BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    F90 M5 Comp switch to G80 Xdrive?

02-07-2023, 02:52 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

F90 M5 Comp switch to G80 Xdrive?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hiya,

this is a cross-post from the G80 forum, I would like to hear both sides of the story, but I'm guessing I will have more luck in the G80 section...

I am contemplating making the switch from the F90 M5 Comp I own (only car) to a G80 Xdrive... can anyone that has done this please chime in?

Two things that bug me about the F90:
- reliability - some horror stories here and there, I have had 4 injectors replaced under guarantee... The S63TU does not seem to be the most reliable engine out there
- fuel consumption - when I gun it, 33 liters / 100 km is what I see (7 mpg) which is a bit much

Other than that, I am "fine" with the handling (I had a Golf R before, and of course I feel that I have an extra 500 kg to lug around), and am not sure that M3 handling is such a massive step forward...

Sooo... to me it just seems like trading the M5 for an M3 might cure the reliability issues and the consumption, but these do not bug me so much... where the M5 is just a great car overall... and an "extra 5% better handling" does not seem to make it worth my while tbh...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 06:22 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

7 mpg is terrible. I assume that is what the computer shows during the full acceleration and that your average over thousands of miles is much better. I have averaged 21 mg over 20,000 miles. Sure, it is a lot less for a few seconds here and there. I do almost no big city heavy traffic driving, and a lot of secondary road and highway driving, and that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:13 AM   #3
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Yes, regarding mileage, on long and calm runs, I can get it to 11 L / 100 km, so the 21 mpg you are talking about...

When I drive it like I stole it, sprints on the autobahn etc., I get to 7 mpg consecutively, i.e. I have to fill up like every 150 miles...

When I was going flat out in the Golf, it would do like 15, 16 MPG...

But back on topic, I don't really want to discuss fuel consumption... unless someone chimes in that the G80 in full send also uses 7 mpg...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

I had an f90 pre lci, now im in a 23 G80 xdrive. I like the G80 way more. It's like a baby M5. Plus when I mod it I know it will be more relaible. The V8TTs always had more issues than the I6 turbos when modded.

Get the xdrive and the 23 i8 screen and you'll be happy
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 09:39 PM   #5
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

This is totally a biased question. Almost everyone that has switched from an F90 to a G80 says they like the G80 way more and almost everyone I’ve seen that has went from a G80 to an F90 has said they like the F90 way more (I happen to be in this group and LOVE my F90 far more than I did the G80) it’s tough to say which one is better for YOU specifically.

Comfort, straight line speed, far superior luxury, and “classier” less in your face timeless exterior- F90

Louder in your face agressive exterior, more nimble, better tuning potential- G80

Pick your poison
Appreciate 7
      02-08-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

I can’t think of one thing that M3/4 does better than the M5 other than driving dynamics when going really quick around the track. I think M5 is better on the streets and M3 is better on track. M3/4 have those fantastic looking carbon seats. For everything else M5 for me. In my opinion M3 got too big and too heavy, while BMW made M5 lighter than a previous model there are few opinions on how previous M5 is better from F90 while there’s always been arguments how previous M3s we’re doing things better from a new one. Just my opinion and everyone here is free to disagree
Appreciate 4
MACHT260.50
jhbodle141.50
ERC429.50
      02-09-2023, 04:33 AM   #7
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
This is totally a biased question. Almost everyone that has switched from an F90 to a G80 says they like the G80 way more and almost everyone I’ve seen that has went from a G80 to an F90 has said they like the F90 way more (I happen to be in this group and LOVE my F90 far more than I did the G80) it’s tough to say which one is better for YOU specifically.

Comfort, straight line speed, far superior luxury, and “classier” less in your face timeless exterior- F90

Louder in your face agressive exterior, more nimble, better tuning potential- G80

Pick your poison
Great points. Well said. I also am going from the G 80 to the F 90. We are now finding out just how tunable the G 80 is. It’s ridiculous how fast this car is getting. As fast as a tuned Porsche turbo S. Unreal
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      03-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #8
Rotary1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post

