BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Who has had to replace their battery?

05-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #67
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have a Noco trickle charger with settings for regular, AGM and lithium. It was about $50 on sale. But you can buy a lithium charger for as little as about $25 on Amazon. Not sure what I would do with the little Bluetooth device. I drive my car regularly so I don’t worry. Probably more useful to those who travel a lot of lengths of time or have a bunch of cars to drive.

JThe factory battery shuts itself off of voltage drops too much, like some other lithium batteries. If it is going to fail, it is going to fail. I’ll get a new one when that time comes.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #68
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Not sure what I would do with the little Bluetooth device. I drive my car regularly so I don’t worry. Probably more useful to those who travel a lot of lengths of time or have a bunch of cars to drive.
The unit I bought has three main areas of function it checks and records. I won’t go into detail, if you have an interest their website can provide the info you want. Regarding Voltage it will show you current voltage and percentage of charge among other related status conditions. It can give you a 31 day readout by day and hour of the voltage history. The Cranking app shows you info regarding the starting procedure. The Charge test page gives you alternator performance at either low or high rpm levels. I haven’t tested it, but I’m curious if our cars do provide a higher level of charging during braking? Anyway, a multitude of reference points to research if there is ever a problem, and testing to alert you to possible failures before they happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #69
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have a Noco trickle charger with settings for regular, AGM and lithium. It was about $50 on sale. But you can buy a lithium charger for as little as about $25 on Amazon. Not sure what I would do with the little Bluetooth device. I drive my car regularly so I don’t worry. Probably more useful to those who travel a lot of lengths of time or have a bunch of cars to drive.

JThe factory battery shuts itself off of voltage drops too much, like some other lithium batteries. If it is going to fail, it is going to fail. I’ll get a new one when that time comes.
I use the monitor mostly for my X5 because they're known to eat batteries and my wife only works 5 miles from the house so it doesn't do long drives anymore. So I check it once a month to know if it needs to be brought into the garage and charge
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #70
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

None of that info would help me.

This is from the F10 M5 but I think it applies to the F90 as well:

There is an additional system in the car related to braking called "Brake Energy Regeneration". In most cars, the alternator is continuously run whenever the engine is turning over. In this car, when accelerating or coasting the alternator is disconnected leading to a smaller engine load and more efficiency.

As long as the battery stays above a certain threshold, the only time the alternator is connected and drains shaft energy is during braking, either by means of engine overrun or when applying the brakes directly
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #71
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
None of that info would help me.

As long as the battery stays above a certain threshold, the only time the alternator is connected and drains shaft energy is during braking, either by means of engine overrun or when applying the brakes directly
Is that because your cars provide more information than the incredibly poor “battery maintenance” message that the F90 shows us as Aronis reported? We have no clue and this BT device will be helpful in case of a problem. As Aronis mentioned, the car with its sophisticated electronics could give us so much more info, but BMW wants us to visit their service centers whenever the car tells us to. That’s why they shut down the newTIS website. We can pay online or at the dealership.

If your alternator stops working, or the charging system fails in some other way, and your battery charge drops below a working voltage, you don’t care to know why you’re having to use your Noco charger on a daily basis to be able to start the car? Or do you just assume it’s the battery and replace it?

Yes, I know and that’s exactly why I’ll be interested to see if that shows up on the charging display as I’m braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #72
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

No. I just don’t have battery OCD. I don’t use my Noco charger on my F90 because I drive the car regularly. I do use it on my turbo E36 M3 that I dont drive much anymore and noticed that it has a lithium setting.

If I start having battery issues with the F90, I will figure out what they are. I understand a little about auto electrics, and have rewired cars, changed alternators, starters, batteries, etc. I have used AGM batteries but don’t have any experience with lithium. But the internet knows everything and I can learn when the time comes. I also have a laptop loaded with all the factory BMW software and a Launch x431 PAD V.

If I bought the $49.95 battery monitor and phone app, I would not use it until I had a problem, so there is no point for me. I have too many other things to do and enough things to monitor as it is.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 05-16-2022 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:39 AM   #73
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. I just don’t have battery OCD.

If I start having battery issues with the F90, I will figure out what they are.

If I bought the $49.95 battery monitor and phone app, I would not use it until I had a problem, so there is no point for me. I have too many other things to do and enough things to monitor as it is.

I don’t have battery OCD either, but having the $36 monitor from Antigravity installed will help me figure out what the source of a potential battery issue might be, just as you plan to do if you have one. Also, like you, I won’t be activating the app on my phone at all once I satisfy my curiosity to learn if the charging rate does increase during braking. If the dreaded “battery maintenance” message pops up, the monitor at least gives me a start on solving the problem. Cheap peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #74
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Update.

My dad's M5, same 2018, just had a "Main Battery Malfunction" warning on the main screen. He was able to get it to the dealer.

It appears a culprit can be having you radar detector or other devices 'on' even though it was THOUGHT that the power shuts down. It in fact may NOT be shutting down, and after it goes QUIET (5 minutes) and appears that the Radar detector turns off, it may come back on.

So there is no real SWITCHED OFF power supply in the design.

So, if you have such devices you should consider another plan. Pain to have to unplug each time, but this may be necessary evil.

Or always plug in the trickle charger. Who the hell knows!!

I'm bringing my car in for a new battery in a couple weeks.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:05 AM   #75
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwNmini View Post
Hi, if anyone here is looking for a genuine BMW 61217857288 Rear Lithium Battery, I have a brand new one that I'm selling on Ebay for substantially less than retail. You can also message me and I'll sell it to you off-Ebay for less to avoid the fee if you are ok with that. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186196795508
Jeez, you only posted 5 posts on this forum, all about your battery.

Get the hell outa here.
Appreciate 2
Aronis2273.00
wesleyan921408.00
      12-09-2023, 04:41 AM   #76
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwNmini View Post
Hi, if anyone here is looking for a genuine BMW 61217857288 Rear Lithium Battery, I have a brand new one that I'm selling on Ebay for substantially less than retail. You can also message me and I'll sell it to you off-Ebay for less to avoid the fee if you are ok with that. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186196795508
STFU
Appreciate 1
wesleyan921408.00