BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    PCD and PPF for M3?

03-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Smile PCD and PPF for M3?

Hi everyone. I am starting to plan my M3 order and I am looking to do Performance center delivery since Euro Delivery is not an option any more.
I have done PCD once before but this time its a bit different. Last time I took delivery and did not think of doing PPF on the car so the wife and I just drove it home after doing some sightseeing on the way back.
This time I was really wanting to do PPF and thinking whole car not just hood/front. I have a couple of questions.
  1. Should I get the car then try to get it into a local installer near Spartanburg ?
  2. Does anyone have any local dealers they can recommend if I do that?
  3. Is full car PPF overkill? This is my first M3 and I "may" be going a bit off the deep end. I also have never had PPF done to any of my cars.
  4. Assuming no deep stone chips, is PPF able to be done post-trip or am I asking for trouble?

Additional question for extra credit.
Any must see places in Charleston ? haven't been there before and was thinking we could take a short stop over there on our way back home. Heard it was nice for retirement and thought we could do some recon and see the sights too.

thanks in advance!

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Hi everyone. I am starting to plan my M3 order and I am looking to do Performance center delivery since Euro Delivery is not an option any more.
I have done PCD once before but this time its a bit different. Last time I took delivery and did not think of doing PPF on the car so the wife and I just drove it home after doing some sightseeing on the way back.
This time I was really wanting to do PPF and thinking whole car not just hood/front. I have a couple of questions.
  1. Should I get the car then try to get it into a local installer near Spartanburg ?
  2. Does anyone have any local dealers they can recommend if I do that?
  3. Is full car PPF overkill? This is my first M3 and I "may" be going a bit off the deep end. I also have never had PPF done to any of my cars.
  4. Assuming no deep stone chips, is PPF able to be done post-trip or am I asking for trouble?

Additional question for extra credit.
Any must see places in Charleston ? haven't been there before and was thinking we could take a short stop over there on our way back home. Heard it was nice for retirement and thought we could do some recon and see the sights too.

thanks in advance!
This will also be my first foray into PPF. I settled on full front, and then will do ceramic coating on the whole car. In NorCal full car is outrageous - $8k is not uncommon, which seems hard to justify. One comment I'd make - I've barely driven the car (getting PPF on Monday) but have noticed the high gloss extended shadow line areas are already showing marks, so I definitely want to get all of those areas covered, I think they're going to wear really easily
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
This will also be my first foray into PPF. I settled on full front, and then will do ceramic coating on the whole car. In NorCal full car is outrageous - $8k is not uncommon, which seems hard to justify. One comment I'd make - I've barely driven the car (getting PPF on Monday) but have noticed the high gloss extended shadow line areas are already showing marks, so I definitely want to get all of those areas covered, I think they're going to wear really easily
I have been wavering between full car or just front. my biggest question is about maintenance on the PPF. can you just wash the car as normal or does it change things like that?
I would assume those shadow line areas are the worst chip magnets next to the front.
I have never had a car I wanted to put PPF on but this one is going to be special for me.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
DandyDan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C IOMG

Quote:
I have been wavering between full car or just front. my biggest question is about maintenance on the PPF. can you just wash the car as normal or does it change things like that?
I would assume those shadow line areas are the worst chip magnets next to the front.
I have never had a car I wanted to put PPF on but this one is going to be special for me.
I have it on my current F82. I have a new G82 on order.

Yes, you can wash it as normal, as long as you're using a high quality car shampoo.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDan View Post
I have it on my current F82. I have a new G82 on order.

Yes, you can wash it as normal, as long as you're using a high quality car shampoo.
so overall you would say its a good idea to do? my current cars all have that little bit or road rash that you get on the front bumper that I want to avoid as well as the trim on the G80 that sounds like its a needed thing.

Big question is how much of an issue is it and how much road rash will I have from driving it home from Spartanburg? Its about 1k one way for me and that equals a lot of possible chips. not sure how a wrap looks if applied over a chip scratch or if it needs correction before PPF.

