BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    When the time comes to replace your m5 what will it be?

05-11-2022, 06:38 PM   #23
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
I will buy out my LCI lease in 2 years, store my best car ever and lease either the 760i or the Taycan turbo.

As I age, I prefer a more quiet and civilized ride
      05-11-2022, 10:44 PM   #24
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
Pcars. I have no relationship with Porsche right now. I'm next in line for an MSRP allocation on a Taycan GTS. Hoping I'll be able to order a GT3 in ~12 months time. I'm "on the list" for now. No way am I buying a GT3 on the used market, the prices are insanity.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 11:18 PM   #25
TexasSurgeon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black F82

Garage List
2001 BMW e46 325i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Have an M5CS now. If I ever got rid of it would replace with

F8 Tributo spyder

Can't believe how much these are marked up now… over $100K!??
      05-12-2022, 12:31 AM   #26
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Getting rid of my M5 next month, for fun car I ended up getting a Pcar. And a daily will be an older 2017 S-class while i wait for a G80. Wait times are crazy even on those right now…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 12:38 AM   #27
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Getting rid of my M5 next month, for fun car I ended up getting a Pcar. And a daily will be an older 2017 S-class while i wait for a G80. Wait times are crazy even on those right now…
One hell of a fun car. Congrats on the 3RS! That beauty deserves track time.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 01:49 PM   #28
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
GT3 or C8 Z06. It'll definitely be tough to give up the F90 when the time comes.
I'm genuinely curious because you're not the first person that has said this, but HOW are you planning on buying a GT3? From my limited experience looking for one it's virtually impossible to get one new at MSRP from a Porsche dealer unless you have a well-established history with them.
      05-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #29
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Getting a Tesla Model S Plaid. Just need to get it out of my system.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #30
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Getting a Tesla Model S Plaid. Just need to get it out of my system.
My brother has one and he loves it. He was a Porsche guy before that. Had a GT3 for the track and a Cayenne Turbo S to toe the GT3 to/from the track. He has also had every m3 or m4 since the E36 body style.

He says Tesla best car he ever owned.

I drove it and while the speed was impressive, the car had no soul to me.
Appreciate 2
gblansten1976.50
LASpartan104.00
      05-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #31
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
Solid conversation topic OP,

hmmmmm... When the day comes, and I do dread that day oh so much... at the current stage of my life (1 child under 2, a second child incoming any day now) I'm pretty sure my money will be on the G90 M5 or the new S63 whenever it decides to rear its head. Although I'm not a MB fan in general, the S class has always been the pinnacle of luxury/executive saloon as far as I can remember.

A shame that the M5 has no "real" competition as its the only super sedan that is SO driver focused and not so much toys/ extras that all other companies push
Thats not true E63S was and is a very real competition, same price, same weight, same class of a car and much better sound any way you take it. LCI E63S lost of its growl, pre LCI was a very stiff ride but sounded amazing and much better interior compared to the pre LCI M5.

Too bad you won't find any new E63S or any V8 AMG anytime soon, maybe next year.
Appreciate 1
Dual.V8105.50
      05-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #32
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
Solid conversation topic OP,

hmmmmm... When the day comes, and I do dread that day oh so much... at the current stage of my life (1 child under 2, a second child incoming any day now) I'm pretty sure my money will be on the G90 M5 or the new S63 whenever it decides to rear its head. Although I'm not a MB fan in general, the S class has always been the pinnacle of luxury/executive saloon as far as I can remember.

A shame that the M5 has no "real" competition as its the only super sedan that is SO driver focused and not so much toys/ extras that all other companies push
Thats not true E63S was and is a very real competition, same price, same weight, same class of a car and much better sound any way you take it. LCI E63S lost of its growl, pre LCI was a very stiff ride but sounded amazing and much better interior compared to the pre LCI M5.

Too bad you won't find any new E63S or any V8 AMG anytime soon, maybe next year.
I'm no mechanic and no engineer, and likely not as experienced as some multi car owners here, but the problem with the E63S (for me) when I cross shopped it against my existing M5 was the 9 speed. One gear too many. The car was constantly trying to find/get in proper gear.

Though you're right about the individual specs you listed being somewhat similar, I think FSHNGRY's point somewhat turned on the "driver focused" portion, which I would also say the E63S (again, for me) had nothing on the M5. It felt galaxies apart.

Though, to your point, I did attempt to cross shop one again with my incoming M5 when having difficult finding what I wanted, and only found one new one in the whole country at the time, and it was 2500 miles away from me, in a color I hated to boot. I think I wanted to drive one again to dispel the notion, but I don't think driving one would have made me go with one, especially one that wasn't immediately available for delivery. If I was waiting for a car to be built, it was going to be the LCI M5C.
      05-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #33
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
I'm contemplating getting rid of my M5 CS for the 911 TTS I have coming in, but honestly not sure.

