BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT    Ppf and radar install

02-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Ppf and radar install

Looking for a reason not to ship my car to Cali for ppf and radar install on my new m5 that's coming in a few weeks. It's a frozen color so I'm looking for shops that have specifically worked on frozen paint cars before, can show proof and preferably a few references to verify the quality of work.

Before I hear people say that's unreasonable, I have a shop in Cali, I have spoken to an owner there that has had work done on their frozen f90 which is why I'm taking it there if I can't find someone to do it locally.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

A friend of mine who is also a forum member had his frozen 2021 M5C PPF'd at Detailer's Domain in northern NJ. I just sent him an IM asking for his feedback of their work.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      02-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
A friend of mine who is also a forum member had his frozen 2021 M5C PPF'd at Detailer's Domain in northern NJ. I just sent him an IM asking for his feedback of their work.
Awesome, thanks! I'd heard of them from someone I know with an m3. Any chance you can put me in contact with them? Honestly I'd love to see the car in person if they can spare a few minutes for me to ogle at it and look at the seams and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #4
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Awesome, thanks! I'd heard of them from someone I know with an m3. Any chance you can put me in contact with them? Honestly I'd love to see the car in person if they can spare a few minutes for me to ogle at it and look at the seams and stuff.
My friend responded to my IM, here's his feedback: "Phil at DD did a great job and I highly recommend them. A little expensive to do the whole car but fantastic work."

Here's his thread on his car:
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1799547
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      02-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking for a reason not to ship my car to Cali for ppf and radar install on my new m5 that's coming in a few weeks. It's a frozen color so I'm looking for shops that have specifically worked on frozen paint cars before, can show proof and preferably a few references to verify the quality of work.

Before I hear people say that's unreasonable, I have a shop in Cali, I have spoken to an owner there that has had work done on their frozen f90 which is why I'm taking it there if I can't find someone to do it locally.
I can also vouch for the work at Detailer's Domain. Phil is a great guy and an expert at his trade. I personally don't have frozen paint but I would recommend reaching out I'm sure he's done many cars with frozen paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
I can also vouch for the work at Detailer's Domain. Phil is a great guy and an expert at his trade. I personally don't have frozen paint but I would recommend reaching out I'm sure he's done many cars with frozen paint.
Yeah I gave him a call, he's definitely more expensive than any other shops I got quotes from, and those were already on the high end, but j don't mind paying for quality work. I'll be heading out nearly 3 hours away to see a frozen car he's done thanks to a forum member, so I'll make my decision from there...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #7
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I gave him a call, he's definitely more expensive than any other shops I got quotes from, and those were already on the high end, but j don't mind paying for quality work. I'll be heading out nearly 3 hours away to see a frozen car he's done thanks to a forum member, so I'll make my decision from there...
Curious what area you're in (northern NJ?) and what other places you talked to if you don't mind sharing. I'm starting my research now, and DD is on the list but is not close to me. Looking to see if there's another quality installer that's closer (07920). Also, since mine car will be a leased, non-frozen car I'm only looking to do the front bumper and hood to protect against road rash and then I'll ceramic coat the entire car. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Curious what area you're in (northern NJ?) and what other places you talked to if you don't mind sharing. I'm starting my research now, and DD is on the list but is not close to me. Looking to see if there's another quality installer that's closer (07920). Also, since mine car will be a leased, non-frozen car I'm only looking to do the front bumper and hood to protect against road rash and then I'll ceramic coat the entire car. Thanks!
I'm in south jersey 08234 lol, honestly DD isn't that far from where you are in 07920. I'm sure there are plenty of good installers for example I know extreme motorsports up Paramus is good, but I don't want good or great I need over the top excellent fantastic would pay any amount of money to get it done there kind of install since this is a car I'm going to keep... for example Phil at DD said he's gonna remove the m5 comp badge on the trunk during install and idk how I feel about that considering its frozen paint and any sort of scratch or imperfection can't just be buffed out... so it takes someone very careful and meticulous that's not gonna mess it up lol, other shops said they can just plot around the badge on their plotter. Some shops say they tuck this and wrap around that others won't, for example some shops won't wrap the door handles because of the weird shape and susceptibility to peeling off while others have learned how to master it...

