BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Tunes: can BMW detect them including piggies

12-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #23
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn A View Post
What mods are done to your M8?
A number of aesthetic mods and a small box in the engine bay that I use exclusively for logging engine performance data for... errr, scientific purposes.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      12-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #24
bcparker2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
They can't use those codes to deny warranty as they can't tell whether you're going down a big hill.
They can always calibrate out gravity unfortunately it is pretty constant everywhere +-2% so with a simple 3 axis accelerometer there will always be a vector pointing some direction toward the earth the rest is math and bam they got ya. But there are probably a half dozen of factors for that code to be thrown.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #25
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcparker2 View Post
They can always calibrate out gravity unfortunately it is pretty constant everywhere +-2% so with a simple 3 axis accelerometer there will always be a vector pointing some direction toward the earth the rest is math and bam they got ya. But there are probably a half dozen of factors for that code to be thrown.
They don't know the slope or your position since it's not based on GPS. What triggers that fault is acceleration of the engine rpm and it usually is triggered during a hard launch. This fault code has been around for a long time just search the B58 forums but in 5 years since I've seen the code posted no one has ever said it resulted in warranty denial for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #26
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
They can't use those codes to deny warranty as they can't tell whether you're going down a big hill.
That's just not true... wish it was.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcparker2 View Post
They don't know the slope or your position since it's not based on GPS. What triggers that fault is acceleration of the engine rpm and it usually is triggered during a hard launch. This fault code has been around for a long time just search the B58 forums but in 5 years since I've seen the code posted no one has ever said it resulted in warranty denial for them.
My purpose for posting this was constrained to something reasonable: purely informative and/or cautionary... plus I'd never seen it before so I thought it was a curiosity that others might share. You cannot substantiate claims that include pronouns like "nobody/no one" and scopes of "ever"... that's just absurd. I'd argue that limiting the source to forum posts renders it statistically meaningless, too.

I'd also assert (opinion, not fact) that the triggers for these codes evolve over time as technology permits—just because it used to be based on X doesn't mean BMW/somebody didn't consider and later add Y and Z and...
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12912.50
M5 TT169.00
Jamesmick131.00
      12-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Good info limeypride .
Like what we says in the old days, we have to pay to play.
I bet you that BMW doesn't even want to go to this route, until guys claiming warranties on things that they've done and knows that it was their fault.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 4
M5 TT169.00
limeypride4423.50
josec704062.00
Mcc420475.00