I want a Mac but the Scottsdale dealer here is garbage.
      05-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #34
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Possibly an M8C, but waiting on full details of what the G60 is gonna be like. I’ve got a couple years to wait
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 05:01 PM   #35
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Usually I have my next car picked out within 6-9 months of my new lease. I got the M5 CS last August and I cannot think of anything else that I'd want. I am planning on keeping this CS for the long haul, so that really leaves way too many choices on what I'd get.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #36
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I'm no mechanic and no engineer, and likely not as experienced as some multi car owners here, but the problem with the E63S (for me) when I cross shopped it against my existing M5 was the 9 speed. One gear too many. The car was constantly trying to find/get in proper gear.

Though you're right about the individual specs you listed being somewhat similar, I think FSHNGRY's point somewhat turned on the "driver focused" portion, which I would also say the E63S (again, for me) had nothing on the M5. It felt galaxies apart.

Though, to your point, I did attempt to cross shop one again with my incoming M5 when having difficult finding what I wanted, and only found one new one in the whole country at the time, and it was 2500 miles away from me, in a color I hated to boot. I think I wanted to drive one again to dispel the notion, but I don't think driving one would have made me go with one, especially one that wasn't immediately available for delivery. If I was waiting for a car to be built, it was going to be the LCI M5C.
I have yet to get my M5, hopefully within the next few days, the status just changed "At the dealership" today. So I can't intelligently compare the M5. But I had 2020 E63S, last model year before their version of LCI. I gotta say I assume already I will miss the noise it made, I don't think BMW has that of an aggressive growl. On cold winter mornings the AMG sounded like Chevy small block V8, which was amazing coming from a luxury sedan. I've never had an issue with gear hunting during normal driving, and in Race mode it would never shift past 7th gear.

As far as "drivers car", I truly hope you're right, because I've heard the opposite coming from car journalists that I follow and having an individual who drove an M5 drive my AMG, his reaction was even if M5 was faster physically, he couldn't feel the AMG being slower and AMG felt like it wanted to rip peoples faces off while the M5 was more composed under full throttle, and again I think that's going back to a more aggressive exhaust. Car journalist like SavageGeese did a pretty good job saying M5 lack character because its trying to be best at everything and succeeds, being luxury, comfortable and fast, where you don't feel that sense of speed as you would in the AMG.

My point is the logical step for me after E63S was an M5, an electric like Model S or Audi RS6 was out of the question. I don't know if I will ever go back to the E63S, 2021+ are a lot "softer" and I think they lost that character that my 2020 had. But I am excited for softer ride, the AMG was way to harsh even in comfort setting which I hear the pre LCI M5Comp was also criticized for being too harsh.

And AMG cancelled the V8s for 2022 which is why there is none on the market and won't be for a long time. Lastly I think Porsche is the logical next step after the M5 but its quite a jump financially.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:42 PM   #37
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

"And AMG cancelled the V8s for 2022 which is why there is none on the market and won't be for a long time. Lastly I think Porsche is the logical next step after the M5 but its quite a jump financially."

Bingo. To check all the boxes that the M5 does with a Porsche would be looking at a $180k+ car, and that's in a normal market. Rn we live in the Upside Down. I've been asking around about Taycan and Panny allocations and it's just silly. Plus, good luck getting options…

I may just buy this F90 and ride out the nonsense until just before I'm upside down and the market normalizes.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2022, 09:13 PM   #38
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have yet to get my M5, hopefully within the next few days, the status just changed "At the dealership" today. So I can't intelligently compare the M5. But I had 2020 E63S, last model year before their version of LCI. I gotta say I assume already I will miss the noise it made, I don't think BMW has that of an aggressive growl. On cold winter mornings the AMG sounded like Chevy small block V8, which was amazing coming from a luxury sedan. I've never had an issue with gear hunting during normal driving, and in Race mode it would never shift past 7th gear.

As far as "drivers car", I truly hope you're right, because I've heard the opposite coming from car journalists that I follow and having an individual who drove an M5 drive my AMG, his reaction was even if M5 was faster physically, he couldn't feel the AMG being slower and AMG felt like it wanted to rip peoples faces off while the M5 was more composed under full throttle, and again I think that's going back to a more aggressive exhaust. Car journalist like SavageGeese did a pretty good job saying M5 lack character because its trying to be best at everything and succeeds, being luxury, comfortable and fast, where you don't feel that sense of speed as you would in the AMG.

My point is the logical step for me after E63S was an M5, an electric like Model S or Audi RS6 was out of the question. I don't know if I will ever go back to the E63S, 2021+ are a lot "softer" and I think they lost that character that my 2020 had. But I am excited for softer ride, the AMG was way to harsh even in comfort setting which I hear the pre LCI M5Comp was also criticized for being too harsh.

And AMG cancelled the V8s for 2022 which is why there is none on the market and won't be for a long time. Lastly I think Porsche is the logical next step after the M5 but its quite a jump financially.
Congratulations on being at dealership!

I'll concede I was a sucker for the AMG's growl as well.