Anyhow, I just called up a bunch of places that work with both xpel and suntek, but most were out of state like the one in Cali I plan to go to if DD doesn't work out for me. Or a few places in Atlanta and south Carolina since that's where I'm picking the car up (one place said they could finish my whole car within the day aka drop off morning pick up at night and I was like uhhhh everywhere else said 5-10 days and you're telling me half a day? Like I just don't like the sound of you rushing to get my car done lol). But the general pricing was around 4-5k on the low end, 6.5 mid-range and 7-8 on the high end for a full car.

P.s. do you know any good shipping companies for an enclosed transport or anyone that can lend me an enclosed trailer so I can drag my car from SC to NJ?🤣🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm in south jersey 08234 lol, honestly DD isn't that far from where you are in 07920. I'm sure there are plenty of good installers for example I know extreme motorsports up Paramus is good, but I don't want good or great I need over the top excellent fantastic would pay any amount of money to get it done there kind of install since this is a car I'm going to keep... for example Phil at DD said he's gonna remove the m5 comp badge on the trunk during install and idk how I feel about that considering its frozen paint and any sort of scratch or imperfection can't just be buffed out... so it takes someone very careful and meticulous that's not gonna mess it up lol, other shops said they can just plot around the badge on their plotter. Some shops say they tuck this and wrap around that others won't, for example some shops won't wrap the door handles because of the weird shape and susceptibility to peeling off while others have learned how to master it...

Anyhow, I just called up a bunch of places that work with both xpel and suntek, but most were out of state like the one in Cali I plan to go to if DD doesn't work out for me. Or a few places in Atlanta and south Carolina since that's where I'm picking the car up (one place said they could finish my whole car within the day aka drop off morning pick up at night and I was like uhhhh everywhere else said 5-10 days and you're telling me half a day? Like I just don't like the sound of you rushing to get my car done lol). But the general pricing was around 4-5k on the low end, 6.5 mid-range and 7-8 on the high end for a full car.

P.s. do you know any good shipping companies for an enclosed transport or anyone that can lend me an enclosed trailer so I can drag my car from SC to NJ?🤣🤣
Yeah, you're in a very different situation with a frozen keeper vs. a standard color lease. I'm looking for (in this order):
1. Very good to great installer
2. Closer is better
3. Mid-range pricing

Unfortunately I have no contacts for shipping or a trailer. My recommendation would be to call a high end dealership (Ferrari, Bentley, Lambo, etc.) and see if they have a recommendation. I can imagine the guys that buy LaFerraris and Venenos are pretty particular!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #10
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

NorthEast Auto craft outside of Scranton Pa
Installs Xpel PPF. Might be a little far for you but they do quality work.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #11
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've decided against using detailers domain after seeing a car that was done by them about a year ago... ppf was peeling in a lot of places, and there were a few places that I guess he didn't ppf due to the curvature of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
I guess ill give them a holler lol, you wouldn't happen to know anyone that had a car done by them I might be able to go take a look at? Specifically an m5?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 06:21 PM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you're in a very different situation with a frozen keeper vs. a standard color lease. I'm looking for (in this order):
1. Very good to great installer
2. Closer is better
3. Mid-range pricing

Unfortunately I have no contacts for shipping or a trailer. My recommendation would be to call a high end dealership (Ferrari, Bentley, Lambo, etc.) and see if they have a recommendation. I can imagine the guys that buy LaFerraris and Venenos are pretty particular!
Haha yeah you have it significantly easier lol. Sadly the only place I know is the one I mentioned, but I don't really know much about their ppf and detailing side apart from seeing a bunch of high end cars there (they work directly with Lamborghini porche and ferarri dealerships in the area for radar installs at least)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #14
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I've decided against using detailers domain after seeing a car that was done by them about a year ago... ppf was peeling in a lot of places, and there were a few places that I guess he didn't ppf due to the curvature of the car.
You can also try Auto Polishing Center (APC). They are in Waldwick NJ and a certified Xpel Dealer.
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      03-10-2022, 12:48 AM   #15
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
I guess ill give them a holler lol, you wouldn't happen to know anyone that had a car done by them I might be able to go take a look at? Specifically an m5?
Yes mine. Did mine in stealth
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #16
TJ@AUTOcouture
Private
Rep
Drives: Multiple

