BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Am I required to get service at BMW dealership for my CPO warranty to stay valid?

11-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
searay268
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Am I required to get service at BMW dealership for my CPO warranty to stay valid?

We just purchased our first BMW, a 2017 X5. At the moment, it still has the factory warranty until August 30, 2020 and then the CPO warranty will go until August 30, 2021.

It is already past the 3 year maintenance window.

Is it required to have BMW do maintenance such as oil changes to maintain the factory and CPO warranties?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

just keep records showing you have been keeping the car up to date. Example if you get a oil change done somewhere just have a record of it. So if there is any issues they can have references

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
searay268
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Thank you for the quick response.

I typically do simple maintenance like oil changes myself. As long as I keep a record of when I change oil, would that be enough?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay268 View Post
Thank you for the quick response.

I typically do simple maintenance like oil changes myself. As long as I keep a record of when I change oil, would that be enough?
I'd be inclined to get my oil changes done at a place that keeps records including VIN and milage and that includes that on the receipt. The extra money over doing it yourself would be cheap insurance,
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

honestly I have never come across that yet so I can't tell you 100%. But BMW will want to see documentation of any service that is done etc.. so if you plan on doing it yourself maybe keep receipts? I dont know bud, might want to double check with your local dealer they can give you exact answer based off BMW. We personally have not come across someone who has warranty issue who changes their own oil yet.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

what about software updates ? r they required ? or can you not have them updated.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
We personally have not come across someone who has warranty issue who changes their own oil yet.
Until someone gets a blown engine and BMW blames it on DIY oil changes
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      11-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I'd be inclined to get my oil changes done at a place that keeps records including VIN and milage and that includes that on the receipt. The extra money over doing it yourself would be cheap insurance,
I would agree. If you really want to do it yourself, Have someone else witness it and execute a signed statement as to the date, time, mileage and what you did. I am confident that you don't need to have it done by someone else (just as you don't for the OEM warranty) but it may come down to a question of proof.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
honestly I have never come across that yet so I can't tell you 100%. But BMW will want to see documentation of any service that is done etc.. so if you plan on doing it yourself maybe keep receipts? I dont know bud, might want to double check with your local dealer they can give you exact answer based off BMW. We personally have not come across someone who has warranty issue who changes their own oil yet.
Not one to tell OP how to spend / save his money but how much do you really save doing an oil change yourself by the time you buy all the stuff? Is it worth the $50 or whatever to you to deal with a potential hassle on what a $75K car if you run into warranty issue?
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10710.50
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not one to tell OP how to spend / save his money but how much do you really save doing an oil change yourself by the time you buy all the stuff? Is it worth the $50 or whatever to you to deal with a potential hassle on what a $75K car if you run into warranty issue?
It's more to know that the job is done right.

But I agree, you either go all in on warranty or all out. Although I would like to strictly have just a engine warranty but it's not really something possible here, especially if you tune it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

The law (Magnuson Voss Warranty Act) is very clear: You do not need to do oil changes at dealerships, nor even use OEM parts.

Despite lots of FUD intended to profit from $250 oil changes and $400 alignments, I have never heard of warranty denied for non-dealer oil changes. Usually it's due to mods. After a lifetime of being happy at indies and wasting many hours at dealerships, I've gone back to indies for the rest of my warranty period.

Quote:
Does Working on Your Own Car Void the Warranty?

This is a common misconception. You absolutely can do routine maintenance on your own car rather than taking it into the dealership. Feel free to change your own oil, rotate your tires and even do repairs like fixing your brakes. All you need to do is keep the receipts for any work you perform, so that you have them on hand in case you need to make a claim.

What About Outside Mechanics?

They can work on your car, too, and that won’t void your warranty either. Whether it’s routine maintenance or a repair, feel free to have the work done by a mechanic you know and trust. Just like doing the work yourself, however, you need to hold on to any receipts so that you can prove the work was done.
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/the-ma...ral-lemon-law/

Quote:
It’s illegal for an automobile dealer to deny warranty coverage just because routine maintenance or repairs were performed by another person or business. “Routine maintenance” generally includes things like an oil change, rotating tires, replacing belts, fluid checks and flushes, installing new brake pads and inspections.
https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
That depends what you consider your time worth. I can finish an oil change at home in less than 30 minutes. It takes me longer than 30 minutes to drive to the BMW dealership and who knows how long it would take them to complete an oil change. You also have to consider the time it takes to deal with the clowns in the service department to schedule you in for a time that's convenient.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
That depends what you consider your time worth. I can finish an oil change at home in less than 30 minutes. It takes me longer than 30 minutes to drive to the BMW dealership and who knows how long it would take them to complete an oil change. You also have to consider the time it takes to deal with the clowns in the service department to schedule you in for a time that's convenient.
Fair, but again it's back to saving time/money versus potential impact on warranty and that brain damage. Yeah oil change who cares, but in the event of engine failure or something serious I am a big proponent of single throat to choke, no possible way BMW has any wiggle room.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

No. Just keep records. They could deny a claim for substandard work (ex, stripped drain plug).

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
aliangF85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

For me, in the terms and conditions its not required to bring the car to BMW but it needs to be a warranty approved shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #16
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I'm surprised that the CPO dealer didn't offer to extend the scheduled maintenance program for a not-so-reasonable fee?????
      11-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Quote:
This.

Aside from saving some money, the time consideration is the biggest aspect for me. Less than an hour in my own garage vs several hours of waiting and/or multiple trips to dealer if you drop and off and take a loaner. Also as someone mentioned, for those of us that are a little anal about our cars, knowing it was done right and that no unwanted scratches/damages will appear on your car provides piece of mind.

And the risk of warranty concerns for changing your oil is zilch, provided you use the proper oil and filter.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
This.

Aside from saving some money, the time consideration is the biggest aspect for me. Less than an hour in my own garage vs several hours of waiting and/or multiple trips to dealer if you drop and off and take a loaner. Also as someone mentioned, for those of us that are a little anal about our cars, knowing it was done right and that no unwanted scratches/damages will appear on your car provides piece of mind.

And the risk of warranty concerns for changing your oil is zilch, provided you use the proper oil and filter.
Don't dealers in your area offer valet service? Where they will come to you and pick the car up and do the service then return it once done so you're not dealing with the hassle?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #19
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Don't dealers in your area offer valet service? Where they will come to you and pick the car up and do the service then return it once done so you're not dealing with the hassle?
No they do not offer this in my area that I am aware of. And to my previous point about being somewhat anal, even if they did, I would never want some random dude driving my manual transmission M car all over town.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Valet service? Do they arrive with a car on a truck, or drive one to you, and drive your car back to dealer? Lol... Because there's no chance I'm going to let some hack rev out my car on a Ferris Bueller joy ride! Hahaha...

And really, worried about warranty denial because you changed your own oil? Hahaha... Unless they could prove you didn't put oil back in, regardless of the oil used, unless kitchen oil, they'd have a hard time proving your oil somehow or another caused catastrophic failure! Keep receipts, records, log book, etc.
Appreciate 0