BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Good Price for M5C?

01-17-2023, 06:43 PM   #1
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C, 21 Taycan, 21 SQ8

Good Price for M5C?

I recently found a BMW Dealership selling a 2021 M5 Comp with 6K miles, 1 owner, with an MSRP of $131.5K asking $99.5K. To me, this seems like a pretty damn good deal and one I'm highly considering jumping on.

21 M5C Alpine White
Full Merino Leather
Comp Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Bowers & Wilkins

Would love to hear what you guys think
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-17-2023, 06:56 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkyM5 View Post
I recently found a BMW Dealership selling a 2021 M5 Comp with 6K miles, 1 owner, with an MSRP of $131.5K asking $99.5K. To me, this seems like a pretty damn good deal and one I'm highly considering jumping on.

21 M5C Alpine White
Full Merino Leather
Comp Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Bowers & Wilkins

Great spec! Seems like a great price for a properly vetted car! I bet you could work your way downwards a bit from there even.

CPO? Is it at a BMW dealer? The one that initially sold it?
      01-17-2023, 07:00 PM   #3
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Great spec! Seems like a great price for a properly vetted car!

Unfortunately no CPO. It is at a BMW dealer but not the one that initially sold it. I just realized on the Carfax it states the owner type as "Corporate fleet". Not sure if that should be a red flag or not.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 08:04 PM   #4
Boiler Up!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Corporate fleet could be an indicator of a Performance Center car. The spec looks to be identical to the car that I drove during my PCD track time. Caveat emptor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 08:11 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Great spec! Seems like a great price for a properly vetted car!

Unfortunately no CPO. It is at a BMW dealer but not the one that initially sold it. I just realized on the Carfax it states the owner type as "Corporate fleet". Not sure if that should be a red flag or not.
CPO doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself — we've heard of CPO cars going either way, and a lot here have conceded it's sometimes only a matter of perception. But when a car checks out in every other way, it can be a nice bit of additional "verification."

At least it's at a BMW dealer and not another brand or one of those "high end" looking car dealerships of many brands.

Corporate fleet doesn't necessarily mean a fleet car in the colloquial sense. On a CarFax report, it may just mean it was leased. The "corporate" designation may be the leasing company corporation. It varies from state to state due to varying regulations on how cars are classified, as CarFax pulls these records/designations from government or regulatory entities in many cases.

Boiler Up! is correct though, Performance Center cars will also show up that way, as may a press car.

I've been chastised here for what some have characterized as my over the top views on vetting used cars. But definitely do good due diligence if you're serious about acquiring this (or any) used car, especially a car such as the M5 — even a sweet looking, great on paper, 1 owner car with 6k miles.
      01-17-2023, 11:22 PM   #6
Rpg5414
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i

Is this car at Pacific BMW or Century West BMW? If so, it’s a former driving program car and BMW won’t CPO or offer an extended warranty on it and there is a BMW disclosure notice tied to the car to that effect. They had a couple of brands hatch ones that I really liked (awesome spec) but you don’t really know the car’s history other than it has not been babied (though you can be sure it was treated well prior to the 1200 mile service). Best case scenario, the car was driven by a BMW exec, worst case scenario the car lived at Thermal and has done ~4500 miles around a track—lot of variance in there to save $10k - $15k on a $100k car.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2023, 09:01 AM   #7
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Up! View Post
Corporate fleet could be an indicator of a Performance Center car. The spec looks to be identical to the car that I drove during my PCD track time. Caveat emptor.
Oof. That would explain the "sweet deal" if so

I've done two 2-day M schools and boy did we beat the shit out of those M5s.
      01-18-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg5414 View Post
Is this car at Pacific BMW or Century West BMW? If so, it’s a former driving program car and BMW won’t CPO or offer an extended warranty on it and there is a BMW disclosure notice tied to the car to that effect. They had a couple of brands hatch ones that I really liked (awesome spec) but you don’t really know the car’s history other than it has not been babied (though you can be sure it was treated well prior to the 1200 mile service). Best case scenario, the car was driven by a BMW exec, worst case scenario the car lived at Thermal and has done ~4500 miles around a track—lot of variance in there to save $10k - $15k on a $100k car.
Exactly right! It is at Pacific BMW and they have a brands hatch as well. Same spec with 4K miles for $99K.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:35 AM   #9
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CPO doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself — we've heard of CPO cars going either way, and a lot here have conceded it's sometimes only a matter of perception. But when a car checks out in every other way, it can be a nice bit of additional "verification."

