E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP failed, car wouldnt start til map 0

01-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Sal G@Camber-Toe
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6mt

HPFP failed, car wouldnt start til map 0

I just somehow made it home and was stuck in a parking lot for 30 min due to the hpfp going. I went to start it up, got a long crank and then "Engine Malfunction" and it just died. After about 5 or 6 attempts to start it I changed the jb3 to map 0 and it started up. No "Engine Malfunction" but it still has the check engine light. Car was running completely like crap, felt shakey and now I have a fear of driving it. My only mods are in my sig and the car has just under 3800 miles on it.

The jb3 is coming out asap, should I leave these codes and just bring it in? Or clear them, take the jb3 out and see if it comes up again? Ill post the log later.

Edit: I did a short test with the bt scanner and it came up with 2 codes of
29F2 fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure
and I also for some reason got:
Dynamic stability control 6ec4 and
5f45 brake fluid level too low
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

leave those codes and pull JB, one has nothing to do with the other. have dealer examine
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

This brings up one of the questions that I had. Has anyone had an HPFP failure and not been able to start the car to make sure none of the codes were thrown because of the JB3 ? Does the car even need to be started to read the codes ? Anyone have any troubles getting the JB3 out because you were stuck on the side of the raod and could not get the car home to take it out ? OK well more than one question I guess .... LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
That was always my fear, being stuck on the side of the road not being able to take the tune out before the tow truck comes. Just keep the tools you need with you, and hope you dont get stuck in a bad area.

Oh and of course remove the tune, leave the codes, and call bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
That was always my fear, being stuck on the side of the road not being able to take the tune out before the tow truck comes. Just keep the tools you need with you, and hope you dont get stuck in a bad area.

Oh and of course remove the tune, leave the codes, and call bmw.
But don't you need to check to see if any of the codes was caused by the tune ?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Sal G@Camber-Toe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
leave those codes and pull JB, one has nothing to do with the other. have dealer examine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
This brings up one of the questions that I had. Has anyone had an HPFP failure and not been able to start the car to make sure none of the codes were thrown because of the JB3 ? Does the car even need to be started to read the codes ? Anyone have any troubles getting the JB3 out because you were stuck on the side of the raod and could not get the car home to take it out ? OK well more than one question I guess .... LOL
Thanks for the info, will keep you posted.
....And dont wtf?>
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
But don't you need to check to see if any of the codes was caused by the tune ?!?!?
Ive never thrown any codes on jb3 map5. But once the car is at the dealership, they wont look at it right away. Go home, get the laptop and bt tool, go to the dealership and tell them you need to get stuff out of it, and check for codes.

This is the price we must pay for owning an unreliable bmw with a warranty voiding tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

if you have Jb questions they should be on the N54tech.com since thats run by BMS. You will get faster and actual tech support from them. Thats what they are known for

the car does not need to be running to clear codes. no tuner codes were thrown on your car, remove JB3 and take to dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Sal G@Camber-Toe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
if you have Jb questions they should be on the N54tech.com since thats run by BMS. You will get faster and actual tech support from them. Thats what they are known for

the car does not need to be running to clear codes. no tuner codes were thrown on your car, remove JB3 and take to dealer
I'm not sure whats going on with the threads, should ask the mods. But couldnt the same be said with procede related issues? Shouldnt they be posted on Vishnu forums? I wasnt lookin to start anything with that.... Im just unsure why it would start after I switched to map 0, and being my first HPFP problem I wasnt sure exactly what to do or look for. I'm going to scan again and look further for tune codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

by all means post asking question here, but we see this all the time, and the fastest way to HELP YOU, is to post up over there or email BMS themselves
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think that they should make a subsection in the turbo forums for tune related problems. Because all the tune error stuff clogs up the other stuff. Then the tuners would also know right where to look to check for issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I think that they would make a subsection in the turbo forums for tune related problems. Because all the tune error stuff clogs up the other stuff. Then the tuners would also know right where to look to check for issues.
I think that's a good idea. The wars get old.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Interesting idea, a troubleshooting help forum. Too bad we can't get Mike Miller...

But as far as tunes go, how many times does it have to said: contact the sources!
Appreciate 0