMW can still invalidate your warranty if they look hard enough. Don't be fooled!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #9
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Of course, nothing is guaranteed - if you blow an engine there is a small chance they are going to check params and see what sort of boost is being created etc. But, I have had warranty claims before and they have never done this, I have always ran a piggy.

What ECU map are you running? And are you certain it doesn't affect the eeprom count? I would be amazed if that is the case.

Audi, BMW will check this eeprom data on a STD service, so once your car has gone in they will log it and your warranty is dead from that point onwards.
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Of course, nothing is guaranteed - if you blow an engine there is a small chance they are going to check params and see what sort of boost is being created etc. But, I have had warranty claims before and they have never done this, I have always ran a piggy.

What ECU map are you running? And are you certain it doesn't affect the eeprom count? I would be amazed if that is the case.

Audi, BMW will check this eeprom data on a STD service, so once your car has gone in they will log it and your warranty is dead from that point onwards.
I run with OpenFlash and it resets the ECU counter so its always correct.

https://www.openflashtablet.com/

Scroll down for info on the F90 M5 they owned and Tuned, although they dont do the tablet yet for F90. However I would chat with Evolve in Luton as they have one.

https://www.evolveautomotive.com/evo...thout-gpf.html

I have an F10 M5 and got 708bhp at Surrey Rolling Road.

I suggest getting an oil change every 5,000 miles if you have a tune just to be safe

Last edited by OneExtra; 02-24-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

The cars always get plugged in to the Ista system within the BMW dealership first to code read any faults, if you have removed a race chip or JB4 the car will show the code for the sensor disconnected.

if youve remapped the car you'll see DME manipulation codes, these cannot be removed no matter how hard you try!

unless you know someone with a coding tool who can remote clear the faults for the sensors then it'll be fine before it goes in,
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #12
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-M5 View Post
The cars always get plugged in to the Ista system within the BMW dealership first to code read any faults, if you have removed a race chip or JB4 the car will show the code for the sensor disconnected.

if youve remapped the car you'll see DME manipulation codes, these cannot be removed no matter how hard you try!

unless you know someone with a coding tool who can remote clear the faults for the sensors then it'll be fine before it goes in,
I am dying to go for evolve stage 2 and have it booked for 08 April, along with h&r springs and Spacers. Can you share the details of someone who can clear the faults for the sensors pls as this would be a lower saver in the worst case scenario.

Last edited by BrntRubber; 04-05-2021 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00
      04-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #13
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@jk-m5 help us out brother
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

i must admit after 3 weeks of owning my f90 comp 2019, i had it tuned by evolve lol never have enough power.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691877.00
      04-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #15
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
i must admit after 3 weeks of owning my f90 comp 2019, i had it tuned by evolve lol never have enough power.
I bought a 2018 and had it sent straight from the dealer to have the mods done. Currently with Evolve.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691877.00