BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    120k M5 vs tesla plaid

04-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #23
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Aside from 0-60, nothing else about it can even compare to the M5, including once you get above 60mph. It's a gimmicky toy tossed together by a now predictably overpromising and underdelivering fad company. The M5 was conceived with thought and evolution of a heritage product. The Tesla was conceived with impulsivity, haste, and megalomania mixed with poor attention to detail. It's a choice between one of the highest quality petrol super-sedans that will ever be made, and the earliest and most premature conception of an attempted electric super-sedan to ever be made.
Appreciate 4
Neptune71432.50
Laki021366.50
MoeMuc118.50
      04-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #24
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Agreed, the RS e-tron GT is a beauty inside/out and zero to get 100 in 3.3 sec, those are M5 numbers and a way better looking and more luxurious than Tesla! Like one of the members said earlier, it looks like a Mazada or even cheaper car to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
If you really want EV (although I would stick to the M5), take Audi e-tron GT or Tycan.

Tesla is a toy compared to any of those cars. It might be a bit quicker 0-60, but that gets old very quickly, the others are much better cars overall.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #25
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

It still look like the S model not difference.... These cars age pretty quick, my buddies S is a 2019 and it looks like 10 years old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Not a problem in the near future.

The Tesla Plaid will run 9.x @ 150+ MPH, and the Plaid+ will run 8.x (according to Elon) so it will only get one run before being thrown off the track as I don't expect anyone to install the required parachute.

Thus, charge level won't be an issue ;-).
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #26
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

My wife has a new Model Y and I HATE it. Interior is pure garbage, it rattles, and the tech is so glitchy it is like having a 20 year old version of Windows. Every other day something is wrong and I'm constantly having to reset, remove and reinstall profiles, etc. It's fast as heck from say 40-60 mph (like being in 2nd gear in my M8). Other than that, 33 months until the lease is up. Did I mention I despise the car!?
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #27
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have a friend who has been trying for months to talk me into buying one and I keep hinting in a nice way, that the car is a toy and an ugly one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappadoc33 View Post
My wife has a new Model Y and I HATE it. Interior is pure garbage, it rattles, and the tech is so glitchy it is like having a 20 year old version of Windows. Every other day something is wrong and I'm constantly having to reset, remove and reinstall profiles, etc. It's fast as heck from say 40-60 mph (like being in 2nd gear in my M8). Other than that, 33 months until the lease is up. Did I mention I despise the car!?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #28
Jimmy K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C Donington Gray/Blk

I bought my wife a 2017 Model X, and it's been problem free so far. She loves it.

If the Taycan comes out with a car with similar performance stats as the Plaid Model S, it's going to be hard to resist (if it's under 180k)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #29
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

"...if it's under 180k..."

Narrator: It won't be

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #30
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
"...if it's under 180k..."

Narrator: It won't be
Indeed, the top model Taycan Turbo S is already north of $180k even before adding all the usual Porsche options and is not even close to the projected Tesla Plaid performance.

I have no doubt that Porsche will eventually catch up on performance, but I have never seen an instance in which Porsche increases the performance of a model but holds the line on price.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:27 AM   #31
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Teslas are freaking fast. The performance is amazing. However, after having driven both a Model S and Model Y, my assessment is this: dear lord the interiors are crappy. Fit and finish are terrible. The Model S after one year of usage looks like the interior of a Kia.

I’m also not a fan of the exterior looks, but if that’s what you like, then at least it’s better than a car with a bronze grille.

Bottom line: Cars have to look the part, both inside and out. Teslas perform well but they look like eggs and have terrible interior quality
Well said. I checked out a friends Tesla Model S and was shocked by how bad the interior was compared to an M5. There is no comparison. Also, the Tesla interior ages really fast. It looked so beat up after just a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #32
Hirenarora
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by illamint View Post
I picked up my new '21 M5 Competition last Friday, and it has two options that I think are really key when comparing to a Tesla: the M Performance Exhaust and the Driving Assistance Plus package.

The sound of the car with the MPE is unbelievable. It's so good. If you want subtle, don't get it, but if you're not worried about pissing off the neighbors (too much), go for it. You'll never get that sound and feeling (literally—the feeling of the vibrations in your chest after a cold start) with a Tesla.

Second, Driving Assistance Plus is great. Maybe Tesla's full self driving features are better, but in heavy NYC-area traffic, the M5 is an extremely comfortable and relaxing place to be. I got stuck in traffic caused by two big accidents on I-495 this weekend, and the M5 drove itself under 40 MPH with no problems. I sat back in the massaging seats, turned some music on, and chilled out. Admittedly, the adaptive cruise control does require occasional intervention, and it's not complete, hands-free, on ramp to off ramp magic, but I'm not sure I'd trust anything that claimed to be, and I think it's good enough to take away 90%+ of the pain of boring driving.

If I commuted every day, I would likely consider a Tesla, but I don't, and I'd never—ever—consider a Tesla for a pleasure vehicle. Maybe a Taycan or e-tron, but Teslas just don't do it for me.
I also own a 2020 M5 with a M performance exhaust. Also thinking of ordering a Tesla plaid but the sound of M performance is keeping me from ordering the plaid. I absolutely love this car & I think will regret if I move to Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #33
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

The Model S is the fastest toaster on the road. I have always thought the Model S had basically a Camaro interior, pretty sad effort, IMO. I love to blast by those guys with my Remus exhaust on scream. haha

I would buy a new Mercedes EQS (holy shit that dash) before a Tesla if I wanted an EV.....but I'm not that old...yet. lol
Burger Tuning JB4, H & R 550 springs, spacers 13mm front and 10mm rear, Michelin PS4S 285/30/20 front, 295/30/20 rear, Remus racing exhaust, Eventuri V2 intake, Suntek Ultra PPF entire car, ceramic coated wheels/brakes, 20% ceramic tints, assorted CF bits.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #34
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Just record the sound from your M5 onto a USB thumb drive and play it back in your Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #35
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Teslas are freaking fast. The performance is amazing. However, after having driven both a Model S and Model Y, my assessment is this: dear lord the interiors are crappy. Fit and finish are terrible. The Model S after one year of usage looks like the interior of a Kia.

