BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Slight vibration

03-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Exige 410

Slight vibration

Very new to the car, not yet run-in, but stretching its legs a little, but there seems to be a slight vibration that starts at around 64mph.

This isn't like a wheel-balance, shake your hands and wheel wobbling time, but a vibration all the same. It doesn't pull, and the wheel is steady.

Am I just being paranoid, or has anyone else had this?

I come from a Lotus, so I expected to feel everything on the road in that and be slightly cosseted in the M5
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
GiantRobot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

I thought wheel balance issues become more prominent as speed increases? Are you sure it's not a wheel balancing issue? Also, are you sure it's not the lane departure warning (which provides a subtle vibration)? Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Rule out a lane departure (mentioned above) warning malfunction by going into the vehicle sub menu and disabling it. See if that makes a difference. Then go to 2WD mode as well and see if that makes a difference. Check tires for blebs and of course check out the thread on transport blocks being left in by accident - I would not imagine a specific vibration from that but maybe handling dynamics off enough to cause a vibration. I imagine you’ll end up at the dealership anyway and if they have to rebalance a tire or something maybe have them check the alignment. On that thought, check for serious scuffs or any indication of rim rash that might have indicated it got curbed at some point in the delivery process. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you both, it's not the lane departure, I had turned that off (just in case). I will try 2wd mode and see if that is it - may be tomorrow, as the rain has started.

The rims are fine and there's nothing untoward on the tyres - I think, as you say it's likely to be balance or alignment

I will post when I know more.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie177 View Post
Very new to the car, not yet run-in, but stretching its legs a little, but there seems to be a slight vibration that starts at around 64mph.

This isn't like a wheel-balance, shake your hands and wheel wobbling time, but a vibration all the same. It doesn't pull, and the wheel is steady.

Am I just being paranoid, or has anyone else had this?

I come from a Lotus, so I expected to feel everything on the road in that and be slightly cosseted in the M5
UPDATE

Turns out it is a buckled alloy!

I cannot remember hitting anything hard enough to do that, so not overly happy!
Appreciate 0