BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Liqui Moly Additives

02-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Liqui Moly Additives

So, older car people (older versions with some miles, not older people), who is adding additives?

Jectron?
Ceratech?
Etc?

I watched a video from Liqui Moly about their additives and found it very interesting.

I just ordered some of them. The engine flush, ceratech, jectron.....

I was very interested in that MOTOR OIL SAVER, supposed to rejuvenate seals and should 'try it' before pulling your GD engine out for a seal issue LOL. I am not sure if that would have fixed my engine leak on my RS6 as it was a metal to metal liquid sealant as opposed to a rubber main seal (which was fine after 140,000 miles), but would have been nice to at least try it.

Also the coolant system "Stopleak" that is very interesting stuff.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
his earrings and other rings are weird, i wonder where else he is pieced

but seriously informative video
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
his earrings and other rings are weird, i wonder where else he is pieced

but seriously informative video
ROFL.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
So, older car people (older versions with some miles, not older people), who is adding additives?

Jectron?
Ceratech?
Etc?

I watched a video from Liqui Moly about their additives and found it very interesting.

https://youtu.be/dj80AFvcmzo

I just ordered some of them. The engine flush, ceratech, jectron.....

I was very interested in that MOTOR OIL SAVER, supposed to rejuvenate seals and should 'try it' before pulling your GD engine out for a seal issue LOL. I am not sure if that would have fixed my engine leak on my RS6 as it was a metal to metal liquid sealant as opposed to a rubber main seal (which was fine after 140,000 miles), but would have been nice to at least try it.

Also the coolant system "Stopleak" that is very interesting stuff.

Mike
I've heard and seen the oil saver gum up some stuff so I personally wouldn't use it... with ceratech in my f10 m5 oil consumption went up quite a bit and it just didn't really run right... it's very thick and gooey and drains that way after 4k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Ceratec has calcium and calcium is suspected to be a contributor to LSPI. I did put it in my cars but won’t overdo that additive. Moly may be the better choice. Jectron should not hurt and I use it as well.

Good oils and good gas probably make these additives less beneficial or necessary.

On direct injection motors, no fuel is spraying on the backs of the valves from the intake manifold, which means there should be more carbon and goo deposits. I remember removing the intake manifold to clean the backs of the valves and intake ports on my E61 535xi with N54 DI motor and there was a lot of goo and carbon. I have not done this servicing on my F90 M5 — that will be a big job given the complexity of the motor and tight fit in the engine bay. I do run water/meth injection, which helps reduce deposits, but obviously I have not looked.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 02-01-2023 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

thanks for input.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Ceratec has calcium and calcium is suspected to be a contributor to LSPI. I did put it in my cars but won’t overdo that additive. Moly may be the better choice. Jectron should not hurt and I use it as well.

Good oils and good gas probably make these additives less beneficial or necessary.

On direct injection motors, no fuel is spraying on the backs of the valves from the intake manifold, reducing deposits. I remember removing the intake manifold to clean the backs of the valves and intake ports on my E61 535xi with N54 DI motor and there was a lot of goo and carbon. I have not done this servicing on my F90 M5 — that will be a big job given the complexity of the motor and tight fit in the engine bay. I do run water/meth injection, which helps reduce deposits, but obviously I have not looked.
I was told by my indy shop they would need to drop the motor to be able to walnut blast the valves to remove the carbon build up, if I ever decide to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 09:40 PM   #8
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

