BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 (or all BMWs?) Depreciate Like a Lead Weight?

04-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #45
GhostOne_322
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 CS (BSM/Red/Gold)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
My M5, just for the record, is the base, not the C.

I have remote start on my Raptor and it’s either through the key fob or app on phone. If I’m coming home on train and it’s snowed, I will start it 10 minutes before I get to where it’s parked so some snow will have melted off windshield.

The M5, not being a winter car so to speak, no, remote start means nothing to me.
My suggestion would be to keep the M5 and trade in the Raptor once the the Ram TRX comes out. Either way, enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #46
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
yes BMW depreciate more than other German cars , because BMW adopted the model of over producing cars and give incentives to move them , so that trickles down to the used car values ...
also expensive big sedans are not that popular in general , so they depreciate even faster than regular BMW vehicles
on the bright side , because BMW leases are cheaper than other companies, the community is much larger than other companies, so it is easier to transfer a lease
to someone else ... and in your situation you could have given an incentive for someone to take over your lease and BMW makes the process fairly easy.
so the lesson is : never buy a BMW unless you plan on keeping it for several years , just lease them and transfer out when you want
Exactly the reason I leased they decrepiate so fast in value. With the lease I can enjoy it for the time being and when it comes due I either keep it or walk away and get something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #47
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

As noted many times above in this and other threads, nearly all high – end vehicles depreciate rapidly in the first few years. There are of course isolated exceptions, but they are just that.

When I picked up my 2020 M5C at the end of last November (fairly loaded with a good amount of carbon fiber and a MSRP of $131k), even after my negotiated discount the 36 month/10k or 12k mi. per year (can't recall, but I think it was 10k mi.), $-0- Cap Reduction Lease, at the Base Money Factor including California Taxes, was approximately $1850 per month ($66,600 over the Lease Term). I searched nationwide for 3 to 4 months for an acceptable combination M5C (including 2019 and 2020 models), and including low mileage used cars, and the Lease rates were really not that much better. And yes, I understand that there are certain tax advantages in leasing.

In my particular case, this put the matter into perspective: if I wanted to dump the car in only a year or a few years, it was going to be expensive. On the other hand, if I purchased the car I at least had the option of selling the car when I wanted rather than relying on Lease Trader/Lease Hacker, etc. I have sold cars before with reasonably good success, but not after one year.

So it really depends on the situation for each individual.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:30 AM   #48
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
Hopefully! By the way, DROOLING over your pic up there! Definitely going MBB. Man, that thing is beeyootiful!!!
Many thanks.
      04-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #49
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

In the UK the lease payments tend to cover the depreciation - is it different in the US?
Appreciate 0