BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2020 M5 - BMW Premium Selection (CPO)

02-14-2024, 01:53 AM   #1
alexxs
Rep
Drives: C63s AMG

2020 M5 - BMW Premium Selection (CPO)

Hey everyone,

So I'm left choosing between M5 and M550i for my next car. Both would be CPO cars (BMW Premium selection in Europe). I found what seemed like a great deal 2020 M5 for 69 000 EUR, but noticed something odd in the car's service history. Essentially it's being sold as a 49000km car (~30 000 miles), had its spark plugs replaced at 44000 km as part of normal service, but then had a warranty entry to replace a couple just 1000km later. Now, 5000km from the initial service, the car is up for sale.

I know it's a CPO with a warranty, but I have this sneaky suspicion that the warranty entry was because they were chasing misfires and I'd be stuck holding the bag. Unfortunately I can't go and test it as it's in another country over in Europe.

Thoughts? Am I reading too much into a spark plug warranty job?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:48 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxs View Post
Hey everyone,

So I'm left choosing between M5 and M550i for my next car. Both would be CPO cars (BMW Premium selection in Europe). I found what seemed like a great deal 2020 M5 for 69 000 EUR, but noticed something odd in the car's service history. Essentially it's being sold as a 49000km car (~30 000 miles), had its spark plugs replaced at 44000 km as part of normal service, but then had a warranty entry to replace a couple just 1000km later. Now, 5000km from the initial service, the car is up for sale.

I know it's a CPO with a warranty, but I have this sneaky suspicion that the warranty entry was because they were chasing misfires and I'd be stuck holding the bag. Unfortunately I can't go and test it as it's in another country over in Europe.

Thanks!
So you would be purchasing a car without test driving it and taking it to an independent mechanic for an inspection?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:34 AM   #3
Mr. Jonathan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Ask if the records show a coolant expansion tank replacement. Its possible the coolant leaked from a failed tank or cap and they had to replace spark plugs. If your able to have an independent shop inspect the car. Make sure you have them check the injectors under the coolant expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:50 AM   #4
alexxs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
So you would be purchasing a car without test driving it and taking it to an independent mechanic for an inspection?
Unfortunately there really aren't many other options. I bought 3 cars like this so far (C63s AMG, Golf GTI TCR and Cayenne) and all 3 have been ok and as described. Should say that they all came as CPO cars. The biggest disappointment tbh was the Cayenne which, although a Porsche certified car bought from a big Porsche dealer, had some ugly scuff marks on the leather that were never mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:51 AM   #5
alexxs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jonathan View Post
Ask if the records show a coolant expansion tank replacement. Its possible the coolant leaked from a failed tank or cap and they had to replace spark plugs. If your able to have an independent shop inspect the car. Make sure you have them check the injectors under the coolant expansion tank.
I have access to the records. The only thing that mentions "tank" is "Program control units (OBD - tank vent valve)", but that was at ~20 000km.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:37 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxs View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Regardlsss of whether you’re reading too much into it or not, the general rule regarding used vehicles (especially ones of this nature) are two separate PPIs, conducted by two different entities, with both examining software and internals.

If I were in your shoes, I’d be at the car supervising as much of this as possible, even if means going to another country.