R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #23
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Ughh, would love to join you guys at WGI, but given my very fresh oopsie there, I promised myself I'd stay away next year until I get my feet wet again. I should probably stick to that.

While I have no vested interests, if you're looking at NJMP and can swing a Monday or Friday, I always put a plug in for moehpde.com. Good group and good value.
I don't think it'll be good for you to avoid WGI - from experience. The sooner you get back there and run your first lap past the bus stop, you'll make a huge leap in confidence recovery.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271107.00
      11-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Ughh, would love to join you guys at WGI, but given my very fresh oopsie there, I promised myself I'd stay away next year until I get my feet wet again. I should probably stick to that.

While I have no vested interests, if you're looking at NJMP and can swing a Monday or Friday, I always put a plug in for moehpde.com. Good group and good value.
Come to VIR with Max and I!! It isn't WGI but it's still a 'big boy' track!

I don't really want to do NJMP, but every year we do some hateful track somewhere, like eating vegetables...
Appreciate 2
NYG10742.50
jfritz271107.00
      11-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #25
torpeteo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
High five!! Any photos of the aftermath?
The irony is that I was focused on chasing the M cars in front of me…If you cant beat 'em, be 'em.

In all seriousness a lot to be learned from an on track incident, especially when accepting fault. Next year will be the first time out in the F82.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jfritz271107.00
phefner369.00
      11-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #26
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpeteo View Post
The irony is that I was focused on chasing the M cars in front of me…If you cant beat 'em, be 'em.

In all seriousness a lot to be learned from an on track incident, especially when accepting fault. Next year will be the first time out in the F82.
Same side as my Vette.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #27
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
We graduated way past vette issues over here so they are not a worry - just drive away from them. Hopefully you east coast gents get there some day.

My Corvette was laid to rest at the barriers before turn 11 of Watkins Glen so we're making progress.
Mine was laid to rest at the barriers of Turn 1 exit at Road America.

Progress indeed😂
Damn torpeteo , you made it through the sand trap to the barriers?
      11-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #28
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Come to VIR with Max and I!! It isn't WGI but it's still a 'big boy' track!

I don't really want to do NJMP, but every year we do some hateful track somewhere, like eating vegetables...
Haha, come on Shadow, carrots are good for you every once in a while... you ever been to NJMP? Lightning has some neat stuff -- getting the blind uphill T1 correct, pushing 110-120 on the right hand sweeper leading up to the 90-deg left-hander, maximizing speed through the bowl so you can rocket out of there... I personally think Thunderbolt has some charms as well with some of its very fast corners.

That VIR weekend is tempting but unfortunately I think we've already got out-of-town plans
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #29
torpeteo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phefner View Post
Damn torpeteo , you made it through the sand trap to the barriers?
No, actually exit of Turn 1 on the inside barrier. Oversteered beyond the point of my recovery.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Haha, come on Shadow, carrots are good for you every once in a while... you ever been to NJMP? Lightning has some neat stuff -- getting the blind uphill T1 correct, pushing 110-120 on the right hand sweeper leading up to the 90-deg left-hander, maximizing speed through the bowl so you can rocket out of there... I personally think Thunderbolt has some charms as well with some of its very fast corners.

That VIR weekend is tempting but unfortunately I think we've already got out-of-town plans
Haven't been there in years. I need to get a little pos to go to Palmer, limerock, njmp and summit
Appreciate 2
NYG10742.50
jfritz271107.00
      11-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #31
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Haven't been there in years. I need to get a little pos to go to Palmer, limerock, njmp and summit
Limerock is like our backyard. Is it my favorite track? Of course not. But it's so low commitment; single day event, just over an hour drive each way, back home for dinner. No hotels necessary. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
Limerock is like our backyard. Is it my favorite track? Of course not. But it's so low commitment; single day event, just over an hour drive each way, back home for dinner. No hotels necessary. Easy.
If we ever get a daily like a gr86, then maybe. The low commitment part is attractive, but to go to a go kart track I prefer to own a go kart!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 12:48 PM   #33
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
I love LRP but the sound restrictions are the worst. Only my M4CS was ok there.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 10:15 PM   #34
MNGo4M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

My Corvette was laid to rest at the barriers before turn 11 of Watkins Glen so we're making progress.
Did this happen last May at the MVP event? If so, I was driving the M3 you passed right before this happened!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 10:42 PM   #35
torpeteo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGo4M3 View Post
Quote:

