New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Silly ques: does the Z4 share the same platform w/ any other?

I guess when it's designated E89, does that refer to the platform itself, so the E85 was a diff platform, even though it is the same model Z4 in name (though, of course, diff MYs)? Does that mean Z4 is the only car using its platform?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Correct

See the complete BMW road car timeline, 1980s–present here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_%28F10%29

Scroll to the bottom of the page for all BMWs since 1980
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I guess when it's designated E89, does that refer to the platform itself, so the E85 was a diff platform, even though it is the same model Z4 in name (though, of course, diff MYs)? Does that mean Z4 is the only car using its platform?
Yes it does, but inherits 'components' from other platforms. For example the chassis:

BMW Z4 chassis secrets

EdP
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Are you confusing chassis with platform??? The platform includes things like suspension, steering, brakes, exhaust. Chassis is the underbody frame unto which all these parts are attached.

I don't know of any car manufacturing that doesn't share platforms, even Aston martins share bits with ford, mazdas and volvos.
      08-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Are you confusing chassis with platform??? The platform includes things like suspension, steering, brakes, exhaust. Chassis is the underbody frame unto which all these parts are attached.

I don't know of any car manufacturing that doesn't share platforms, even Aston martins share bits with ford, mazdas and volvos.
Yes, I think that I am. So does a platform include the chassis itself?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
I guess I'm not confusing the chassis / plaform. I wanted only to illustrate that the plaform is unique for the E89, but still RE-uses components from other platforms. So the E89 plaform parts like the suspension, steering, etc. are shared or modified parts from the E9x platforms.

Quote:
Yes, I think that I am. So does a platform include the chassis itself?
The way I understand it, I could be wrong...the chassis is part of the plaform. Also the electrical system is a part of the platform.
Chassic + electrical + suspension + ... + ... + etc. = platform
Platform + body = car

EdP

Last edited by zEdP; 08-08-2010 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Wiki had a page:

Quote:
An automobile platform is a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts, as well as major components over a number of outwardly distinct models and even types of automobiles, often from different, but related marques.
Wiki: "automotive platform"
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0