BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bimmertech Android Auto Sound Quality

12-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
AuZZZie
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5

Bimmertech Android Auto Sound Quality

Folks,

I have a 2019 without Android Auto so I'm looking at Bimmertechs add-on, not really for functionality but for sound quality. I recently realized how much better using the native Screen Mirroring to play my music sounded (WiFi) over using Bluetooth, since for whatever reason manufactures refuse to get onboard with codecs like Apt-X that make bluetooth tolerable. The SQ different between the two is significant to me but not having any sort of media control without unlocking my phone is pretty irritating so while the factory screen mirroring sounds better, it's a bit clunky.

I found the following in one of Bimmertechs articles that basically states the module has to go through the AUX interface which won't sound any better than Bluetooth.

“That means having to connect a third-party audio receiver to your vehicle through the iDrive's AUX port, which won't be able to offer a huge audio improvement over connecting directly to the iDrive system via Bluetooth” confirm.

Wondering if someone in the know BMW electronics can confirm. Would the factory screen mirroring have a better audio signal path than the Bimmertech Android Auto module?

Cheers
Appreciate 0