BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bavsound long term review

10-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #67
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Just got a '23 that was a great spec/price, but no B&W like my '19, and holy shit it's such a huge drop in quality (for me personally). I'm going to grab the subs today and start there. It's a lease that I plan to get out of before lease end, so don't want to do the full kit. Thanks for all the feedback here.

RIL - sounds like you had a bad run of luck with your subs? Seems like an outlier compared to the many good reviews, but who knows. Worth a shot for the $ and the warranty, right?

First off, congratulations on the new car!

Grabbing the subs is definitely the place to start! I do think that I had one offs (albeit a couple of them). Nonetheless, I continue to sing BavSounds praises to anyone on this forum who will listen. Despite the issues I had, they were in fact replaced each time, and accompanied by exceptional customer service. That's a good chunk of why I am still a big believer. I am on my third set in my new car (well, first set in my LCI, the other sets were in my previous pre-LCI) with about 3.5K on it over the course of a few months. They have broken in extremely well, and sound better than my previous sets. For $600 and 1 hour of your time, it's the best ROI you can get for an audio upgrade in our cars without a doubt. And if for some reason you don't like it, they'll take everything back within a 100 days.

I'd say pull the trigger for sure!

Full Disclosure: There are a couple other options on the market for plug and play that I may explore at some point. Bimmertech will absolutely never, ever be one of them, since they don't accept returns. If these cause issues, I'll probably try Rockford Fosgate's plug and play system. BavSound is made by Audiotec Fischer, who makes quality products and who I am a fan of. But again, these have proved to be absolutely excellent. I'm not fixing what isn't broken.
I put my order in, and will report back once I break them in a bit.

Thanks!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #68
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just got a '23 that was a great spec/price, but no B&W like my '19, and holy shit it's such a huge drop in quality (for me personally). I'm going to grab the subs today and start there. It's a lease that I plan to get out of before lease end, so don't want to do the full kit. Thanks for all the feedback here.

RIL - sounds like you had a bad run of luck with your subs? Seems like an outlier compared to the many good reviews, but who knows. Worth a shot for the $ and the warranty, right?

First off, congratulations on the new car!

Grabbing the subs is definitely the place to start! I do think that I had one offs (albeit a couple of them). Nonetheless, I continue to sing BavSounds praises to anyone on this forum who will listen. Despite the issues I had, they were in fact replaced each time, and accompanied by exceptional customer service. That's a good chunk of why I am still a big believer. I am on my third set in my new car (well, first set in my LCI, the other sets were in my previous pre-LCI) with about 3.5K on it over the course of a few months. They have broken in extremely well, and sound better than my previous sets. For $600 and 1 hour of your time, it's the best ROI you can get for an audio upgrade in our cars without a doubt. And if for some reason you don't like it, they'll take everything back within a 100 days.

I'd say pull the trigger for sure!

Full Disclosure: There are a couple other options on the market for plug and play that I may explore at some point. Bimmertech will absolutely never, ever be one of them, since they don't accept returns. If these cause issues, I'll probably try Rockford Fosgate's plug and play system. BavSound is made by Audiotec Fischer, who makes quality products and who I am a fan of. But again, these have proved to be absolutely excellent. I'm not fixing what isn't broken.
I put my order in, and will report back once I break them in a bit.

Thanks!
You're welcome! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
      10-27-2022, 06:45 AM   #69
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Man oh Man, I wish these were also P&P replacements for the B&W “subwoofers.”
I’ve done no frequency measurement whatsoever yet with this system, but I will anecdotally echo everyone else who complains about the lack of low end.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #70
hunter8793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

I just finished installing the Stage one and subs.

That was frustrating, nothing went right. But it’s done.

I probably saved myself $500 but man that sucked.

I can tell a pretty nice improvement over stock. The front door speakers have quite a bit more bass than the HK. I can’t really notice the under seat subs, even with putting my hand down there.. but it sounds pretty good. They say 12 hours to fully break in. I’ll update after that.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #71
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter8793 View Post

That was frustrating, nothing went right. But it’s done.

