BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    New Member Intro - Prospective Buyer

01-05-2024, 08:50 AM   #1
MarcoF90
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX Type-S

New Member Intro - Prospective Buyer

Hello to all F90 owners and prospective owners alike.

Midway through 2023 I have came down with the Bimmer Bug, having been an Acura enthusiasts for a few years now.

This happened after driving a few BMWs having worked for a dealership that always had a few used Bimmers in inventory. What sealed the deal was attending the M Town Tour at one of my local BMW dealerships in my area & driving a M3 Comp xDrive.

I have been lurking around here for the past few months now. After getting decimated yesterday evening by a 2021+ M5 Competition on my way home from work, I decided its time to register and join the forum and begin making plans to convert over.

I live in the DC Metro area and currently own a pretty sweet Acura TLX Type-S that I enjoy for the most part, but the sheer power & performance just can't live up to what BMW M offers. The AWD system is exhilarating on backroads. Funnily enough I had test drove and considered an M340i before getting my Type-S but fell in love with the looks of the Type-S

Moving on, I am looking to purchase an M5 by the end of this year or early next year. I'm giving myself a lot of time because I know this will be the biggest car purchase I will make so far and I am curious to see how the used M5 market will look like price wise after the new generation M5 is revealed/released.

I am looking for:
  • 2020-2023
  • Competition Package
  • Executive Package
  • Carbon Fiber Interior Trim (if applicable)

As for color, I really enjoy having a red car, so I would ideally want a Motegi Red Metallic or Imola Red M5. However being that those are individual colors they will be very hard to find and come across for sale.

So I'm willing to settle on Marina Bay Blue or Donington Gray so long as I can get it with the aforementioned options.

I am happy to be here and will be looking around various threads to see what I should expect maintenance wise and what not.

Can't wait to join the ranks with you all!

Last edited by MarcoF90; 01-05-2024 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: I guess there's no way to add spoiler tags lol
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:42 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoF90 View Post
Hello to all F90 owners and prospective owners alike.

Midway through 2023 I have came down with the Bimmer Bug, having been an Acura enthusiasts for a few years now.

This happened after driving a few BMWs having worked for a dealership that always had a few used Bimmers in inventory. What sealed the deal was attending the M Town Tour at one of my local BMW dealerships in my area & driving a M3 Comp xDrive.

I have been lurking around here for the past few months now. After getting decimated yesterday evening by a 2021+ M5 Competition on my way home from work, I decided its time to register and join the forum and begin making plans to convert over.

I live in the DC Metro area and currently own a pretty sweet Acura TLX Type-S that I enjoy for the most part, but the sheer power & performance just can't live up to what BMW M offers. The AWD system is exhilarating on backroads. Funnily enough I had test drove and considered an M340i before getting my Type-S but fell in love with the looks of the Type-S

Moving on, I am looking to purchase an M5 by the end of this year or early next year. I'm giving myself a lot of time because I know this will be the biggest car purchase I will make so far and I am curious to see how the used M5 market will look like price wise after the new generation M5 is revealed/released.

I am looking for:[LIST][*]2020-2023[*]Competition Package[*]Executive [...]
Out of curiosity, why not consider an M3 instead of a M5?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 01:23 PM   #3
MarcoF90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Out of curiosity, why not consider an M3 instead of a M5?
Funny you ask this question, as I have a buddy who works at a local BMW Dealership and spoke with him recently and he asked me the same question. He thinks the M3 Comp would suit me better because it's more nimble than an M5 would be.

To be fair I haven't been able to test drive an M5 yet, but have drove a 530i so I got the experience of how big the G30 5 Series is, and I like the space.

My current car I get the sporty drive when I want it, but it also has the ability to be a comfortable cruiser when I need it to be especially when I have to commute into work and my commute is mainly highway. I definitely need to test drive an M5 back to back with an M3 to really see the differences. However after watching a few M5 reviews, I think I'd feel more at home in an M5.