We do full PPF and frozen wraps here at AUTOcouture in Fairlawn too. We are currently finishing up a full car PPF on an M5CS right now. Earlier this week we did a gloss donington grey with a frozen style wrap and it looked incredible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      03-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #17
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ@AUTOcouture View Post
We do full PPF and frozen wraps here at AUTOcouture in Fairlawn too. We are currently finishing up a full car PPF on an M5CS right now. Earlier this week we did a gloss donington grey with a frozen style wrap and it looked incredible.
yup, I'm already booked with you guys
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:09 AM   #18
TJ@AUTOcouture
Private
Rep

Quote:
yup, I'm already booked with you guys
Awesome! When are you coming in?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #19
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ@AUTOcouture View Post
Awesome! When are you coming in?
No clue, don't have a set date for delivery of my car and I'd like to ship it directly to you guys so tentatively we planned for like early April or so
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #20
TJ@AUTOcouture
Private
Rep

Quote:
No clue, don't have a set date for delivery of my car and I'd like to ship it directly to you guys so tentatively we planned for like early April or so
Sounds good, when it come to PPF it is definitely best to have it done early like that so just let us know when you have a delivery date and we can solidify the date on the calendar.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 02:33 AM   #21
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Guys Phil at Detailer’s Domain is amazing. If the PPf was peeling on a car he did it was either owner user error or Phil would warranty. The man is at the Apex of the detailing craft. I’m a detailing geek and I have weird knowledge as a former detailer. Phil is as good as they get. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 04:28 AM   #22
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Guys Phil at Detailer’s Domain is amazing. If the PPf was peeling on a car he did it was either owner user error or Phil would warranty. The man is at the Apex of the detailing craft. I’m a detailing geek and I have weird knowledge as a former detailer. Phil is as good as they get. End of story.
Maybe so, but seeing is believing. Doesn't really matter if he's gonna warranty the work that's days I'm without my car again, plus no guarantee it's not gonna peel again, how many times am I gonna go get this fixed before I decide it's not worth my time and go pay someone else and now I'm out double the money? I mean there's no guarantee another shop wouldn't peel, but I haven't seen evidence of any issues thus far with one place so I'd rather put my trust in them. On top of the fact he's extremely expensive and as the reviews say extremely unresponsive when it comes to talking to people. Didn't really want to get into this here but might as well now. After speaking to him on the phone was told to text him my email address so he could put everything in writing for me, and that phone call was the last I heard of him, asked about scheduling and how far in advance I'd need to work something out and crickets... I'm usually skeptical when it comes to reviews and will always give the benefit of the doubt but once I experience it for myself there's no more room for doubts.

Now to explain my experience with autocouture as a comparison, called right before they closed asked if I could see some of their work, was told I could come whenever so I went the next day, spoke to Matt who walked me through the procedure and showed me a car they just finished as well as his own personal car that had ppf done some time ago with no issues i could see. He told me they book about a month out and that I'd need to put down a deposit and he'd get back to me once his team came in since I had some odd custom requests. Sent him an email before I left the parking lot so he had my info and got an email back a few hours later as confirmation he got my message. 2 days later got the quote as well as a breakdown of everything I wanted. Paid the deposit and was told to reach back out when I have a clear delivery date to sort things out. Very simple and easy, have 12 emails back and forth since I had a few more questions. I asked phil the same questions never got a response, asked if I could go take a look at some things he's working on he said yeah sure I'll call you when I start working on it in a few days and again nothing. That's the difference in a business that cares about their customers and communication and one that doesn't IMO. Sure we can all argue he's busy, but then who's to say he's not gonna rush my car or others cars just because he's that busy and needs to knock em out? Maybe that's why the ppf was peeling? Who knows? But that's certainly what's stuck in the back of my head now.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00