Pick your poison
I agree here, it is picking your poison. I had an F80 and moved up to the F90 and I am completely satisfied with the choice. I thought of the G80 Xdrive but I need just a tad more comfort and quiet in the cabin. that is my choice and I am never going back.
Appreciate 2
jm490519.00
jhbodle141.50
      03-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #9
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Great points. Well said. I also am going from the G 80 to the F 90. We are now finding out just how tunable the G 80 is. It’s ridiculous how fast this car is getting. As fast as a tuned Porsche turbo S. Unreal
Yeah it’s wild to see what the G80 is doing now with the tuning platforms available. If it was 6-8 years ago for me before I got married and had my son and need more comfort and space now and race way less than I did before I would have absolutely opted for the G80 but I had a GTR at that time and it was maxed out on bigger turbos and stock trans and nothing I drive now is faster than that and I’m happy about that lol. The F90 is just too damn good at being super comfortable for you and your family and kids and then kicking some ass when you’re alone. Plus its by far the most beautiful BMW available today IN MY VERY SUBJECTIVE BIASED OPINION lol (although I do love how aggressive and sinister the G80 looks I think it’s sick!)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #10
EMCCM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Comp/2022 G80 Comp

Having owned both, the F90 does everything better than the G80 except cornering ability and am waiting for the F90 to come along to get back into the platform. Mileage is negligibly different (22mpg for the G80, which 90% of my driving is highway, F90 was between 20-24 from what I recall), but the G80 tank is ~4gallons smaller, which means I fill up a lot more often in the G80. Picking between platforms for mileage purposes is silly.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      04-08-2023, 06:56 AM   #11
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMCCM View Post
Having owned both, the F90 does everything better than the G80 except cornering ability and am waiting for the F90 to come along to get back into the platform. Mileage is negligibly different (22mpg for the G80, which 90% of my driving is highway, F90 was between 20-24 from what I recall), but the G80 tank is ~4gallons smaller, which means I fill up a lot more often in the G80. Picking between platforms for mileage purposes is silly.
I average like 17-18 in the F90 but I am drive a little harder than most... Seems low but I just had new injectors and it didnt really change.
      04-08-2023, 07:15 AM   #12
Revan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Not sure how applicable this is to the street but at the 2 day M School I took in February, the M4 I was driving was averaging 4 mpg (have a pic somewhere). I did 3hrs of private in M5 with track to myself and was getting 7mpg. I thought for sure the M5 would get worse mileage.
Appreciate 1
willyp158.50
      04-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #13
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
Not sure how applicable this is to the street but at the 2 day M School I took in February, the M4 I was driving was averaging 4 mpg (have a pic somewhere). I did 3hrs of private in M5 with track to myself and was getting 7mpg. I thought for sure the M5 would get worse mileage.
Track driving is a HUGE hit to MPG. If you're going to do it, you have to ignore MPG. Or just don't do it.

My GT-R used to get 2 mpg on track. 2.

My M5 CS gets around 8. Much, much better. And, same lap times.

Shawn
Appreciate 3
Egrunt551.50
jhbodle141.50
      04-10-2023, 12:23 AM   #14
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Track driving is a HUGE hit to MPG. If you're going to do it, you have to ignore MPG. Or just don't do it.

My GT-R used to get 2 mpg on track. 2.

My M5 CS gets around 8. Much, much better. And, same lap times.

Shawn
Smiles per gallon > miles per gallon

I average high single digits, driving the car like it’s stolen all the time. I gave up on MPGs a long time ago, even though mine is mostly street driven.
willyp158.50
      04-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #15
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post

I average high single digits, driving the car like it’s stolen all the time. I gave up on MPGs a long time ago, even though mine is mostly street driven.
At WOT almost all cars are thirsty. Part of the physics. Cannot be helped. It’s the reason I drive a plug in hybrid for my daily. Gotta save my planet portion of gasoline for the track.

The M5 CS is one of the most fun cars I’ve driven on the back straight of VIR. Speed climbs steadily the whole way.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #16
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Quote:

Well done bro! I cant get it that low off the track, I guess I need to try harder or is the CS tune just that aggressive?
      04-22-2023, 11:18 PM   #17
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
Well done bro! I cant get it that low off the track, I guess I need to try harder or is the CS tune just that aggressive?
Thank you! Everything Sport+, D3, basically flooring it all the time and you’ll get there — I promise. Even (especially?) when done in a dense urban area like mine. I don’t have a CS, just a Comp; though I should note that I am running RaceChip GTS Black on Map 7 24/7, but I didn’t drive the car enough without it to conclusively determine if it’s a contributing factor. Im no engineer, but it’s obviously got a detrimental effect in that regard. The smiles per gallon situation though goes way up.

