F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 Stage 2 CAN wire remove/re-add
Studio RSR

12-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
kaashia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i MSport

JB4 Stage 2 CAN wire remove/re-add

So we all know that the JB4 Stage 2 requires wire taps into the CAN wires.

What I have been wondering is if anyone has experienced any excessive wear on the shielding of the wires when they remove the JB4 and put it back on for service visits. Unless you are able to tap EXACTLY the some spot every time, it is likely one would be tapping a different location every time which would weaken the wires. If someone was to go to BMW due to an issue with the CAN wires, it would be a hard case to make that this was a warranty issue.

Now logically I would think that this isn't really an issue since the service schedule is the lesser of the recommended service interval given by the car or 1 year. I'm leasing so we're talking about only potentially removing the tune 3x + any potential warranty service visits. So my guess is that I wouldn't have to remove the JB4 very much at all - therefore no need to worry about the shielding issue I've mentioned above.

Does anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Not a huge deal. You're poking pin size holes each time you install/uninstall them. I've tapped them about 4 times and yes, if you look close enough you can tell there are little holes in the wire housing but it's not going to affect the integrity of the wire itself.

After a few installs you can end up tapping in one of the previous points. Unless you're really bad at it and have done it 15 times then you may think about replacing a part of the wire. Even then it's not a huge deal as you can just buy a new piece of wire and swap it out yourself.
Appreciate 0