BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    CarBahn F90 M5 Tune Review

12-12-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB M5

CarBahn F90 M5 Tune Review

CarBahn Tune Review - (Long post alert)

I recently put CarBahn's Stage 1 tune on my 2019 M5. I wanted to write up a review and provide some Dragy numbers so folks get to see my results as I found them a little hard to come by when I was researching options.

I have read a bunch about different tuning options and ultimately choose CarBahn for the warranty and Steve Dinan's history with BMW. Yes, I am aware that it costs more than other tunes ($3K if you get the matching warranty), but I was drawn to the idea of having the warranty to back up the increase in power and that was worth it to me. I also liked the idea of having the health of a full tune and not just modifying boost. I am also aware that it isn't the most powerful stage one tune but again, reliability and warranty were important to me. The other options I considered were:
-RaceChip GTS and JB4- I liked the idea of the piggyback as you could just pull it off for service. I know the JB4 allows for more customization but I kinda wanted something that I could just set and forget. (I even bought a used RaceChip that will I am going to post for sale - PM me if interested)
-Flash Tune - honestly felt a little overwhelmed by all the options and again just wanted ease of not tinkering.
-Noelle - j/k . Just wanted to see if folks were paying attention.

I got the tune done at RRT in Sterling, VA and fortunately they could just do the tune via the OBD port so it only took about an hour. First impression was that I could immediately feel the difference - definitely faster off the line and the power at highway speeds is night and day compared to stock. I have been really happy with the results. The car feels fantastic and I love the additional power.

I was able to run the car at Dominion Raceway's straightaway (unprepared surface) last weekend to grab Dragy numbers. The caveat to my numbers were that it was cold 43° F and very hard to get traction - also my first time using launch control. My best run was a 10.89 which I was pleased with. To give you and idea of what other cars were running the other Dragy results I am posting are from a Hurcan (11.29) and a new NSX (11.60). I beat a R8 V10 Plus, Mustang 5.0 (not sure of the aftermarket parts), X5 M, GT3 RS, 997 Porsche Turbo, M2 Comp among others. Not sure how to post video here, but it's on my Instagram if you want to check it out - @mbb_m5 ().

Happy to answer any questions folks may have but I hope this helps somebody trying to decide what route they want to take when searching for more power! I'll also update the thread with more results as I will try to get some more runs in if we get a warmer day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
brava09767.00
Egrunt548.50
SGMM5115.50
FSHNGRY2301.00
      12-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Strong numbers! Can you extract from your runs the 100-200 kmh?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 04:01 AM   #3
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Strong numbers! Can you extract from your runs the 100-200 kmh?
Thanks. Here you go:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
brava09767.00
HokieM4100.00
FSHNGRY2301.00
      12-12-2020, 04:05 AM   #4
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Thanks

My stock time for 100-200 is 7.3 so your number with the carbahn looks like serious improvement
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 04:07 AM   #5
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Thanks

My stock time for 100-200 is 7.3 so your number with the carbahn looks like serious improvement
That's good to know. Kicking Myself a little for not ordering the Dragy before I did the tune for a baseline.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

TY for the informative write up!
      12-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Nice work!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
TY for the informative write up!
👍
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBM5 View Post

I recently put CarBahn's Stage 1 tune on my 2019 M5. I wanted to write up a review and provide some Dragy numbers so folks get to see my results as I found them a little hard to come by when I was researching options.

I have read a bunch about different tuning options and ultimately choose CarBahn for the warranty and Steve Dinan's history with BMW. Yes, I am aware that it costs more than other tunes ($3K if you get the matching warranty), but I was drawn to the idea of having the warranty to back up the increase in power and that was worth it to me. I also liked the idea of having the health of a full tune and not just modifying boost. I am also aware that it isn't the most powerful stage one tune but again, reliability and warranty were important to me. The other options I considered were:
-RaceChip GTS and JB4- I liked the idea of the piggyback as you could just pull it off for service. I know the JB4 allows for more customization but I kinda wanted something that I could just set and forget. (I even bought a used RaceChip that will I am going to post for sale - PM me if interested)
-Flash Tune - honestly felt a little overwhelmed by all the options and again just wanted ease of not tinkering.

I got the tune done at RRT in Sterling, VA and fortunately they could just do the tune via the OBD port so it only took about an hour. First impression was that I could immediately feel the difference - definitely faster off the line and the power at highway speeds is night and day compared to stock. I have been really happy with the results. The car feels fantastic and I love the additional power.

