BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Stained dash

10-17-2023, 08:12 PM   #1
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

Stained dash

Anyone know how to remove what looks like some kind of stain on my dash? It looks like 3 blotches from what I can tell. Idk what might have happened but I noticed it in the windshields reflection over the weekend. I cleaned it with some Lexol cleaner and it looks better but still noticeable. I’m not really well versed in leather care outside of cleaning/conditioning so any suggestions are appreciated.

Not sure how it got there. It was at the dealer for a week a few weeks ago and that’s the only time it has been out of my care. I didn’t put any food on the dash or anything lol.
Attached Images

10-18-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

If it is oil residue from someone putting oily hands on the dash you can try and see if a little baking soda or cornstarch will absorb some of the oil residue. Leave it on the spots overnight and vacuum it off. That would be safer to start with before moving on to a more aggressive cleaner.
Appreciate 1
Namelss766.00
      10-18-2023, 03:57 PM   #3
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Agree with smbsocal on levels of abrasiveness. I had something similar on another part of my interior and the guy at my dealer who conditions/repairs leather said to take a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. Try a tiny spot first with a Q-tip or similar and see if you're successful. It worked for me. You really should make the dealer clean that, but they'll never admit guilt.

Last edited by zman21; 10-18-2023 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Namelss766.00
      10-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

Thank you both! I tried the alcohol last night and it worked pretty well. The stains are barely detectable so I think I'm good. Appreciate your help, I did a quick search before posting here and I found all kinds of weird suggestions like tartar sauce and vinegar and shit.

You know and I know the dealer was likely responsible but I had no evidence of that and I didn't want to be that crazy customer accusing them of anything. They probably would have only made it worse anyway. Besides, we're even after the way I treated my M440i loaner.
      10-19-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Glad it worked. I try to keep things simple and not use home remedies which may actually make things worse. You really have to know the type of stain you're working with to then apply the appropriate cleaner. I find rubbing alcohol works in a lot of cases such as this, but recommend you dilute it.

FWIW, I always take some pics of my car (both interior and exterior) prior to dropping it for service. You could also do video, too. Normally most dealers take pics at least of the exterior panels when you check the car in, but I've had a few incidents where they performed service and returned the car not in the same condition as when I dropped it off (I know you all are shocked!). Pics/video don't lie and will serve as evidence as long as you have a time stamp which almost all smart devices do.

Last edited by zman21; 10-19-2023 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Namelss766.00
      12-04-2023, 12:40 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post
Thank you both! I tried the alcohol last night and it worked pretty well. The stains are barely detectable so I think I'm good. Appreciate your help, I did a quick search before posting here and I found all kinds of weird suggestions like tartar sauce and vinegar and shit.

You know and I know the dealer was likely responsible but I had no evidence of that and I didn't want to be that crazy customer accusing them of anything. They probably would have only made it worse anyway. Besides, we're even after the way I treated my M440i loaner.
Alcohol on leather is a really bad idea. It will dissolve the finish.
Appreciate 0