Getting 200 miles out of a full tank is difficult for me, especially with idle time. It come with the territory and I’m absolutely fine with it.

I’ll have to check when I’m in the car again, but my overall average the last time I checked a couple weeks ago was 9.2. Doing some highway driving may tick it up slightly and briefly into double digits, but not really if you’re just absolutely cooking it and carving traffic. I truly drive this car the way it was meant to be driven about 95% of the time.
      04-25-2023, 12:14 AM   #18
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Thank you! Everything Sport+, D3, basically flooring it all the time and you’ll get there — I promise. Even (especially?) when done in a dense urban area like mine. I don’t have a CS, just a Comp; though I should note that I am running RaceChip GTS Black on Map 7 24/7, but I didn’t drive the car enough without it to conclusively determine if it’s a contributing factor. Im no engineer, but it’s obviously got a detrimental effect in that regard. The smiles per gallon situation though goes way up.

Getting 200 miles out of a full tank is difficult for me, especially with idle time. It come with the territory and I’m absolutely fine with it.

I’ll have to check when I’m in the car again, but my overall average the last time I checked a couple weeks ago was 9.2. Doing some highway driving may tick it up slightly and briefly into double digits, but not really if you’re just absolutely cooking it and carving traffic. I truly drive this car the way it was meant to be driven about 95% of the time.
Lol im pretty sure I have video footage of the car draining a gallon a minute at WOT😂 I'll have to double check to see if it recorded, if not I have the footage from the track where I averaged something like 50l/100km after 4 laps since refueling lol so around 4-5 ish mpg which is the consensus apparently
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 12:24 AM   #19
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Lol im pretty sure I have video footage of the car draining a gallon a minute at WOT😂 I'll have to double check to see if it recorded, if not I have the footage from the track where I averaged something like 50l/100km after 4 laps since refueling lol so around 4-5 ish mpg which is the consensus apparently
Okay, that’s a shit ton of fuel obviously, but 4 to 5 mpg in those conditions on track is actually not too bad!

Would love to see footage on that for some good entertainment though. I have not tracked this car at those extremes I’ve been able to run down full fuel tanks like that in a couple of Lamborghinis on track (not owned by me), probably in the realm of 20-ish minutes, but it’s exhausting to do so. I’m done for the day after a session like that.
      04-25-2023, 12:29 AM   #20
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Okay, that’s a shit ton of fuel obviously, but 4 to 5 mpg in those conditions on track is actually not too bad!

Would love to see footage on that for some good entertainment though. I have not tracked this car at those extremes I’ve been able to run down full fuel tanks like that in a couple of Lamborghinis on track (not owned by me), probably in the realm of 20-ish minutes, but it’s exhausting to do so. I’m done for the day after a session like that.
Well when I ran the whole tank out I was foot to the floor driving back from zurich to fenakfurt at like... 2 am almost no traffic and large portion of the road delimited... about 15 mins in FUEL RESERVE! (I thought I broke the car again since bmw uses the same Ding for hey, I threw a rod through the engine and also for hey.... uhm... your camera is obscured.) I look down I'm at a quarter of a tank with 32 KM remaining. Uh oh time to find a gas station and quick.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 12:36 AM   #21
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Well when I ran the whole tank out I was foot to the floor driving back from zurich to fenakfurt at like... 2 am almost no traffic and large portion of the road delimited... about 15 mins in FUEL RESERVE! (I thought I broke the car again since bmw uses the same Ding for hey, I threw a rod through the engine and also for hey.... uhm... your camera is obscured.) I look down I'm at a quarter of a tank with 32 KM remaining. Uh oh time to find a gas station and quick.
Awesome story, I did not think that’s what you were going to come back with lol.

What speed did you have to be cruising at to run fuel down like that in this car?

And totally agree about chimes. I’ve always though there needs to be different chimes for things of varied importance.
      04-25-2023, 12:39 AM   #22
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Awesome story, I did not think that’s what you were going to come back with lol.

What speed did you have to be cruising at to run fuel down like that in this car?

And totally agree about chimes. I’ve always though there needs to be different chimes for things of varied importance.
Lol what did you think I was going to come back with? And 260 kph indicated which was probably 155 mph in actuality but 161 mpg indicated since it didn't have the m drivers package. That's right around 4k rpm in 8th gear if I remember correctly.

Still best part of the trip was flashing a cop car to gtfo of the way with no repercussions as I blasted by him.
Appreciate 1