I can tell a pretty nice improvement over stock. The front door speakers have quite a bit more bass than the HK. I can’t really notice the under seat subs, even with putting my hand down there.. but it sounds pretty good. They say 12 hours to fully break in. I’ll update after that.
I didn't feel but heard right off bat. Now, after break in, definitely feel it now… so much better is an understatement…
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #72
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That was frustrating, nothing went right. But it's done.

I can tell a pretty nice improvement over stock. The front door speakers have quite a bit more bass than the HK. I can't really notice the under seat subs, even with putting my hand down there.. but it sounds pretty good. They say 12 hours to fully break in. I'll update after that.
Sorry to hear that. I've admittedly never attempted to do the speakers myself, but have done the subs several times. The BavSound authorized installer in my area, which is a high end shop in its own right, wanted $980 for the install.

Glad to hear you've at least got increased performance. Check you EQ settings if you're not hearing anything, and if that doesn't help, I've found that if the seal against the green gasket isn't 100% lined up and snug, the bass will bleed out through it, resulting in not feeling the subs. If you didn't take the sub enclosures out to put the new subs in (I don't anymore), then getting it to line up perfect and tight can be difficult the first time you do it because the gasket has some stickiness/tackiness to it, and it'll grab the outer rim of the sub, even if it's not in the exact right spot. You'll know you've gotten it right if you can torque all 4 sub screws without a lot of resistance.

I'll also note something I've said before; though the insert says 12 hours, it took more like 20 for me.
      10-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #73
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Quote:

That was frustrating, nothing went right. But it's done.

I can tell a pretty nice improvement over stock. The front door speakers have quite a bit more bass than the HK. I can't really notice the under seat subs, even with putting my hand down there.. but it sounds pretty good. They say 12 hours to fully break in. I'll update after that.
I didn't feel but heard right off bat. Now, after break in, definitely feel it now… so much better is an understatement…
Glad to hear they're still rocking out for you!
      10-30-2022, 12:43 AM   #74
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

I installed subs today, pretty straightforward and easy to do. Something to note, mine is 2022 m8 and I didn't need a heat gun to pop the subs out of the brace; mind you I do live in Miami but they came out with light force.

Initial impression is a more crisp sound, and I can def feel more bass through the seats. Will check in after break in
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2022, 01:08 AM   #75
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Bavsound long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_BatMann_ View Post
I installed subs today, pretty straightforward and easy to do. Something to note, mine is 2022 m8 and I didn't need a heat gun to pop the subs out of the brace; mind you I do live in Miami but they came out with light force.

Initial impression is a more crisp sound, and I can def feel more bass through the seats. Will check in after break in
Awesome! So glad you've noticed an improvement!

I didn't even realize they suggested a heat gun. Perhaps that's specific to the M8 because of a different OE subwoofer enclosure than the F90? Did you have the green gasket? When I did the install in cold temperatures, after the car had been sitting in the cold, I didn't need it through several installs on two M5s now. Like you said, just a bit of force (and pry tool helps).

Please keep us posted!
      10-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #76
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

Quote:

I didn't even realize they suggested a heat gun. Perhaps that's specific to the M8 because of a different OE subwoofer enclosure than the F90? Did you have the green gasket? When I did the install in cold temperatures, after the car had been sitting in the cold, I didn't need it through several installs on two M5s now. Like you said, just a bit of force (and pry tool helps).

