BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Where to move to in the US?

01-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #111
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

This is my dilemma as well. I live in OKC with a pretty decent job for a guy who screwed off through college to get a PR degree.

The traffic isn't bad, but the damn place is so spread out with poor highway access in some areas it makes getting around still a PITA. My girlfriend and I would both like to move out of the state, but:

Comparing my salary to cost of living calculators in places we like, won't get me as much of an increase as I'd like, AND of course the COL will be higher. Another thing, is that even though the COL/Pay is higher, it seems to you'll have to spend a far higher % of your money on housing than we do now........also reducing your disposable income.

I work from home 2-3 days per week and could probably go full-remote in another year or two..........but replacing my salary and benefits would be basically impossible if we moved to a small town for slower lifestyle, and something happened with the current gig.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #112
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Tradeoffs though. Lower salary in both states, but less taxes... So you may take home more money in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
That's because it's that annoying, perpetual drizzle that doesn't amount to anything. It's raining all the time but not a big rainfall. Beautiful area, though. Was there this time last year (and headed over to the east for some snow) and will be out on the San Juan and Orcas Islands in a few months.
It drizzles often in the Fall & Winter but like I said earlier from April through the end of October sunny, not oppressively hot and it might not rain for 2-3 months. I'd much rather prefer 3 inches of rain over a few days as opposed to 8 inches in an hour. You can actually go outside when it's drizzling but you wouldn't want to be outside when it's raining like it does in Texas or Florida.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #113
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

To each his own. I’ve been to Seattle multiple times and it is beautiful. I definitely miss the hiking trails. But I’ll take my chances on the flood risk in Houston rather than see grey skies everyday.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2020, 06:47 AM   #114
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Don't come to FL, we are already full of weirdos. :-P
South FL is high on the list, sorry. I have friends down there.
We have enough people here, so stay clear.
      01-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #115
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
But you are in PA. Out of college, my first job tried to move me to Erie. Hard pass.

Although I used to work in Cherry Hills and actually enjoy Philly quite a bit. This was back when Crosby was young and we had Flyers tix, so got to see him pretty often.
I'm on the other side of PA. Scenery in my area is really nice IMO & we have twisty fun roads. I live near Valley Forge. I am actually from near CH in South NJ. HATE NJ. Will never live there again...well, maybe if I was offered stupid pay I couldn't turn down

I hate Philly. Not a city guy. Especially that city. Dirty, congested, parking is terrible, etc. I either take whatever beater I have at the time, someone else drives or I won't go.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #116
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
But you are in PA. Out of college, my first job tried to move me to Erie. Hard pass.

Although I used to work in Cherry Hills and actually enjoy Philly quite a bit. This was back when Crosby was young and we had Flyers tix, so got to see him pretty often.
I'm on the other side of PA. Scenery in my area is really nice IMO & we have twisty fun roads. I live near Valley Forge. I am actually from near CH in South NJ. HATE NJ. Will never live there again...well, maybe if I was offered stupid pay I couldn't turn down

I hate Philly. Not a city guy. Especially that city. Dirty, congested, parking is terrible, etc. I either take whatever beater I have at the time, someone else drives or I won't go.
Ha, fair enough. I'm a city guy. Dallas, LA, NYC, Frankfurt and now Austin, guess I'm trending towards smaller places though.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #117
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

one of my favorite sites to search when I think about moving is

weather.gov
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #118
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Austin, Nasvhille, Orlando.

I really like these cities. If it means anything, my best friend is leaving his beloved Nashville for Orlando. Granted he has family in Orlando... but this city is growing and there are lots of cool places to live/work here. Just bring your patience, our main highway is under major construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #119
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Chattanooga,Tn. Very affordable. Beautiful trails and outdoor activities. 1hr from Nashville and Knoxville and 1.5 from Atlanta.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #120
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
Chattanooga,Tn. Very affordable. Beautiful trails and outdoor activities. 1hr from Nashville and Knoxville and 1.5 from Atlanta.
Looks expensive there. Figured a million could get a mansion.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #121
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Looks expensive there. Figured a million could get a mansion.
500k could get you a mansion here. Not sure what area you looked at..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #122
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
To each his own. I’ve been to Seattle multiple times and it is beautiful. I definitely miss the hiking trails. But I’ll take my chances on the flood risk in Houston rather than see grey skies everyday.
This is why I left the Seattle area. I loved how small the metropolis was, how there is good nightlife, restaurants, and shopping; and how the majority of people are very well educated and civil. No state income tax either.

However the climate there is just garbage. It's mild but the constant overcast skies and drizzling for a solid 8 months of year got me fed up.

My family and lot of friends are still there so I visit regularly, but I don't think I'll end up settling down there. I was just there and in 10 days I saw the sun once for 5 hours. In my profession I can live wherever the hell I want.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #123
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
It drizzles often in the Fall & Winter but like I said earlier from April through the end of October sunny, not oppressively hot and it might not rain for 2-3 months. I'd much rather prefer 3 inches of rain over a few days as opposed to 8 inches in an hour. You can actually go outside when it's drizzling but you wouldn't want to be outside when it's raining like it does in Texas or Florida.
April to Oct?

More like June/early July - late Sept. The summers are glorious but so short.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #124
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
April to Oct?

More like June/early July - late Sept. The summers are glorious but so short.
Summer have been getting long and longer. For better or worse, the past few years it's been dry essentially from end of April to the end of October.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #125
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbat View Post
Sounds like it's settled. We're all moving to Austin. No traffic, cool summers, high pay, 85mph speed limit, no tickets unless 50 over the limit, and plenty of recreation / lakes / watersports in the area. No snow or ice so summer performance tires year round. And all the roads are as smooth as glass.
Haha, yep. There's one road with an 85 mph speed limit and it's in the middle of nowhere. But all that other stuff is absolutely true.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #126
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 240i

Michigan

You could try Michigan...then you would know PA ain’t that bad after all.
Hap
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #127
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
500k could get you a mansion here. Not sure what area you looked at..
I'm not a $500k baller, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #128
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Austin, Nasvhille, Orlando.

I really like these cities. If it means anything, my best friend is leaving his beloved Nashville for Orlando. Granted he has family in Orlando... but this city is growing and there are lots of cool places to live/work here. Just bring your patience, our main highway is under major construction.
Yea, I read Orlando as 1 of the best places for work yet barely any ads for what I do.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #129
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

It's very small biz friendly here! But unless you're a lawyer, dr, or in healthcare - or engineering, most work is service industry. What kind of work are you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #130
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
It's very small biz friendly here! But unless you're a lawyer, dr, or in healthcare - or engineering, most work is service industry. What kind of work are you in?
Inside sales, account management, etc. I would love to get out of sales, though.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #131
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

You people have to drive HOURS to get to a beach???? How do you live that way?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #132
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I just got back from home (australia) and am asking myself the same thing god dammit.
Appreciate 2