BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    in F90 from F80 and E-Class impressions

11-02-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
oxide7
Registered
Rep
Drives: g05 <- f90 <- f80

in F90 from F80 and E-Class impressions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've been in an F90 since the beginning of the year and have had some time to think about the whole experience and wanted to share some thoughts.

I had a 16 F80 ZCP MT for 3 years and it was the most fun I've ever had in stock car. Everywhere was a race track --- i would purposely look for longer ways to get to where I was going and even the most mundane of trips could turn into heart racing fun. The size was nice and it fit like a glove, though the ride was a little embarrassing when trying to have a convo w/ execs or something. But it felt at home at high speeds and the backroads alike.

After I got an e-class wagon (amg trim but not a real amg) and what I can say is the interior design was just mind-blowing. The fit and finish of just everything was just a different level -- so nice that even that was embarrasing in itself at first. In some ways its like a smaller S class -- just premium premium stuff. It drove nicely, and the turbo V6 had some pep and sounded nice actually -- but of course never got the blood flowing. It was supremely convenient and quite handsome, but made me feel like an old guy.

Finally the pandemic hit and surprisingly the price of that vehicle exploded so traded up to an F90 thinking to relive my M youth. But to any who have driven both its worlds apart to me at least.

First the power is insane. The M3 never felt slow until I drove this. Its just explosive. And it sounds alot better than the F80, even w the comp exhaust. But it feels very big and a little crazy. I dont have the balls to drive it to its limit at all, ever -- the corners, or even the highway. there's something kind of scary about it. Around 115 I start getting apprehensive, but I couldnt go fast enough in the F80. Thankfully the brakes are mega -- a lot better than the F80 -- which sometimes didnt even bite when it was raining -- weird.

After being in an E, I can say that 5 doesn't compare when it comes to cabin. IF the E is a small S, the 5 is more like a bigger 3 -- the interior lighting is tacky, there's still a lot of plastic, like the window buttons etc -- the stereo is absolutely horrible (though the Harmon in the F80 sounded surprisingly great). People often talk about having massage seats but i find them to be a me-too and uncomftoable option in the 5 after experiencing the E's legit one. But I found the community around the Merc to be lacking, the after market world like sparse and too expensive..

The biggest merit is that its an M5 car and can be driven like crazy and looks rather subltle and sporty at the same time. Still I can never really get my blood flowing in the car. Hitting the canyons is fun but its just not the same and I dont know why -- I dont feel connected to the road and even though I got some KW's it still feels a little aloof to me. It's big.

Granted its not the competition and its not a manual, but I find that I'm sort of stuck. I want to get the blood flowing like the F80 and have looked seriously into a G80, but I also dont want to look like some racer boy at this stage and the M5 is more age appropriate.... The M5 would be great on long stretch of highway like 280 or the 1 in CA, or the Taconic in NY if there werent cops everywhere.

I am really starting to think the way to scratch this itch is to get some small car on the side like a Gt4 or the likes to balance the dad/exec stuff with the inner rebel w/o a cause.

I guess my key take away is the M5 is not a M3+, and to some that may not be a surprise. But to me now I know and I can say its totally different experiences. Having grown up with JDM in the blood, and borrowing my bro's e36 whenever I could, I can say that the M3 suits me a lot better than the M5, and it just doesn't scratch that itch. If there are ways to mod it to do so I am all ears.

Just thought I'd share since I've been lurking here for months. Thanks
Appreciate 2
CGM18.00
      11-03-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
bobmd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 M5C

One car can't be everything. So get the M3 and be happy. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Buy the car you want to drive. G80 M3 look great to me and I might have bought one if AWD was available when I was shopping. The second car idea is also good if you don’t mind spending money on another car and have space. I have a turbocharged fully built E36 M3 that is now just occasionally driven. There is nothing else I would want as a second car (the E36 would then be a 3rd car) except a 991.2 or 992 Turbo or GT3 or Cayman GT4 but I am not sure I will buy one.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxide7 View Post
After I got an e-class wagon (amg trim but not a real amg) and what I can say is the interior design was just mind-blowing. The fit and finish of just everything was just a different level -- so nice that even that was embarrasing in itself at first. In some ways its like a smaller S class -- just premium premium stuff. It drove nicely, and the turbo V6 had some pep and sounded nice actually -- but of course never got the blood flowing. It was supremely convenient and quite handsome, but made me feel like an old guy.
That crap squeaks. I don't know whats wrong with MB interiors, but they all squeak to pressure. I like the F90's interior much better. Much cleaner, and no shiny juvenile looking bits.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
oxide7
Registered
Rep
Drives: g05 <- f90 <- f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmd View Post
One car can't be everything. So get the M3 and be happy. Cheers.
I admit, with the CSL grill mod the look is growing on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 06:42 AM   #6
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Get an M3. I had one before I jumped to the F90 platform, and I loved it, but I scratched that itch, and wanted some more from the car that BMW just didn't offer on the M3, like better cabin noise reduction, bigger engine, better features, etc., but with the same attitude. They aren't even close though tbh. Far different experiences, and it turns out I'm very happy with that, but I really don't think the F90 will make you happy. Just go M3. I wouldn't touch it mainly because of the design language, but the G80 platform is proving to be pretty fantastic. And yeah, get the CSL grille mod lol.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #7
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
That crap squeaks. I don't know whats wrong with MB interiors, but they all squeak to pressure. I like the F90's interior much better. Much cleaner, and no shiny juvenile looking bits.

Shawn
I had a MB earlier in the year and the squeaks were so annoying. With the used car market as it was I was able to sell it after a couple months without loosing much.

Even after spending over 5 hours putting in tessa tape all over surfaces to reduce the squeaks and rattles there were still a bunch that I couldn't find or access.

MB interiors look nice but the build quality is terrible.

The only 'squeak and rattle' issue I have had with my M5 is having to clean and lube the sunroof seals.
Appreciate 0