BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Buggy or Not Working Launch Control?

03-27-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BSM M5C w/ 813m's

Buggy or Not Working Launch Control?

For starters I know I people talk about "flags" popping up when they initial launch control which I've never seen personally. I always have the display in M mode and maybe they only show up when not in M mode?

But now the primary reasoning of this post. Does anyone else ever initiate launch control, they see the "Launch Control Activated" pop up but the vehicle's rear doesn't drop down and lock after LC is held? I occasionally will have it happen where LC will initiate but the rear tires will automatically starts to spin without holding the launch process which honestly feels horrible and feels like something wants to break.

MOST of the time it works perfectly fine. But there is occasionally times where it happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Any time I've used launch control it activates and shows the flag/ launch control activated.

Still photo from a video of launch control attached.

If you're getting the "launch control active" words, but no flags, that could be a minor glitch in the display ?

If you're getting neither flag or words ever, most likely you're not in correct launch control settings, and rather just power braking the car. Which actually can have some success with at times if you work on perfecting that launch method. It could be you have a glitch in the display but LC is indeed working properly. But, more than likely you're not actually using launch control if neither pop up.

You'll be able to tell if you have the car set in S3 manual mode, (which is required for launch control) and the car shifts for you, despite being in S3 manual. Actual Launch control you just hold the wheel and go, no shifting by driver.

If you're in S3 manual mode, and try to launch, and youre not in LC, it'll bounce off the rev limiter 1st to 2nd gear when you go. That means you're not in launch control mode, and simply power braking. And youll need to shift manually, or be in D1-3 if you want it to shift for you.

As for the the LC being initiated and the rear wheels starting to spin that also tells me you're not in launch control mode. So it's a bit confusing when you say "where launch control will initiate" but you don't see the initiation message? and the wheels spin? That, to me, would indicate you're in the wrong settings for LC to actually be activated.

You need everything in sport plus, dsc fully off, S3 manual mode.

Mash the brake to the floor. Mash the gas to the floor. RPMs will hold at about 2-3K RPM, message pops ups quickly, almost instantly, and let go of the brake. Hold on and steer while your right foot is flooring the gas.

I don't believe you 100% need suspension/steering in sport plus? but, I do all settings in sport plus regardless. But I could be wrong. For sure engine needs to be in sport plus, transmission S3, DSC off.

I'll also add a lot of people say you don't even need to wait or try to look for the flag/message. If you do, especially on cold tires, the car can build a little too much boost if you hold gas too long before going, tires lose traction and then it short shifts into second or skips 2nd and goes right to 3rd. So I typically mash both, and maybe 1/2 second -1 second before I let the brake go.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by jnotrom711; 03-27-2023 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 10:50 PM   #3
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Any time I've used launch control it activates and shows the flag/ launch control activated.

Still photo from a video of launch control attached.

If you're getting the "launch control active" words, but no flags, that could be a minor glitch in the display ?

If you're getting neither flag or words ever, most likely you're not in correct launch control settings, and rather just power braking the car. Which actually can have some success with at times if you work on perfecting that launch method. It could be you have a glitch in the display but LC is indeed working properly. But, more than likely you're not actually using launch control if neither pop up.

You'll be able to tell if you have the car set in S3 manual mode, (which is required for launch control) and the car shifts for you, despite being in S3 manual. Actual Launch control you just hold the wheel and go, no shifting by driver.

If you're in S3 manual mode, and try to launch, and youre not in LC, it'll bounce off the rev limiter 1st to 2nd gear when you go. That means you're not in launch control mode, and simply power braking. And youll need to shift manually, or be in D1-3 if you want it to shift for you.

As for the the LC being initiated and the rear wheels starting to spin that also tells me you're not in launch control mode. So it's a bit confusing when you say "where launch control will initiate" but you don't see the initiation message? and the wheels spin? That, to me, would indicate you're in the wrong settings for LC to actually be activated.

You need everything in sport plus, dsc fully off, S3 manual mode.

Mash the brake to the floor. Mash the gas to the floor. RPMs will hold at about 2-3K RPM, message pops ups quickly, almost instantly, and let go of the brake. Hold on and steer while your right foot is flooring the gas.

I don't believe you 100% need suspension/steering in sport plus? but, I do all settings in sport plus regardless. But I could be wrong. For sure engine needs to be in sport plus, transmission S3, DSC off.

I'll also add a lot of people say you don't even need to wait or try to look for the flag/message. If you do, especially on cold tires, the car can build a little too much boost if you hold gas too long before going, tires lose traction and then it short shifts into second or skips 2nd and goes right to 3rd. So I typically mash both, and maybe 1/2 second -1 second before I let the brake go.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I'll try and get a video of it at some point? I ONLY ever drive in my M1 mode which is literally sport+ everything and DSC completely off and S3 trans.

Here's an image of what I see when I initiate launch control. There are times where I will still initiate launch control. I see this exact message but rear tires will start to spin versus holding the launch until I let off the brake. MAYBE when that happens it's because the brake isn't compressed enough to hold me but is compressed enough to initial LC somehow? I'm not sure.

Edit: Seeing now that I've actually gotten a still image I do make out that it is a flag when I use LC. However I do still have times where it still won't hold the launch.

The "Launch Control Active" message will pop up but rear tires will instantly start to spin and I'll start going forward.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:02 AM   #4
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriggsyG22 View Post
For starters I know I people talk about "flags" popping up when they initial launch control which I've never seen personally.
? I see the flag and message in your photo, So the above was a little confusing, unless maybe you never saw it before now?

At any rate, it could be you're not pressing brakes hard enough, it could also be you're holding gas for too long, and its building too much boost? Tough to say. Maybe tires too cold?