I used the motor oil saver on my M4 at 50 or 60k miles. The car would burn through about a liter over the course of 9k miles prior and after the consumption dropped to half. Same driving habits and same oil used before and after using it. Used ceratec and the valve train quieted down too. Intend on using it on my next oil change with the M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:59 PM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
I was told by my indy shop they would need to drop the motor to be able to walnut blast the valves to remove the carbon build up, if I ever decide to do it.
It's funny when people say drop the motor (not saying it needs to he done or not since I haven't had to do any work on an f90 yet) but realistically it's not as involved a process to actually drop the engine as people would like to make it sound (or make you believe and charge you for)😂 heck, I could have your whole body separated from your drivetrain and suspension in 1 hour or so. It's a bit of a pia to put it back together but no more than 2-3 hours even for that. Older bmws? (Think e46) Could strip the whole car in an hour leaving the bare shell. That being said I think book time for engine out is like 18-25 hours? I'd have to double check the actual time but it's something ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:48 AM   #10
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
It's funny when people say drop the motor (not saying it needs to he done or not since I haven't had to do any work on an f90 yet) but realistically it's not as involved a process to actually drop the engine as people would like to make it sound (or make you believe and charge you for)�� heck, I could have your whole body separated from your drivetrain and suspension in 1 hour or so. It's a bit of a pia to put it back together but no more than 2-3 hours even for that. Older bmws? (Think e46) Could strip the whole car in an hour leaving the bare shell. That being said I think book time for engine out is like 18-25 hours? I'd have to double check the actual time but it's something ridiculous.
I will probably do it if I reach 150,000KM on the odo. only at 36km currently.
He was quoting around 4 K CDN funds to do it.
On my FBO 335 stage 2.5 I was doing it every 50,000KM for a cost of 1,200 CDN.
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      02-03-2023, 07:30 AM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
It's funny when people say drop the motor (not saying it needs to he done or not since I haven't had to do any work on an f90 yet) but realistically it's not as involved a process to actually drop the engine as people would like to make it sound (or make you believe and charge you for)😂 heck, I could have your whole body separated from your drivetrain and suspension in 1 hour or so. It's a bit of a pia to put it back together but no more than 2-3 hours even for that. Older bmws? (Think e46) Could strip the whole car in an hour leaving the bare shell. That being said I think book time for engine out is like 18-25 hours? I'd have to double check the actual time but it's something ridiculous.
18-25 hours to take the engine out for the F90 seems like a lot more than the 1 hour it takes you to drop a motor in an E46. I have poked around a bit on the F90 (motor mounts, down pipes, lowering springs, monoballs) and it is really complex. I walnut blasted the N54 in my E61 535xi in about 5 hours, having never done the job before and taking my time. But I could do all that from above. From what I have been able to see if the F90, it’s definitely not a job I am looking forward to and it may well be easier to just drop the engine and trans.

I am running water/meth injection and hope that helps delay this servicing. And maybe for some reason it won’t be bad on these motors. Some car makers have started adding back port injection to DI cars for this very reason, but BMW has not so I think the F90 will benefit from the servicing at a higher mileage and age (I did my N54 at 90k miles and it was running fine but those ports were really gooey).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 07:50 AM   #12
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I wouldn’t worry about additives. Good oil and changes every 5k is better than any additive you can buy.
Appreciate 1
masonh6.50
      02-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
18-25 hours to take the engine out for the F90 seems like a lot more than the 1 hour it takes you to drop a motor in an E46. I have poked around a bit on the F90 (motor mounts, down pipes, lowering springs, monoballs) and it is really complex. I walnut blasted the N54 in my E61 535xi in about 5 hours, having never done the job before and taking my time. But I could do all that from above. From what I have been able to see if the F90, it’s definitely not a job I am looking forward to and it may well be easier to just drop the engine and trans.

I am running water/meth injection and hope that helps delay this servicing. And maybe for some reason it won’t be bad on these motors. Some car makers have started adding back port injection to DI cars for this very reason, but BMW has not so I think the F90 will benefit from the servicing at a higher mileage and age (I did my N54 at 90k miles and it was running fine but those ports were really gooey).
I'm not sure if I didn't make myself clear... the labor rates are just ridiculous... here is book time for a car that I have personally stripped for part outs in about an hour. Realistically once you disconnect brake lines, electronics, rad hoses (unless you're taking the rad out with it) ac lines transmission cables, it's about 12 bolts to unbolt both subframes and trans members, remove exhaust hangers, and 3 bolts at each strut tower if I reefer correctly? Before the whole car is sperated from drivetrain and exhaust.
This is for an e46 m3. I'm sure the new m5 is right around the same numbers since most cars are around this labor time. (My 2022 doesn't have labor times in the system yet)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Stripping for parts is easier than servicing a car you would like to drive again. One works faster and cares less. If you can post details on the quick walnut blasting job on the F90 when you do it, that will be useful to those of us who think it is more complicated.
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      02-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #15
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Stripping for parts is easier than servicing a car you would like to drive again. One works faster and cares less. If you can post details on the quick walnut blasting job on the F90 when you do it, that will be useful to those of us who think it is more complicated.
It'll probably be quite a while before it gets done on my car, but if anyone brings theirs in I'll lyk. But in terms of stripping a car or servicing a car it's the same thing, same parts come off, same things get disconnected. I've done many a "body swap" where the body is rotted out and they want to swap drivetrains. Probably the "hardest" part is just aligning everything but once you do you just lower the body onto the drivetrain and bolt everything back up.
Appreciate 0