E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > HELP! Strange braking noise driving me insane.

09-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330i

HELP! Strange braking noise driving me insane.

I have had this noise for a while now. The rear left disc was warped which may be linked to this noise I'm not sure. Anyway I had new discs, pads, handbrake shoes and fitting kit. Upon fitting the garage noted that's me of the old handbrake shoe pins were snapped. Anyway all new parts were fitted and it was great, no noise - for about a week anyway lol. So the car went back into the garage where it was found another pin had snapped! So they fitted a new one but the sound still persists. It's driving me absolutely bonkers and is quite loud. It's more of a squeal from the pads at mid speed but when under 15 mph with light pressure you can hear the creaking noise as per the video it almost sounds spring related? Any help greatly appreciated

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysh1990 View Post
I have had this noise for a while now. The rear left disc was warped which may be linked to this noise I'm not sure. Anyway I had new discs, pads, handbrake shoes and fitting kit. Upon fitting the garage noted that's me of the old handbrake shoe pins were snapped. Anyway all new parts were fitted and it was great, no noise - for about a week anyway lol. So the car went back into the garage where it was found another pin had snapped! So they fitted a new one but the sound still persists. It's driving me absolutely bonkers and is quite loud. It's more of a squeal from the pads at mid speed but when under 15 mph with light pressure you can hear the creaking noise as per the video it almost sounds spring related? Any help greatly appreciated

So difficult to say for sure but it appears to be the noise happens almost per revolution of the wheel, I'd first of all re visit the handbrake adjustment(how many clicks out of interest do you get from the handbrake lever when applying the handbrake)as I've seen plenty of cars through our doors with over adjusted hand brake setups. As you've stated there's been issues re the handbrake set up before but that's where for starters I'd look at whets young on.
      09-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply. The handbrake was loose when they first done the work and I took it back later for adjustment to tighten it. So it was doing this noise both when the handbrake was loose and when it was tightened.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

sounds like springs are being compressed or stretched?

Perhaps the backplate has been deformed or something and the shoes arent sitting in the right place?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post

Perhaps the backplate has been deformed or something and the shoes arent sitting in the right place?
Yes that's what it sounds like! Thanks for the advice i may just put it into another garage to have a different set of eyes on it - I will let you know the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post

This is what I was hearing hence the comment re adjustment I made, it sounds spring like on the shoe assembly almost at every wheel rotation, ideally needs to be fully removed and re assembled and adjusted accordingly
      09-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
This is what I was hearing hence the comment re adjustment I made, it sounds spring like on the shoe assembly almost at every wheel rotation, ideally needs to be fully removed and re assembled and adjusted accordingly
Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it, il let you know the outcome.
Rhys
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

i wonder if they've reassembled it with a spring in the wrong place and its rubbing on a wheel bolt or something?

Or maybe you've got extended wheel bolts that are too long and are catching on the insides?
Appreciate 0