I’m also not a fan of the exterior looks, but if that’s what you like, then at least it’s better than a car with a bronze grille.

Bottom line: Cars have to look the part, both inside and out. Teslas perform well but they look like eggs and have terrible interior quality
Totally agree. We leased a Model X shortly after it came out in 2016. I just had my 2013 F10 550i (purchased in 2012) at the time and you can't compare the two interiors/fit and finish. The Tesla's interior just wasn't as refined and the fit and finish was nowhere near that of my 4 year old F10. The Tesla's interior sounded hollow and just too plain. I understand the minimalist approach to Tesla's design language but compared to BMW, Mercedes and other brands that command the same price point, it just doesn't look the part. I would say only the touchscreen had a very solid feel but not sure about the new designs as I haven't seen them in person. What also bothers me is that Tesla's pricing is non-negotiable with no dealer/middleman and leasing terms/numbers is what it is, which takes the fun out. It's a no brainer I guess with the purchasing/leasing process. Just have to say we were eager to return the car after the 3 year lease. The Tesla tech and electric novelty wore off fast for us. Just miss the good old engine sound and feedback. Also just a quick few minutes to gas up the car and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #36
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
6. Not becoming a member of the cult 😀
Cult knows cult. LOL...reading the reasons not to get a Tesla Plaid over an M5. back in the day, one picked an M5 because of the performance, now it is looks, leather, and stuff. Amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #37
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueString View Post
Totally agree. We leased a Model X shortly after it came out in 2016. I just had my 2013 F10 550i (purchased in 2012) at the time and you can't compare the two interiors/fit and finish. The Tesla's interior just wasn't as refined and the fit and finish was nowhere near that of my 4 year old F10. The Tesla's interior sounded hollow and just too plain. I understand the minimalist approach to Tesla's design language but compared to BMW, Mercedes and other brands that command the same price point, it just doesn't look the part. I would say only the touchscreen had a very solid feel but not sure about the new designs as I haven't seen them in person. What also bothers me is that Tesla's pricing is non-negotiable with no dealer/middleman and leasing terms/numbers is what it is, which takes the fun out. It's a no brainer I guess with the purchasing/leasing process. Just have to say we were eager to return the car after the 3 year lease. The Tesla tech and electric novelty wore off fast for us. Just miss the good old engine sound and feedback. Also just a quick few minutes to gas up the car and you're good to go.
Is the new Plaid's interior supposed to be much better? At least from the reviews, people are saying it's at par with other luxury brands. The yoke steering wheel on the other hand makes no sense to me. It was an unnecessary change. But that is Tesla pulling an Apple...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #38
Jocko78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 / X3 M40i

You just need one reason for the M5, enjoy it while you can as a daily, you'll have plenty of opportunity to drive an EV.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #39
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

When I see a Tesla, I think that's neat.
When I see an M5 I think holy sh*t that's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #40
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Teslas are cute like apple watches and selfie sticks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #41
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
Teslas are cute like apple watches and selfie sticks.
Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #42
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
Aside from 0-60, nothing else about it can even compare to the M5, including once you get above 60mph. It's a gimmicky toy tossed together by a now predictably overpromising and underdelivering fad company. The M5 was conceived with thought and evolution of a heritage product. The Tesla was conceived with impulsivity, haste, and megalomania mixed with poor attention to detail. It's a choice between one of the highest quality petrol super-sedans that will ever be made, and the earliest and most premature conception of an attempted electric super-sedan to ever be made.
LOL. Wishful thinking. The Plaid will likely best the M5 in any scenario from 0-200. Let's wait for some comparisons to come out. So far Plaid has set a number of performance records - not just 0-60. Not aware for the M5. The M5 is an awesome car, but to trash talk another is a sure sign of insecurity. IMHO.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #43
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
LOL. Wishful thinking. The Plaid will likely best the M5 in any scenario from 0-200. Let's wait for some comparisons to come out. So far Plaid has set a number of performance records - not just 0-60. Not aware for the M5. The M5 is an awesome car, but to trash talk another is a sure sign of insecurity. IMHO.
Agree. Hard to believe these Tesla haters want to talk trash about the performance of a car that can run 9.2x quarters at 150+ MPH over and over in the Florida summer heat right off the showroom floor.

People should look at some of the most recent videos. It is mind boggling to see the Tesla Plaid pull away from some really fast ICE cars at the start, middle and finish of the 1/4.

I would agree that the Tesla Model S interiors are acceptable but not at the level of MB or Audi or even higher end BMW. I have not been in a Plaid so I can't say whether things have improved there. Regardless, there is no rational way to argue with the performance of the Plaid (or the Porsche Taycan Turbo S, which while slower than the Plaid is on par with the 911 Turbo S).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #44
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

You guys are missing the point. Yes they are insanely fast. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc will soon be making EVs far more compelling as whole packages with soul and palpable quality. The M5 may be slower than the Tesla fully charged on its first run, but is a better product for a driving enthusiast. It'll do it over and over and over while the Tesla's battery will start tapping out.
Appreciate 0