BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Connected Drive vehicle finder / location issue

03-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
dani.petrov
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XM

Connected Drive vehicle finder / location issue

G'day,

I have quite an annoying issue with my X7. It's about vehicle location and its driving me nuts. Every time I park the car on my driveway, shortly after that the location is unavailable within the app! (I don't know if it's only when the car is on my driveway though). Typically, If I travel & leave car to other places for short period of time is okay. The weirdest thing is that every so often my car will appear in Belgium or Netherlands (different locations there!) I have had numerous of calls with BMW Connected Drive genius team and had gone through the reset vehicle settings, restarting the system, deleting applications, etc, etc. Nothing helped :| I am wondering has anyone else experienced similar problems and does anyone have an idea what could it possibly be? I am not quite sure how does the location service work in general, but my assumption is that the vehicle is reporting the GPS coordinates every so often using the mobile sim inside. So could it be a problem with the GPS when stationary?

Whilst experiencing location tracking, I am able to (through the app) turn on / off lights, unlock the car, even the 3D view is working fine. It's just the vehicle location that is not working...

I tried searching around but couldn't find anything similar.. Apologies if I have missed it. Any thoughts, feedback or suggestion is more than welcome!

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Does your vehicle have a clear view of the sky (satellites) when parked in the driveway? Can you experiment by parking your vehicle in the street, down the street or somewhere near your house where it can be left for some time, where it has a clear view of the sky without restrictions?

What times of day do you notice the location problem? If you are not sure, start a log or journal. Connected vehicle services in my opinion suffer from reduced performance during peak network traffic times. This is the case with Mercedes' poor introduction of connected services.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
dani.petrov
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XM

It does have clear, unobstructed access to the sky. I have never had that problem with my previous X5 & 5 Series that I owned previously.

As of what time do I notice problem manifesting - it's pretty much all the time. As soon as I get home, maybe 5-10 min. after that it happens. I was out for the last few hours with the car and I parked in a public, open parking. I was able to locate it 10/10 times within the 2.5-3 hours period the car was there... Really weird and annoying :/
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50