BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Apple Spatial Audio in car

06-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
saveywil1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘21 F90 M5 Competition

Apple Spatial Audio in car

I’m not sure if anyone has played around with this a little. Played a could of songs back to back to compare regular & the new spatial version. I felt like I could hear a difference, not sure what the audio equivalent of the butt dyno is?.. Also I’m not someone who has an especially tuned ear!
Curious to hear from those of you who are.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
Omar0022
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveywil1 View Post
I’m not sure if anyone has played around with this a little. Played a could of songs back to back to compare regular & the new spatial version. I felt like I could hear a difference, not sure what the audio equivalent of the butt dyno is?.. Also I’m not someone who has an especially tuned ear!
Curious to hear from those of you who are.
I actually thought of that too! One of my regular songs that I listen to actually sounded enhanced/cleaner if I had to describe it, like I was listening to a CD. You might be on to something. I thought it was just me, but you also noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I'm a car audio sound quality competitor and partner in a speaker design company. I'll take a listen on my B&W in the M5 and report back.
Appreciate 1
saveywil1230.50
      06-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

I tested out the spatial audio sampler in Apple Music today on my 2020 M5 with B&W audio. I don't have a ton of time to write a lengthy review, but here are some quick impressions.

First of all, I want to point out that the sample files they provide in Apple Music are not a good demonstration of the differences between mono, stereo and Atmos. This is because they have deliberately manipulated the sound on the "mono" and "stereo" samples. Specifically, they added a heavy reverb effect to the sound, which makes the music sound like it's in a highly reflective room. So when they switch from stereo to Dolby Atmos on the Marvin Gaye track, the reverb goes away and the music immediately sounds very different. I think this is a very dishonest tactic from Apple. They have added an obvious effect to the initial samples and then remove the effect to showcase their spatial audio sample.

As for listening to spatial tracks vs. stereo....

On the B&W system, I could hear a distinctly different frequency response with spatial audio. The midbass levels actually sound lower. Kick drums have less thump. Basslines have less tactile presence. Male vocals don't sound as full.

The B&W system unfortunately is not capable of proper stereo imaging from the driver seat, because there are no speaker delays in the processing to correct for the off-center seating position. The only way to get the B&W system to image properly is to sit in the center-rear seat of the car and lean forward with your head in between the front seats. When you do that, the distances from the speakers to your ears will be the same and it will put them in-phase. From the driver's seat, the front speakers are out-of-phase which prevents proper stereo imaging. Sounds that are intended to be in the center of the acoustical space will instead emanate from both sides of the car and sound diffuse. Spatial audio did not make much improvement for that reason. Vocals do not center in the soundstage on the B&W system, period. Male vocals tend to come from both sides below the dash, while female vocals are perceived higher but still from both sides. Spatial audio did not change this.
Appreciate 3
saveywil1230.50
Jamesmick131.00
Ck00303.50
      06-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
saveywil1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘21 F90 M5 Competition

Thanks for taking the time to listen, then give your thoughts. I tried listening on a pair of Bose noise cancelling earphones I have and there is a much more pronounced difference to the music.
It’s definitely different, I’m not sure if I like it or not!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
Ck00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I tested out the spatial audio sampler in Apple Music today on my 2020 M5 with B&W audio. I don't have a ton of time to write a lengthy review, but here are some quick impressions.

First of all, I want to point out that the sample files they provide in Apple Music are not a good demonstration of the differences between mono, stereo and Atmos. This is because they have deliberately manipulated the sound on the "mono" and "stereo" samples. Specifically, they added a heavy reverb effect to the sound, which makes the music sound like it's in a highly reflective room. So when they switch from stereo to Dolby Atmos on the Marvin Gaye track, the reverb goes away and the music immediately sounds very different. I think this is a very dishonest tactic from Apple. They have added an obvious effect to the initial samples and then remove the effect to showcase their spatial audio sample.

On the B&W system, I could hear a distinctly different frequency response with spatial audio. The midbass levels actually sound lower. Kick drums have less thump. Basslines have less tactile presence. Male vocals don't sound as full.

The B&W system unfortunately is not capable of proper stereo imaging from the driver seat, because there are no speaker delays in the processing to correct for the off-center seating position. The only way to get the B&W system to image properly is to sit in the center-rear seat of the car and lean forward with your head in between the front seats. When you do that, the distances from the speakers to your ears will be the same and it will put them in-phase. From the driver's seat, the front speakers are out-of-phase which prevents proper stereo imaging. Sounds that are intended to be in the center of the acoustical space will instead emanate from both sides of the car and sound diffuse. Spatial audio did not make much improvement for that reason. Vocals do not center in the soundstage on the B&W system, period. Male vocals tend to come from both sides below the dash, while female vocals are perceived higher but still from both sides. Spatial audio did not change this.
Thanks for sharing your insights. Do you mind sharing your sound settings and EQ as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck00 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your insights. Do you mind sharing your sound settings and EQ as well?
Studio

All settings are flat

I have a Mercedes with a full aftermarket audio system, so the M5 stereo is not anything I care about. 😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Ck00303.50
Jamesmick131.00
saveywil1230.50
      06-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Studio

All settings are flat

I have a Mercedes with a full aftermarket audio system, so the M5 stereo is not anything I care about. 😂
That is a thing of beauty! I can only imagine how nice it sounds. Cheers!
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 0