At least it's at a BMW dealer and not another brand or one of those "high end" looking car dealerships of many brands.

Corporate fleet doesn't necessarily mean a fleet car in the colloquial sense. On a CarFax report, it may just mean it was leased. The "corporate" designation may be the leasing company corporation. It varies from state to state due to varying regulations on how cars are classified, as CarFax pulls these records/designations from government or regulatory entities in many cases.

Boiler Up! is correct though, Performance Center cars will also show up that way, as may a press car.

I've been chastised here for what some have characterized as my over the top views on vetting used cars. But definitely do good due diligence if you're serious about acquiring this (or any) used car, especially a car such as the M5 — even a sweet looking, great on paper, 1 owner car with 6k miles.
Appreciate all the great info!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate all the great info!
You're welcome! Seems like this a PC vehicle based on the comments above. I agree with everyone else that you may want to forego this example.

Different people will have different tolerances for risk, and some people will be more risk adverse than others. I personally wouldn't acquire a former PC car, but I'm sure there are plenty on here that would.
      01-18-2023, 12:17 PM   #11
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome! Seems like this a PC vehicle based on the comments above. I agree with everyone else that you may want to forego this example.

Different people will have different tolerances for risk, and some people will be more risk adverse than others. I personally wouldn't acquire a former PC car, but I'm sure there are plenty on here that would.
I'm torn haha! I mean, at least it will have warranty, yeah?

Really I'm just looking to get into an LCI until the new M5 comes out.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2023, 01:22 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'm torn haha! I mean, at least it will have warranty, yeah?

Really I'm just looking to get into an LCI until the new M5 comes out.
That's a good consideration to examine. If you intend on being the first person on here with a G90, that's one thing. If you had said you were going to keep this for a while that would be something else.

For me personally, I wouldn't want to get in a car like this, even for a short period of time. But again, my tolerance for avoidable risk is low. I'm sure someone will purchase this car eventually, even if it's not you, and probably be fine with it.
      01-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #13
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
If you do decide to go for this car, I would highly suggest you get the CCB's checked and see how much thread is left. The last thing you want to do is have to replace them while you still own the car. That's going to be a hefty expense.
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #14
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkishM5C View Post
If you do decide to go for this car, I would highly suggest you get the CCB's checked and see how much thread is left. The last thing you want to do is have to replace them while you still own the car. That's going to be a hefty expense.

Front pads are at 5mm and rear 9mm
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2023, 04:43 PM   #15
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
Quote:
Front pads are at 5mm and rear 9mm
I'm no break expert by any means, but I feel that's pretty worn down. Did they tell you what percentage of the pads were left? I believe for the ceramic rotors they would have to be weigh to get an accurate reading. But I think the rotors last a really long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #16
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkishM5C View Post
I'm no break expert by any means, but I feel that's pretty worn down. Did they tell you what percentage of the pads were left? I believe for the ceramic rotors they would have to be weigh to get an accurate reading. But I think the rotors last a really long time.
The salesmen is saying he might be able to have them replace the pads but I doubt they would weigh the rotors for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #17
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:

21 M5C Alpine White
Full Merino Leather
Comp Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Bowers & Wilkins

I doubt this was a Performance Center car. Most Performance center cars and BMW Corporate cars are registered in New Jersey at BMW headquarters. This car was registered in California. It looks like they did the 1200 mile oil service at 3970 miles, that would explain why they can't CPO the car.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 09:54 PM   #18
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
Quote:
The salesmen is saying he might be able to have them replace the pads but I doubt they would weigh the rotors for me.
If you could get them to replace the pads, I think you would be getting a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #19
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
I doubt this was a Performance Center car. Most Performance center cars and BMW Corporate cars are registered in New Jersey at BMW headquarters. This car was registered in California. It looks like they did the 1200 mile oil service at 3970 miles, that would explain why they can't CPO the car.

I didn't realize that! Good catch! That could be a deal breaker for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:27 PM   #20
sTo0p_Ed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F82 M4 & F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
Where do you go to find out the history of a vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #21
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

There will always be a "story" behind a used M5. Please if you decide to purchase this car have BMW supply you with all the service records on the car and do a pre-purchase inspection. Good luck.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #22
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
i would not be as worried about the pads as much as the status of the rotors. Although the pads would be a good indicator of wear on the rotors. not sure what the pad wear rate is on the track, lol but i know the track is a CCB killer. Good news is you can just replaced them with Steel should the time come.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1