It's something about an M5 that is more alluring to me than an M3 though I must say.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 01:33 PM   #4
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Did you talk to Marco?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:09 AM   #5
MarcoF90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMods View Post
Did you talk to Marco?
Haha who is Marco? other than myself
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 10:31 AM   #6
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

We are obviously big on F90/M5s here but I’m curious how getting decimated by an M5 converted/changed you? I think even the 540i would prob crush your Acura lol. You might want to look at that or the M550i too for comparison.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 12:09 PM   #7
EM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
We are obviously big on F90/M5s here but I’m curious how getting decimated by an M5 converted/changed you? I think even the 540i would prob crush your Acura lol. You might want to look at that or the M550i too for comparison.
+1 the M5 is at the top of its class in terms of performance, which is light years away from anything Acura makes lol but OP, welcome, we hope you find an M5 and enjoy it like we all do. Best car I’ve ever owned.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #8
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Were you surprised that the M5 was faster than your car or something?
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 06:59 PM   #9
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
As a previous Acura/Honda enthusiast (many many moons ago) the last Acura I owned was a 2007 (maybe 2008?) Acura TL Type S 6spd manual. Bought new and owned it for maybe 12-18 months. And that was after owning a few other Acuras from 2000-2008. Including 2 different Integra Type R's one fully built race car with roll cage and other large modifications to the stock Type R.

Sadly the hay day for Acura was about 1992-2008 time frame IMHO. They made som very fun cars. That time is sadly, long gone. Unfortunately the heads at Honda, seem to have abandoned enthusiast type of vehicles that made their brand exciting back then and in turn abandoned the enthusiasts also. I suppose with the exception of the civic type r. But even that is a disappointment compared to the mid 90's early 2000s Acura/Honda pedigree.

I traded that last Acura I owned for my firs of 2 Lexus IS-F's. (Lexus competitor to the E92 M3). The IS-F was a fun car, and came close to competing with the E92 M3, but still fell short. 5.0L Yamaha tuned v8 was glorious in the IS-F's compact body, RWD, and one of the first cars with the 8spd ZF transmissions and it was a very fun car for its time. Unfortunately they didn't do much to advance that car, and it stayed stagnant while the germans blew past them also. Ultimately killed it off, and now have the IS-500 which is also kind of a disappointment compared to the original IS-F even though, I think it's the same drivetrain.

OP, this was a long way of saying, you'll have a massive upgrade from the Acura to an G80 M3 Comp, and an even bigger upgrade if you go to an F90 M5 Comp. Which is what it sounds like youre doing anyway, so welcome, you wont be disappointed, and you'll soon learn what the hype of an M car is all about.

Night and day. Not just in power does the M5 eat the TLX alive, but in every aspect, and the craziest part is the Japanese' claim to fame has always been their reliability and re-sale value compared to the Europeans, however, I feel that even the tides are turning in that regard also. It's almost comical to compare the 2. They're legitimately in 2 very different leagues. Maybe in gas mileage or cost of ownership, there could be an argument LOL, but thats about it.

Leave Acura, and don't look back. Both my M5's (F10, and F90Comp) have been night and day better in EVERY WAY compared to even the best Acura I ever owned. The only thing comparable would be maybe the track cornering of a pure Integra Type R, but it quickly gets blown by in terms of power. But they do great for autocross. The TLX, and really anything Acura has to offer in the last 10-15 years is JUNK. That was confirmed when they ditched the original plan with the new NSX, and made it a v6 hybrid. It's fine for what it is, but the heritage that car came from is rolling in its grave. I dont even know if they still make the new NSX either, but I can tell you this... I've decimated 2 of those also with my M5 Comp. and it's a "super car" allegedly.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 01-06-2024 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 07:08 PM   #10
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I had an Acura Legend that was just so posh for me at the time. I bought it used for $5000 and was just so blown away by a $30k sticker price new. It was manual, too. I loved that car. Actually, thinking about it now kind of reminds me of the way I feel about the M5. The Legend was just a perfect blend (for me) of power, comfort, and elegance. I liked sleepers even back then, though I honestly can't remember if it was really all that powerful.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 10:39 AM   #11
MarcoF90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM5C View Post
+1 the M5 is at the top of its class in terms of performance, which is light years away from anything Acura makes lol but OP, welcome, we hope you find an M5 and enjoy it like we all do. Best car I’ve ever owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desking101 View Post
Were you surprised that the M5 was faster than your car or something?
I wasn't surprised at all I have been looking and researching various M cars ever since I attended the M Town Tour event last summer.

I already knew what the outcome was gonna be when I lined up with the M5 owner it has 2x the HP of my TLX. I was never looking to beat it or anything just wanted some fun runs in Mexico and see it in action with my own eyes, it was nothing short of amazing seeing how fast it can take off.

To put it simply I have had my car for awhile now I'm used to the power and I'm about ready for something faster. What better way to do this than by upgrading to a "Bavarian Monster"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
OP, this was a long way of saying, you'll have a massive upgrade from the Acura to an G80 M3 Comp, and an even bigger upgrade if you go to an F90 M5 Comp. Which is what it sounds like youre doing anyway, so welcome, you wont be disappointed, and you'll soon learn what the hype of an M car is all about.