Please keep us posted!
Yup had the green gasket, no tools needed to pop out it just my two thumbs!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 09:23 PM   #77
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_BatMann_ View Post
Quote:

Please keep us posted!
Yup had the green gasket, no tools needed to pop out it just my two thumbs!
Awesome!
      11-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #78
DGM M5C
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2022 M5 Comp  [0.00]
They appear to be doing a 22% off sale and free shipping if people are still looking to buy. Not sure how long it'll last, but I just got the email.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #79
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM M5C View Post
They appear to be doing a 22% off sale and free shipping if people are still looking to buy. Not sure how long it'll last, but I just got the email.
That's an awesome deal off of an already reasonable list price!
      11-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #80
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Coming back to this thread to report that my third set has now failed in the exact same way, on the same timeline, as my first two sets. At this point, I'm still singing their praises until they give me a reason not to. I have reached out to the same CSR that helped me previously that I raved about in my earlier posts.

I will report back once I receive a response.

Anyone else noticing a significant decrease in power after a while?
      11-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #81
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:
Coming back to this thread to report that my third set has now failed in the exact same way, on the same timeline, as my first two sets. At this point, I'm still singing their praises until they give me a reason not to. I have reached out to the same CSR that helped me previously that I raved about in my earlier posts.

You probably have a short somewhere in your wiring that is causing an unregulated surge to your speakers and causing them to fail. You should find a good car audio shop and see if they can help with it, otherwise I'd say you'll continue to have them fail.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #82
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
Quote:

You probably have a short somewhere in your wiring that is causing an unregulated surge to your speakers and causing them to fail. You should find a good car audio shop and see if they can help with it, otherwise I'd say you'll continue to have them fail.
Thanks for the insight! Remind me please, do you have these also?
      12-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #83
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Wanted to report back on my interaction with BavSound.

The very kind CSR, who I believe is now Head of Operations, offered to swap these out one more time, but stated they would not be able to continue swapping these any further and thought that it is almost certainly something in my listening habits that is causing the failures. He further stated that without resolving that, I would likely continue to experience this. He offered, in the alternative, to issue me a complete refund and have me send the subs back. I haven't made a decision yet, as I'm now researching other options.

He apologized profusely for the trouble, but stated they have these installed in HK equipped cars such as my M5, and many other BMW models with the same amplification going strong for years, and there is not any current issue with their subwoofers in production they are aware of.

Excellent customer service, and a great interaction regardless of the product, or which direction I go. They could teach some vendors (cough cough, PG) a thing or two about customer service. I'll still continue to recommend the products and BavSound generally, though I am genuinely unaware how my listening habits could be causing the issue. I do listen to them a lot, and I do listen to them loud, and I do listen to bass heavy music, but with their exact recommended settings/EQ and no sound/EQ settings from the source audio (i.e., "Increase Bass" in Apple Music).

If anyone has experienced any failures, I'd love to hear about your experiences, please!
      12-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #84
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:
Thanks for the insight! Remind me please, do you have these also?
I do but I've not found the time to install them yet, lol. They're still sitting in a box on the floor in my office.

I've been speaking with a local audio shop about adding a sub and maybe more, and they said they install Bavsound stuff all the time for folks and that they're great speakers. I told them to include having them install the Ghost subs on a couple of quotes they're going to give me for different options.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 04:07 PM   #85
hunter8793
Private First Class
Rep

I have had mine installed for over 10 hours of drive time. I put my hand under the seat, on top of the subwoofer and barely feel anything. Its rather disappointing. But there is some bass when you turn the volume like 90% up lol.

The sound quality is good, but for $2k and a hell of an install, I was expecting more.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #86
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have had mine installed for over 10 hours of drive time. I put my hand under the seat, on top of the subwoofer and barely feel anything. Its rather disappointing. But there is some bass when you turn the volume like 90% up lol.

The sound quality is good, but for $2k and a hell of an install, I was expecting more.
Even with such little time on the clock, you should be feeling a bit of something regarding the bass. With that being said, it took me a solid 20+ hours before I got the full effect. I'd say to give it a bit more time.
      12-29-2022, 08:29 PM   #87
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
I assume the Bowers and Wilkins are not upgradable?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:16 PM   #88
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
I assume the Bowers and Wilkins are not upgradable?
Not to BavSound, which is limited to "standard" and "top" HiFi, as well as HK. But I'd probably take the BW any day.