BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    CTS Intake Review?

07-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #23
ambletx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

It's really kind of hard to hear the intake over the sound of the exhaust under heavy throttle. I tried to get a better clip of the intake sound this morning with less of my lead foot.

Appreciate 1
Dreaming141.50
      09-13-2022, 05:25 PM   #24
Dreaming
IG: estoril.f90
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C Estoril Blue

Got mine delivered today
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #25
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambletx View Post
Ok, so I've had mine now for a few months, and there is no noticeable increase or decrease in performance that I can tell (Dragy to back this up). Having said that, its 100+ everyday here in Austin, and night time temps don't fall below high 80s. Unfortunately, I don't have any Dragy runs to match the current DA, temp, humidity, etc.

Next I've read all the threads about IATs, heat soak, etc... So, I decided to do a little experiment. Albeit not the most scientific, I can't imagine the delta being off by too much. I ordered the following temp gauge from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1RDJOI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detail s

Then I had to cut the wire to the temp sensor and solder and additional 3 ft of wire to it so I could see the display in the car and have the sensor in the engine bay. I verified with multiple other thermometers that its measuring correctly afterward.

Next I placed the sensor in the front entry to the passenger side cone filter of the CTS. This afternoon the ambient temperature in Austin is 101F w/ 32% humidity. I performed a series of tests and below are my results.
  • Freeway cruising @ 65-80 MPH - IAT 105F
  • Mixed residential/street driving @ 35-50 MPH - IAT 109F-117F
  • Stop and go traffic @ 0-25 MPH - IAT 125F-151F
  • Car running idle for 30 mins - IAT 141F

Given the above, I would be very surprised if the temps were different with the stock air box. Even if they were I seriously doubt that there would be enough difference to affect the performance where it was noticeable. For me, the sound difference is worth the price of admission alone (please forgive my terrible cinematography skills).

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MdI-XUmRCLg
"https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MdI-XUmRCLg"

I know I am way late to the party on this because I somehow missed this when you initially posted it, but wow that sounds awesome!