BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Akrapovic Valve Controller

07-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #1
Thresherinc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5, MB SLK 350

Akrapovic Valve Controller

Has anybody installed one of these?

I stumbled across one for less than half price, never installed apparently.

Decided to pull the trigger, wondering if there’s any feedback on the device itself and/or tips for installation?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 01:00 PM   #2
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

I have it but never installed it. I don’t understand why I would need a separate device to open and control the valves when the Eco/Sport/Sport + options do that for you. The only reason I guess that you would install it is to be able to open the valves from your phone using the Akra app that utilizes blue tooth to the controller itself.

Even on startup they are open so I couldn’t figure out where the advantage is lol.

Maybe someone else has an idea that makes sense as to why someone would need to install it?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 01:13 PM   #3
Thresherinc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5, MB SLK 350

I'm assuming the valves work in the same manner the M3 ones do, they never fully open and open in correlation to the percentage of throttle you have open.

Of course assumptions and all that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresherinc View Post
I'm assuming the valves work in the same manner the M3 ones do, they never fully open and open in correlation to the percentage of throttle you have open.

Of course assumptions and all that.
If put the car in sport + and look in my exhaust I can see the valves fully open. Maybe this is different if you are in in Europe? They even make an audible “click” sound when the actuator moves them fully open.

I just don’t understand where the advantage of adding and/or installing the valve controller is. Ben at RG Sport and I spoke about this when Akra started including the sound kit in systems that were shipped out around mid-late 2022. They didn’t include in the past. Neither one of us understood the advantage.
Appreciate 0