BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    11k miles in 5 years, rear/front diff and transfer case oil change

06-20-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

11k miles in 5 years, rear/front diff and transfer case oil change

As the title states my M5 I purchased new in August of 2018 has just over 11k miles. The vehicle notified me the brake fluid needed changed. I stopped by the dealer and they quoted me $209 for the brake fluid change. In addition, they told me the rear and front differential needed the oil changed along with the transfer case and an oil change. Total price $1074 for the aforementioned maintenance procedures.

I contacted my local independent European garage and they told me I should forgo the rear / front differential and transfer case fluid change since my vehicle is garaged and has only 11k miles. They did state to go ahead with the brake fluid change and oil change. What are your thoughts on not preforming oil change for the differentials and transfer case?

Part of me says to change them and be done with it. I have contemplated doing the maintenance tasks myself, since I have changed both differentials and transfer case fluids on my Tacoma 4X4. Since I have the PDF instructions for the maintenance, I am contemplating having the transfer case being done at BMW since they only want $179 to do the job since I do not have a way to activate the solenoids in the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:07 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Do the brakes now and other fluids at 5 years as preventative maintenance based on age rather than mileage. You can buy a scan tool that will activate the transfer case pump or you can drain the roughly half that comes out, drive for a day or 2, do it again, and then again to finish off the 1L of fluid. Fluid should then be 7/8 fresh. I hope you have other more exciting cars that you are choosing to drive instead while this fun car sits.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      06-24-2023, 09:16 PM   #3
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Decided to have the dealer do everything since I having been working a plethora of overtime over the past 6-months. Normally I would do it since I like wrenching on all our vehicles. However, the wife of 37 years told me not to be a cheap ass and just have the dealership do it. So, as they say, happy wife, happy life.

On a different note, which I find funny, they gave me a 2021 BMW 228i as a loaner but the lady who checked her vehicle in a 330i got a X5 as a loaner when I was at the dealership. It reminds of the time back in 1995 when I bought a new Chevy Corvette ZR-1 and during the first week of ownership I had a problem and they needed the vehicle for several days. They brought out a 95 Geo Metro (3 cylinder) as a loaner car. I had to laugh and asked, can I use my 1992 Corvette I traded in on the ZR-1. Long story short I used my 92 Corvette while they worked on my ZR-1.
Appreciate 4
      08-02-2023, 02:26 PM   #4
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

I just had my front and rear diff and transfer done at exactly 5 years and 30, 000 miles. It was 1,275 plus tax, and didn't include oil change. I guess plugs are next.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBob View Post
I just had my front and rear diff and transfer done at exactly 5 years and 30, 000 miles. It was 1,275 plus tax, and didn't include oil change. I guess plugs are next.
What about the transfer case?
Appreciate 0