BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Reasonable cost for carbon pro spoiler install

10-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Reasonable cost for carbon pro spoiler install

Can anyone tell me what would be a reasonable cost to have the dealer install the carbon pro spoiler, outside the sale of the car? The one I am buying has the “standard” spoiler on it (M5C), and I want to upgrade to the higher profile spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
Can anyone tell me what would be a reasonable cost to have the dealer install the carbon pro spoiler, outside the sale of the car? The one I am buying has the "standard" spoiler on it (M5C), and I want to upgrade to the higher profile spoiler.
1 hour labor max. That's being generous. For someone who's never done it, it won't take you more than an hour.

Edit: As far as cost of spoiler, I'm finding the OEM pro spoiler for $648 online.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeLpErZx View Post
1 hour labor max. That's being generous. For someone who's never done it, it won't take you more than an hour.

Edit: As far as cost of spoiler, I'm finding the OEM pro spoiler for $648 online.

Hope this helps
Walked back my original response to you. I apologize. Apparently, I neglected to read your whole post! So did you install one yourself?

What about removing a pre-existing one and replacing it with the pro? Still just 1 hour?

Last edited by ///WeissBisBlau; 10-15-2020 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps
Walked back my original response to you. I apologize. Apparently, I neglected to read your whole post! So did you install one yourself?

What about removing a pre-existing one and replacing it with the pro? Still just 1 hour?
The 1 hour time frame includes removal.

Yes I have done it on my wife's F80 M3, and I plan on doing it to my F90 M5 that I just picked up. The longest part is removing the old adhesive, for which I've found a heat gun and 3M auto adhesive remover and some old micro fibers to work best
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:22 AM   #5
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

The 1 hour time frame includes removal.

Yes I have done it on my wife's F80 M3, and I plan on doing it to my F90 M5 that I just picked up. The longest part is removing the old adhesive, for which I've found a heat gun and 3M auto adhesive remover and some old micro fibers to work best
Next time you "Rubber Eraser wheel" it is specifically made to take of that glue without damaging paint and does it very quickly! And those things are very cheap.

To the Op: About F90 spoiler, I'd say it takes a good 1.5-2hours. If you are planing to use OEM Pro spoiler, that one gets mounted with Betalink, as the cavity is too deep for double sided tape. Betalink needs to be applied carefully so it doesn't become a huge mess, and it is time consuming.

Once finished and the betalink settles, the spoiler gap is less 1-2mm and looks as it is almost moulded to the trunk. I love it!
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
I installed the carbon pro spoiler at a BMW dealer, they charged me 1 hour labor on the dot (includes removing the original tiny ass lip spoiler). I really wouldn't do this procedure myself cause in some other thread they say apparently the coverage of the original spoiler is different from the carbon pro so if you screw up removing the adhesive etc. from the original spoiler it can be exposed as the shape of the pro spoiler is different. Don't forget to order the betalink.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

I did this on my first f90 - taking the old spoiler off as others have said is the hard part. It will leave your paint discolored - at least it did for me and a few others a few years back.
The Betalink on the original spoiler leaves a discoloration that isn't the worst thing in the world but if you look it will be there.
The positioning is different, the new spoiler sits on the edge of the trunk and the old one sits on the top.
The new one is fairly easy to put on and just keep it taped down with some painters tape overnight and it's good to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
You don't need to use betalink although I recommend it. I used normal 2 sided 3m with no issues. It is a but deeper of a pocket but it is slightly flexible so when I put it on I first activated the tape with a heat gun and then pressed down firmly for a few seconds e during the tape makes as much contact as possible. Been on 4 months with no issues yet. Fingers crossed.

And yes removing betalink is a bitch. Ended up leaving a bit of damage to the clear coat that I had fixed before being ceramic coated. Luckily the car is DG so you can't even tell any more.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
ski1972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 finally

Just re install mine from m550 to m5 easy , use double tape 3M VHB #5952 Dual Sides Acrylic Foam Tape , 1 inch on the sides / 0.5 inch in the middle section after removing from m550 notice that middle section ( was not making contact with the trunk ) require double layer in order to attached properly, also use adhesive prepare , to remove old tape use
Decal Eraser Removal Wheel Kit w/ Power Drill Arbor Adapter 3.5"Rubber Pinstripe $7.89 ebay special .
So much fun to do that and is holding great . All job about an hour.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #10
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, so wound up just going with a dealer install, as they did it while I was out of town, and I just wanted to pick it up ready to go. At first, it looked ok, but tonight after I got in from a (very fun) little drive, I was playing around with it, found it to be a little bit loose, and then saw one side of it looking like this:

Name:  F1D7B1DB-F9EC-4081-8DA7-54D3B4613EC5.jpeg
Views: 961
Size:  66.2 KB

If I press down on it, it will go down, but will obviously come right back up. If I could leave something attached to it, maybe it would hold it down? Otherwise, any ideas as to how to remedy this? The dealership is about 2.5 (inconvenient) hrs away, so taking it back, for this, is sort of not in play. Open to suggestions?

Last edited by ///WeissBisBlau; 10-27-2020 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Added photo
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:25 AM   #11
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, so wound up just going with a dealer install, as they did it while I was out of town, and I just wanted to pick it up ready to go. At first, it looked ok, but tonight after I got in from a (very fun) little drive, I was playing around with it, found it to be a little bit loose, and then saw one side of it looking like this:

Attachment 2447972

If I press down on it, it will go down, but will obviously come right back up. If I could leave something attached to it, maybe it would hold it down? Otherwise, any ideas as to how to remedy this? The dealership is about 2.5 (inconvenient) hrs away, so taking it back, for this, is sort of not in play. Open to suggestions?
The only way I can think of is pressing down on it for a while and see if it gets better. Besides that, the correct way to fix it would be to remove and reattach.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Attachment 2447972

Wow that's unlucky. Apparently you're not supposed to go over 60mph or something within a day of installation and you're not supposed to wash it for 2 days or something like that. Regardless, might have to re-install. Complain with the dealer and see if they will fix it for you for free?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #13
ski1972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 finally

what they used beta glue? what ever they used , in my opinion to secure this properly has to be remove and reattached . good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
euro*
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 2447972

Looks like they use double sided tape, not Betalink like their official install guide says.

If it is betalink, then whoever did the install, didn't do a proper prep job.

Either way, take it back. It is not supposed to happen.

Mines on with Betalink, and it is ROCK solid. I can't even imagine how I'm going to remove it in the future, that's how solid it is
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

Attachment 2447972

As others mentioned, that looks like a double sided tape.
You will need Betalink to install the Pro spoiler.

I have installed many of them and no other way but Betalink.
Unfortunately I don't have pictures since I have to hold them up in place with tapes for 48 hours before it is fully cured.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0