Night and day. Not just in power does the M5 eat the TLX alive, but in every aspect, and the craziest part is the Japanese' claim to fame has always been their reliability and re-sale value compared to the Europeans, however, I feel that even the tides are turning in that regard also. It's almost comical to compare the 2. They're legitimately in 2 very different leagues. Maybe in gas mileage or cost of ownership, there could be an argument LOL, but thats about it.

Leave Acura, and don't look back. Both my M5's (F10, and F90Comp) have been night and day better in EVERY WAY compared to even the best Acura I ever owned. The only thing comparable would be maybe the track cornering of a pure Integra Type R, but it quickly gets blown by in terms of power. But they do great for autocross. The TLX, and really anything Acura has to offer in the last 10-15 years is JUNK. That was confirmed when they ditched the original plan with the new NSX, and made it a v6 hybrid. It's fine for what it is, but the heritage that car came from is rolling in its grave. I dont even know if they still make the new NSX either, but I can tell you this... I've decimated 2 of those also with my M5 Comp. and it's a "super car" allegedly.
Thank you, I'll always have soft spot for Acura/Honda as mostly all of my family drives them, (with the exception of one family member that swears by Mercedes haha) but this is pretty much where I am at opinion-wise with Acura. Believe me you I have had some fun with this TLX-S and enjoyed it for what it is good at and it's ability in the 300hp sports sedan category, its a beautiful car that looks faster than what it actually is. (Dare I say, all "show" but like half of the "Go")

But this is as fast as it gets with Acura, barring the NSX. Truth be told most Acura enthusiasts end up going German anyway. I got a few friends that have had the same car as me end up converting to BMW, Audi or Mercedes. Now its my turn, and again, I am excited to begin on this journey to M Life.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 11:55 AM   #12
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoF90 View Post

But this is as fast as it gets with Acura, barring the NSX. Truth be told most Acura enthusiasts end up going German anyway. I got a few friends that have had the same car as me end up converting to BMW, Audi or Mercedes. Now its my turn, and again, I am excited to begin on this journey to M Life.

Yes, many honda/acura past loyalists have left those brands because Honda Corp, has essentially starting in about 2006-2008 time frame gave up on making fun cars.

Cars like the integra type r, original NSX, S2000, CR-X, 90's and early 2000's Civic Si were what made the brand fun and showed their heritage, and kept the reliability with great handling, lightweight reliable cars that you could have a lot of fun with.

Why they abandoned that heritage is confusing to me, but also not confusing. I would likely still own fun Japanese cars if Honda and Toyota kept up and continued to innovate.

I get cars growing in size and weight over time, safety regulations, EPA, etc. I get it. But the germans kept advancing while Japanese focused more on hybrids and commuters. They could have kept a portion of the efficiency, and reliability, while continuing to advance handling and power. We all know Honda and Toyota have made some of the best motors (or used to) on the planet. They have tremendous racing heritage, but they just stopped caring about that stuff to a degree. I get it from a business perspective, enthusiasts make up a small portion of the brands market share. But the germans still appease enthusiasts, and make it work well from a business perspective. Why the Japanese cant, I dont know. Nissan tries, but IMHO they have always fallen a little short. They had some decent cars though as well, 300Z turbo, GTRs, 350Z, some of these were and still are fun cars.

Most have NO CLUE, and could be a big surprise, especially to Audi fans, but the V8 Audi RS4, from like 2006-2008? It's a Honda V8... but they would NOT put a V8 in any car, truck or SUV that had a Honda or Acura badge on it. It's mind blowing. They refused to put any V8s in their cars, refused to make anything RWD except the s2000, and it's just too bad, because they made some really cool cars. As did Toyota. At least Toyota used their V8s in their cars and trucks.

I have a small soft spot for honda also, I worked for them for 5-6 years. But the soft spot stops in like 2001. Which in my opinion was the real start of their abandonment of enthusiasts. the 1994-2001 Integras, Civic's are still some of the most fun cars and the 1.6-1.8L high revving B series VTEC 4cyl were and still are some of the best 4cyl motors ever made. Then the S2000, one of if not the first NA motor in history to put out over 100 hp per liter. 8-9000k redline in a production inline 4cyl motor was crazy back then. Hell most don't know but Honda was one of the first mass production companies to reliably put variable valve timing in their motors, VTEC. They didn't invent it or only ones doing it, but they were kind of the first big brand to do it, and now pretty much any ICE engine has VVT in some fashion.

Just sad IMHO. I used to be a big fan.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 01-07-2024 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 07:54 PM   #13
HighwayStar
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Imola M5C

PM sent
Appreciate 1