In the list of things I'm not, I'm also not a car journalist. I'm just a regular (car) guy who enjoys performance and luxury cars whose had more than a few. Perhaps I don't evaluate my cars like a journalist does, and perhaps I'm not looking at the minute points they are, but I stand by the fact that, despite the "jack of all trades" point being true in that it does all those things, the M5 is the superior car. Perhaps if I had the E63S for longer than the 24 hour extended test drive, my opinion on this would have been different. I'm no BMW or M fanboy saying this. My existing M5 was my first BMW and first M car, and it was cross shopped against the AMG. I would have objectively gone with whichever car felt better to me.
I'll also note I've been using a RaceChip GTS black since after break in service - about 27k now. The word I best used to describe the pull I get with it, and that I've seen used on the forum here before is "violent." I suppose you could make the argument that had you fitted the RaceChip on the AMG (and they do make it for the E63S), it would also still be "better" than the M5 because it's performance would increase as well.

As an objective car guy, I think you're truly going to enjoy your new car.
      05-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #39
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
"And AMG cancelled the V8s for 2022 which is why there is none on the market and won't be for a long time. Lastly I think Porsche is the logical next step after the M5 but its quite a jump financially."

Bingo. To check all the boxes that the M5 does with a Porsche would be looking at a $180k+ car, and that's in a normal market. Rn we live in the Upside Down. I've been asking around about Taycan and Panny allocations and it's just silly. Plus, good luck getting options…

I may just buy this F90 and ride out the nonsense until just before I'm upside down and the market normalizes.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="BLACK"]Bingo. To check all the boxes that M5 does with a Porsche would be looking at a $180k+ car, and that's in a normal market. Rn we live in the Upside Down. I've been asking around about Taycan and Panny allocations and it's just silly. Plus, good luck getting options…[/COLOR][/COLOR]

^ I was making this point to the sales guy at another car I was checking out today. Beyond being a phenomenal automobile, it's one of the best value cars out there. So much car for the money. Your point holds true to many other brands as well.
      05-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #40
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Getting tired of waiting for my incoming M5 with delay after delay and seriously checked out a Vantage today.

I did post a contradiction to this sentiment earlier in this thread. I answered the question with another M5. If the M5 were on the lot ready to go right now, I wouldn't even be looking at other cars. My timeline has seriously devolved in the last couple of days however, and I'm trying to find something to scratch the new car itch with.
      05-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #41
LASpartan
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M5

I got a great lease deal on my 2021 M5 right before all car prices skyrocketed. So I will most likely just buy it when the lease is up because I don't think I can get into anything comparable for the same price. But maybe things are different in December 2023 when we are in a recession.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #42
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

In the list of things I'm not, I'm also not a car journalist. I'm just a regular (car) guy who enjoys performance and luxury cars whose had more than a few. Perhaps I don't evaluate my cars like a journalist does, and perhaps I'm not looking at the minute points they are, but I stand by the fact that, despite the "jack of all trades" point being true in that it does all those things, the M5 is the superior car. Perhaps if I had the E63S for longer than the 24 hour extended test drive, my opinion on this would have been different. I'm no BMW or M fanboy saying this. My existing M5 was my first BMW and first M car, and it was cross shopped against the AMG. I would have objectively gone with whichever car felt better to me.
I'll also note I've been using a RaceChip GTS black since after break in service - about 27k now. The word I best used to describe the pull I get with it, and that I've seen used on the forum here before is "violent." I suppose you could make the argument that had you fitted the RaceChip on the AMG (and they do make it for the E63S), it would also still be "better" than the M5 because it's performance would increase as well.

I won't argue against you, as a fellow "car guy" I respect other enthusiast's opinion. As long as it brings a smile to your face and makes you take a look back each time you park it, its all that matters whether its an M5 or a Civic. I truly loved my E63, very emotionaly invested in it. And i did have a Renntech tune on it which made it an absolute beast, not that I ever thought it was slow before the tune. As far as journalist go they have a lot to reference and entitled to their opinion, I'm just an average Joe, so I know for a fact I will have a smile on my face everytime I get in that M5
Appreciate 1
vanos8466.00
      05-18-2022, 07:43 PM   #43
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I won't argue against you, as a fellow "car guy" I respect other enthusiast's opinion. As long as it brings a smile to your face and makes you take a look back each time you park it, its all that matters whether its an M5 or a Civic. I truly loved my E63, very emotionaly invested in it. And i did have a Renntech tune on it which made it an absolute beast, not that I ever thought it was slow before the tune. As far as journalist go they have a lot to reference and entitled to their opinion, I'm just an average Joe, so I know for a fact I will have a smile on my face everytime I get in that M5
Lol we are both in the same boat! Tone is just a bit difficult to convey on the internet sometimes.

I can tell you it definitely checks those boxes for me and I hope it does for you, too!

There are no doubts in my an E63S, especially a la Renntech, is anything short of an absolute beast. I'd love to have the opportunity to drive one even if it wouldn't be my first choice of daily driver.

With all that being said, due to all the delays happening on ordered BMWs now, to be honest, hypothetically, if I found an E63S (even though as we've said there are none new) that felt good and was ready to go, I could very easily get into one.
      05-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #44
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
GT3 or C8 Z06. It'll definitely be tough to give up the F90 when the time comes.
Thought they already squashed the Z06

edit: nvm, i was duped by April fools apparently. yeesh.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)

Last edited by Maverik259; 05-24-2022 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0