Did this happen last May at the MVP event? If so, I was driving the M3 you passed right before this happened!
Yep! May 14th with MVP. I would say what are the odds but i guess generally good if on a bmw forum! 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #36
MNGo4M3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGo4M3 View Post
Quote:

Yep! May 14th with MVP. I would say what are the odds but i guess generally good if on a bmw forum! 😂
I was so bummed my video didn't record for the accident as it would have caught the whole thing. Glad you're OK! I'll be back next May as a passenger (sold vehicle) so will come say hi.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #37
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I had a great time at WGI per Shadow suggestion with Potomac in May 2022. However, I am not sure i am going to make it this year.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
NYG10742.50
      11-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #38
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

FWIW-Laps Inc is having a black friday deal on their track time if you're near chicago.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...porated-254236

I haven't run with them yet, but a couple of my buddies have and it is one of their favorite groups.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:23 AM   #39
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Fwiw nw shelby is kinda a 'no rules' sort of org. If it fits octoberfast end of September with badger bimmers is a better event.
I can't stand no rules orgs, I may have to switch

Hey guys. I've run with the NW Shelby Club for a few years now and really haven't had any issues. Ive even seen them ask people to pack up for the weekend who were dangerous. I've run into more jackwads at the PCA (with or without a Porsche), then anywhere else. It happens.

Understand if you've had a bad experience. Maybe give them another chance. I'm planning to run their events twice (April's all weekend, last day for the summer event). The last day of the 4 day summer weekend event really thins out, Sunday July 2nd.

Give me a heads up if you go.
      11-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #40
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phefner View Post
Hey guys. I've run with the NW Shelby Club for a few years now and really haven't had any issues. Ive even seen them ask people to pack up for the weekend who were dangerous. I've run into more jackwads at the PCA (with or without a Porsche), then anywhere else. It happens.

Understand if you've had a bad experience. Maybe give them another chance. I'm planning to run their events twice (April's all weekend, last day for the summer event). The last day of the 4 day summer weekend event really thins out, Sunday July 2nd.

Give me a heads up if you go.
Everyone gets problem drivers.

* They don't do tech. Its 'yearly' tech. They don't even make you run through a sheet for every event and sign that you did it. Its a little concerning. I still tech my car every event, but I have less faith everyone is doing it.

* They don't do any vetting for who signs up for what group. This leads to way more inappropriately grouped drivers than I've seen in other clubs. Group 5 is first timers. group 4 seems to be everyone with more than 1 track day. group 3 even had people who clearly should be in a novice group. Group 1-2 see to be mostly fully prepped cars.

My issue is that they do way less than other clubs to avoid problems to start. Clubs with lower standards seem to attract errr... certain types of drivers. If I have a choice they certainly lower on my list. Its not like they don't have passing rules or something like some clubs. They are just very hands off which probably works fine in advanced groups but the lower ones... eh. Some of the people clearly need a little more structure.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #41
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:

Fritz, do you have any specific MOE events planned yet?
I want to attend at least one Lightning event, preferably with MOE or PCA.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271107.00
      12-05-2022, 07:21 PM   #42
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone interested in ozarks? I sort of want to drive down for a day but it would be more fun with people.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      12-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #43
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Fritz, do you have any specific MOE events planned yet?
I want to attend at least one Lightning event, preferably with MOE or PCA.

So far for starters I'm thinking 4/3, 4/24, and 6/9 (all MoE) -- but only that last date is Lightning. He's got a 5/8 Lightning date but I can't make that one. You interested in Thunderbolt? I like it, some nice high-speed corners there.

On my to-do list to start looking at other available club dates...

Last edited by jfritz27; 12-06-2022 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #44
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
So far for starters I'm thinking 4/3, 4/24, and 6/9 (all MoE) -- but only that last date is Lightning. He's got a 5/8 Lightning date but I can't make that one. You interested in Thunderbolt? I like it, some nice high-speed corners there.

On my to-do list to start looking at other available club dates...
I may do 4/3, but more than likely 6/9 with Lightning. It'll depend on tires. Planning two LRP events to start the year and want to hit VIR Potomac mid April where I'll need a fresh set, so I may do 4/3 with some spent tires from LRP.

New track on spent tires. Hopefully that's not a bad idea.
Appreciate 0