BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Anyone know how I can disable autostart?

02-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
Shauny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Anyone know how I can disable autostart?

Hi

2018 M5 here bought a few days ago, loving it, but I have to disable auto start on the start button every time, it seems to default to being on, and I can't find anywhere to unset it?

Am I missing something or is that just the way it is?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:17 PM   #2
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Congratulations on your M5!

By default from factory, the setting on BMW F90 M5 is for that autostart/stop button to always remember it's last chosen option.

By what you are describing, maybe the previous owner coded the car, and made the car to always default the autostart/stop to be on upon restart (this is standard on non-m vehicles)

You will need to recode your car, and default that button to always remember the last chosen position. You can use Bimmercode to do that yourself
Appreciate 1
Shauny1.00
      02-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
M5 F90 (2018)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Auto start stop is always on even if you switch it off and then switch the car off it defaults back to on. UK cars anyway. It can be coded out i understand, although i have never tried. PITA i know!
Appreciate 1
Shauny1.00
      02-14-2022, 08:07 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Need to find someone with the BMW factory software or aftermarket software to code the car. I have not yet coded it off in my F90 but plan to. I have the factory programming software but don't know how to use it very well yet and also have a decent scan tool, Autel MS906BT, that can do some coding -- I used it to code stop start off in my 21 Cayenne S.
Appreciate 1
Shauny1.00
      02-14-2022, 10:56 PM   #5
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Need to find someone with the BMW factory software or aftermarket software to code the car. I have not yet coded it off in my F90 but plan to. I have the factory programming software but don't know how to use it very well yet and also have a decent scan tool, Autel MS906BT, that can do some coding -- I used it to code stop start off in my 21 Cayenne S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 F90 (2018) View Post
Auto start stop is always on even if you switch it off and then switch the car off it defaults back to on. UK cars anyway. It can be coded out i understand, although i have never tried. PITA i know!
Yeah maybe UK is different, makes sense. North American cars are programmed in the way that if you shut that option off, it will remember it upon each restart of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
For BMW you can use BimmerCode + OBD wifi adapter. Can do most of the coding via that app, and it's quick and easy
Appreciate 1
Shauny1.00
      02-15-2022, 04:19 AM   #6
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauny View Post
Hi

2018 M5 here bought a few days ago, loving it, but I have to disable auto start on the start button every time, it seems to default to being on, and I can't find anywhere to unset it?

Am I missing something or is that just the way it is?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun
On UK cars its just how it is.
Soon becomes a habit to switch it off when restarting.
Be wary of any kind of recoding...UK dealers are tightening up on that sort of thing if you are relying on factory or post 3 year BMW warranties.
Appreciate 1
Shauny1.00