I was able to run the car at Dominion Raceway's straightaway (unprepared surface) last weekend to grab Dragy numbers. The caveat to my numbers were that it was cold 43° F and very hard to get traction - also my first time using launch control. My best run was a 10.89 which I was pleased with. To give you and idea of what other cars were running the other Dragy results I am posting are from a Hurcan (11.29) and a new NSX (11.60). I beat a R8 V10 Plus, Mustang 5.0 (not sure of the aftermarket parts), X5 M, GT3 RS, 997 Porsche Turbo, M2 Comp among others. Not sure how to post video here, but it's on my Instagram if you want to check it out - @mbb_m5 ().

Happy to answer any questions folks may have but I hope this helps somebody trying to decide what route they want to take when searching for more power! I'll also update the thread with more results as I will try to get some more runs in if we get a warmer day.
thanks. I'm thinking of getting the same then at RRT Sterling as well. much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
HokieM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Mineral Grey Metallic

Great review! I agree, the warranty makes a huge difference. I'm out in Loudoun county and have been meaning to make it out to dominion. Do they have specific days when anyone can show up to use the 1/4 or is it members only type thing?
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #11
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieM4 View Post
Great review! I agree, the warranty makes a huge difference. I'm out in Loudoun county and have been meaning to make it out to dominion. Do they have specific days when anyone can show up to use the 1/4 or is it members only type thing?
Thanks! I'm a part of Capital Auto Club and we organize it with Hurricane Racing. Simply costs $30 to run all day and $15 to ride. We will try to organize a bunch of days and can keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the write-up

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieM4 View Post
I'm in Loudoun too, but I'm a UVA fan.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #14
Slow Walker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Black M5 Comp

Quote:

I'm in Olney and just now learning about this. Kicking myself. Had been waiting for Dinan all this time time only to find out no dealers support it. So getting Carbahn installed this Friday on my 2020 M5 como that I have now had for 2 years 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #15
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Walker View Post
Quote:

I'm in Olney and just now learning about this. Kicking myself. Had been waiting for Dinan all this time time only to find out no dealers support it. So getting Carbahn installed this Friday on my 2020 M5 como that I have now had for 2 years 😂
Quote:
Quote:

Would appreciate a follow up after u get the tune
      02-14-2022, 06:55 PM   #16
Slow Walker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:59 PM   #17
SGMM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2001 Lexus IS300

Thanks for writing this review! I've been trying to decide on what route to go for tune and have been looking at Carbahn for awhile. I'm in MD so good to hear about your experience RRT and find some more F90 owners in the area.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 M4 ZCP Black/Black

They still can't do lci 21/22 years tunes, right? Just piggy backs for those I think?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #19
Slow Walker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely
Just got the Stage I tune today. I can definitely feel the increase in power and it made the car much louder with the valves open… lol. Going to try to get some Draggy numbers over the weekend. Question I have is that I have seen the following numbers on Carbahn's website:

Both for the Stage I tune. Which one is correct?

93 Octane: 812 Flywheel HP | 774lb-ft Flywheel torque
100 Octane: 854 Flvwheel HP | 783lb-ft Flvwheel torque

And

93 Octane: 783 Flywheel HP & 774 Ib-ft
Flywheel torque
100 Octane: 816 Flywheel HP & 783 lb-ft
Flywheel torque

I sent them an email to get clarification. Anyone here have an answer?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 10:30 PM   #20
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely
Just got the Stage I tune today. I can definitely feel the increase in power and it made the car much louder with the valves open… lol. Going to try to get some Draggy numbers over the weekend. Question I have is that I have seen the following numbers on Carbahn's website:

And

Flywheel torque
Flywheel torque

The 812hp is with the upgraded heat exchanger so its like there stage 2
      02-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #21
Slow Walker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely

And

Flywheel torque
Flywheel torque

The 812hp is with the upgraded heat exchanger so its like there stage 2
Makes sense. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #22
EPTXM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Your DA was -810ft! That's awesome. I ran my 18 m5 at roswell nm and my DA was 4500ft. First time racing and all I could find was 90 octane and I have just the eventuri intake on a jb4 in map1 and ran an 11.5@120 on a jj da boss arm drop competition w no prep.
Appreciate 0