Im a little nuts about this since I am definitely doing an individual color and with the investment in that I want it staying nice.

--

Last edited by Geektechlive; 03-20-2021 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention reason
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Is the PDC open yet? Other than the plant, Spartanburg was closed up tight at least when I went by in December.

PPF on the whole car? Nah. I have it on the front, 1/3 up the hood, mirrors, and added it to the fenders when I put wider rims/tires on. Ceramic coat is a better investment than full PPF, IMO. I had that done 2-3 years ago and the paint still looks mirror-glossy and water slides right off.
      03-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
Is the PDC open yet? Other than the plant, Spartanburg was closed up tight at least when I went by in December.

PPF on the whole car? Nah. I have it on the front, 1/3 up the hood, mirrors, and added it to the fenders when I put wider rims/tires on. Ceramic coat is a better investment than full PPF, IMO. I had that done 2-3 years ago and the paint still looks mirror-glossy and water slides right off.
I was told it should be open by the time the AWD allocations are ready for delivery (barring any "additional" pandemic issues).
I did look at Ceramic coatings but they aren't able to stop stone chips like PPF from what I read.
please let me know if I am incorrect or if your experience is different. I am still researching all this to try to decide what I want to do.
For PPF I would do a minimum of the front half and all lower shadow line trim parts. I have seen PPF with only half hood and I can't get past the "line" where it ends on the panel . I would need the whole hood.

--

Last edited by Geektechlive; 03-21-2021 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: forgot to add comment
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
so overall you would say its a good idea to do? my current cars all have that little bit or road rash that you get on the front bumper that I want to avoid as well as the trim on the G80 that sounds like its a needed thing.

Big question is how much of an issue is it and how much road rash will I have from driving it home from Spartanburg? Its about 1k one way for me and that equals a lot of possible chips. not sure how a wrap looks if applied over a chip scratch or if it needs correction before PPF.

Im a little nuts about this since I am definitely doing an individual color and with the investment in that I want it staying nice.
Bro, do the whole car ( Ceramic also )and never look back! It is so simple to maintain. Wash and dry. You will always have perfect paint. After awhile you will feel the wrap/ceramic getting a bit rough. ( Like Sand paperish ) Just use a Mothers clay bar ( the rubber one ) and boom. Smooth again. To me, it's a no brainer. Both my cars are done and so worth it in my opinion. It's like 5 G's around here for the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:17 PM   #9
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:

Bro, do the whole car ( Ceramic also )and never look back! It is so simple to maintain. Wash and dry. You will always have perfect paint. After awhile you will feel the wrap/ceramic getting a bit rough. ( Like Sand paperish ) Just use a Mothers clay bar ( the rubber one ) and boom. Smooth again. To me, it's a no brainer. Both my cars are done and so worth it in my opinion. It's like 5 G's around here for the whole car.
So , PPF and ceramic? Didn't know people did that.
I'm still heavily leaning on doing the whole car.

--
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I would definitely do the whole car. On two cars I have the front up to 1/3 of the roof, mirrors, rocker panels, etc. If I were doing it again I would do the whole car. It lasts a long time, allows you to wash it like normal paint, etc.

I picked a car up at PCD a few years back. I traveled with a roll of track tape and taped up the whole car right there, then drove it straight to Detailer's Domain in NJ the next morning for them to do it.

Those first scratches before you do PPF are the worst, I'm happy the paint on that car looks 100% perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
PCD is open. Has been the whole time. Some elements of the experience are hit or miss. I have a scheduled PCD on the last week of April.

Second time doing it. First time (700 mile trip) for my F80, I did get back home with a chip or two from the trip. It was not the end of the world for me but I also knew I was not keeping the car long term.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So , PPF and ceramic? Didn't know people did that.
I'm still heavily leaning on doing the whole car.
Yes , both
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Yes , both
How does ceramic get along with a matte wrap like the XPEL Stealth?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
How does ceramic get along with a matte wrap like the XPEL Stealth?
Not sure about that. Ask whoever you are having the work done by
Appreciate 1
OSee933.50