E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - How to tell if your transmission fluid had been changed before (used e90)

01-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep
Drives: Naturally Aspirated

DIY - How to tell if your transmission fluid had been changed before (used e90)

This applies to e90's with the ZF 6HP19 transmission (6AT) as that is the only one I worked on.

1. The quick and simple answer... drop the oil pan, their should be a date stamped in white saying the month and year (feb 2006 on my 2006), but this only denotes how old the oil pan is. Most just change the oil with out changing the pan because its not required till 100k miles. *Procedures for oil pan changing:
http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_...eplacement.pdf

Name:  pan.jpg
Views: 5665
Size:  64.6 KB

2. Check for fluid stains/color. if you just drain the oil it should drain a dark honey or tea color. If some a-hole put a unrecommended ATF in your transmission, it will drain out red. (don't be a cheapskate and don't put anything other than ZF's Lifeguard6 in your transmission (honey colored).
-as for staining, if you dropped the oilpan, you should see the Mechatronic valve body which is made out of aluminum, and should look clean with no red staining, like this:
Name:  mechatronic.jpg
Views: 7483
Size:  63.8 KB

3. And finally, check the Mechatronic Sleeve's o-rings. These o-rings came in an orange color from the factory. BMW started finding out these o-rings started to leak transmission fluid in some of the early E90's. When owners brought them back in due to the leaking fluid, they got fitted with a new sleeve with thicker black o-rings. (depicted below) The good thing about a leaking sleeve is that you got your transmission fluid changed along with the sleeve because the only way to change the sleeve is to drop the pan and release the locking clip on the Mechatronic valve body. *Procedures for changing the sleeve: http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_...eplacement.pdf
Name:  sleeve.jpg
Views: 8475
Size:  41.2 KB

in conclusion. check and change your tranny fluid when you get a used e90. how much fluid you change out is all up to you.

*products and procedures credit: http://www.thectsc.com

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.

Last edited by allmotorh22; 01-06-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I just did mine because of a leaking tranny sleeve. I bought the kit from thectsc.com for 218 which includes 6 liters of zf lifeguard, tranny pan w/ gasket, and filler plug. I also bought the sleeve. After doing the work I used up all 6 liters of the stuff.
      02-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Is this for automatic transmission? Looks like alot of work and you got to be careful with the sleeve.
      02-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
The good thing about a leaking sleeve is that you got your transmission fluid changed along with the sleeve because the only way to change the sleeve is to drop the pan .....
I wouldn't assume that, especially if the fluids are expensive and many times even when they are cheap. They'll catch all your old fluid, filter it and then reuse it in your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
tingbro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

This is very helpful. Just picked up a used '07 e93 with ~40k miles and will have my tranny fluid changed out.
Appreciate 0