In AZ I don't typically have issue with cold tires, or losing traction with the M5 very often.

Is it in 4WD?

**Edit I see you're in 4WD Sport, that could be part of the issue, I believe 4WD sport, allows more slip of the rear wheels. Not sure if that would be the case in launch mode, but I leave mine just standard 4WD with DSC off.

Tough to say.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 03-28-2023 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 01:55 AM   #5
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
? I see the flag and message in your photo, So the above was a little confusing, unless maybe you never saw it before now?

At any rate, it could be you're not pressing brakes hard enough, it could also be you're holding gas for too long, and its building too much boost? Tough to say. Maybe tires too cold?

In AZ I don't typically have issue with cold tires, or losing traction with the M5 very often.

Is it in 4WD?

**Edit I see you're in 4WD Sport, that could be part of the issue, I believe 4WD sport, allows more slip of the rear wheels. Not sure if that would be the case in launch mode, but I leave mine just standard 4WD with DSC off.

Tough to say.

Yeah when I was referring to the flags. I was expecting something much flashier...or similar to the G8x's LC animation.

I'm in Florida so tire warmth isn't ever an issue really. As I said. MOST of the time it works fine but there are occasional times where it shows "Launch Control Activated" and shows me the flags but how the vehicle should still stay in-place and how the rear end dips? Well instead...for lack of a better term it "slips" and rear tires start to spin a tiny bit and I start moving forward.

Basically. Just imagine LC locking you down, well my LC will activate but won't lock me down. It's more or less how the vehicle would act if I hit both the brake and gas at the same time
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:22 AM   #6
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah when I was referring to the flags. I was expecting something much flashier...or similar to the G8x's LC animation.

I'm in Florida so tire warmth isn't ever an issue really. As I said. MOST of the time it works fine but there are occasional times where it shows "Launch Control Activated" and shows me the flags but how the vehicle should still stay in-place and how the rear end dips? Well instead...for lack of a better term it "slips" and rear tires start to spin a tiny bit and I start moving forward.

Basically. Just imagine LC locking you down, well my LC will activate but won't lock me down. It's more or less how the vehicle would act if I hit both the brake and gas at the same time

Yes I know what it is you're talking about, and mine does it only when launch control is not engaged correctly. Ive also seen several on YouTube reviews, or drag races do this slippage, with out knowing their settings and being inside the car would be hard to know for sure but you can clearly see some of them slip forward on YouTube.

I know some people like to launch in comfort suspension setting, try that also.

Try it when in standard 4wd, not in 4wd sport.

Also try pressing the brakes harder, as well as not allowing the boost to build too much before releasing brake.

One or all of these could be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:42 AM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

I'm gonna ask the stupid question, did you try hitting the brakes harder? Also when you activate LC, is your foot all the way down in the gas pedal? Past the little bump? If it comes off that bump it'll deactivate lc
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #8
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
As micvite said sounds like you need to put more pressure on the brakes.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble with this. It's EASY. Program your M1/M2 button to sport max everything, turn off DSC, MASH the BRAKE to the floor and then mash the gas pedal. Wait til you see the message then release brake. It's that easy. Don't pussyfoot around with the brake, hold that down hard until you see the message.

If you need more brake pressure, you can get even more brake pressure by holding the brake hard, tapping the gas pedal a little and you'll notice that you can actually feel the brake pedal go down even further. Just a little bit. I sometimes do this, but it's not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I'm gonna ask the stupid question, did you try hitting the brakes harder? Also when you activate LC, is your foot all the way down in the gas pedal? Past the little bump? If it comes off that bump it'll deactivate lc
This might be it. I may not always be pushing down to the kickdown all the same. Brake wise...I usually press it hard enough that my leg may start to get tired holding it there
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #10
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
As micvite said sounds like you need to put more pressure on the brakes.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble with this. It's EASY. Program your M1/M2 button to sport max everything, turn off DSC, MASH the BRAKE to the floor and then mash the gas pedal. Wait til you see the message then release brake. It's that easy. Don't pussyfoot around with the brake, hold that down hard until you see the message.

If you need more brake pressure, you can get even more brake pressure by holding the brake hard, tapping the gas pedal a little and you'll notice that you can actually feel the brake pedal go down even further. Just a little bit. I sometimes do this, but it's not necessary.

I know generally how to do it and definitely wouldn't say I'm pussyfooting around. I had a 2020 R8 prior to the M5 and I beat the hell out of that car. I push so hard on the brake that my leg starts to get tired if I'm holding the brake too long at a stoplight waiting for it to turn green and launch lol.

I have my M1 said to the sportiest EVERYTHING and only ever drive in M1. With that being said. I may not always be pressing the pedal past the kickdown point. I'll be checking it as
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #11
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
I know generally how to do it and definitely wouldn't say I'm pussyfooting around. I had a 2020 R8 prior to the M5 and I beat the hell out of that car. I push so hard on the brake that my leg starts to get tired if I'm holding the brake too long at a stoplight waiting for it to turn green and launch lol.

I have my M1 said to the sportiest EVERYTHING and only ever drive in M1. With that being said. I may not always be pressing the pedal past the kickdown point. I'll be checking it as
The other thing is, LC deactivates after 3 or 5 seconds so if you're sitting there for too long you're gonna start brake boosting and probably spinning tires....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #12
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
The other thing is, LC deactivates after 3 or 5 seconds so if you're sitting there for too long you're gonna start brake boosting and probably spinning tires....
Yeah that's not the reasoning. I know I'm not sitting there for too long
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 08:01 PM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:

I have my M1 said to the sportiest EVERYTHING and only ever drive in M1.”

^ Same. Love hearing this! Driving the way it was meant to be driven.