BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Radar Detector Mirror Tap Hardwire Instructions

02-15-2023, 08:28 PM   #133
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Can confirm LCI was a pain in the arse. I had to stop twice out of frustration and come back to try again. Eventually found the right spot and got it to come loose.
Do you remember if the right spot was similar to what’s in the picture in the first post in this thread? I was unable to try again today and planning to try tomorrow. The power tap cable is also coming tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 09:06 PM   #134
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
Do you remember if the right spot was similar to what’s in the picture in the first post in this thread? I was unable to try again today and planning to try tomorrow. The power tap cable is also coming tomorrow.
Yeah, it was right there.

There is also a YouTube video in this thread that showed the procedure on the pre-LCI, which was way easier than mine was to get off.

You just have to keep working at it, and it will eventually pop loose.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #135
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Yeah, it was right there.

There is also a YouTube video in this thread that showed the procedure on the pre-LCI, which was way easier than mine was to get off.

You just have to keep working at it, and it will eventually pop loose.
Gave it another try, both from driver and passenger side without any luck.

Why do car manufacturers make this stuff so difficult. Better yet, why not provide a USB port in that area? 😡
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 07:50 PM   #136
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I managed to find a combination that results in a click on each side, and after those clicks I clearly see a gap between the big and small plastic pieces. But it still doesn’t seem to come out. What am I missing? Is there a third clip somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:02 PM   #137
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
So I managed to find a combination that results in a click on each side, and after those clicks I clearly see a gap between the big and small plastic pieces. But it still doesn’t seem to come out. What am I missing? Is there a third clip somewhere?
You just have to get the sides to come loose and pull away from the windscreen.

I did the driver's side first, but it was still hanging by the passenger side. Getting the passenger side to pop away was still a bit of a pain, but not as bad as getting the driver's side to pop loose, since I could then kind of wiggle the whole piece while I pushed the side that was still attached.

Being gentle with it got me nowhere, have to use a bit of force . . . more than what was shown in the video.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2023, 12:21 PM   #138
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Hey guys I’m reviving this thread. I got the mirror tap on and I’m resintalling the plastic pieces now. I can’t for the life of me get the big plastic piece back on I’ve tried everything. Been sitting here for two 30 min sessions trying to figure it out. It won’t close any further than the picture I posted. Any help??
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 01:09 AM   #139
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
Hey guys I’m reviving this thread. I got the mirror tap on and I’m resintalling the plastic pieces now. I can’t for the life of me get the big plastic piece back on I’ve tried everything. Been sitting here for two 30 min sessions trying to figure it out. It won’t close any further than the picture I posted. Any help??
This thing is a PITA sometimes. It’s not you. There are two little tabs in there that you can barely see that are nowhere near as flexible as the rest of the plastic for some reason and they prevent it from seating. Try pushing in on the circled portions (sorry, the location of the passenger side circle is slightly off because of the angle of your photo, but get the passenger side in the same spot as the driver side) using your nondominant hand’s index and thumb. The pressure has to be concentrated in just a small surface area of the absolute tips of your fingers. Then use your dominant hand to place some pressure at the space indicated between the two arrows (again, sorry, angle kind of distorts the location) and push up towards the roof and in towards the rear view mirror column all at the same time. The tabs should lock into place (against the “collar” piece).

Hope this helps! Keep us posted.
Attached Images

08-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #140
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
This thing is a PITA sometimes. It’s not you. There are two little tabs in there that you can barely see that are nowhere near as flexible as the rest of the plastic for some reason and they prevent it from seating. Try pushing in on the circled portions (sorry, the location of the passenger side circle is slightly off because of the angle of your photo, but get the passenger side in the same spot as the driver side) using your nondominant hand’s index and thumb. The pressure has to be concentrated in just a small surface area of the absolute tips of your fingers. Then use your dominant hand to place some pressure at the space indicated between the two arrows (again, sorry, angle kind of distorts the location) and push up towards the roof and in towards the rear view mirror column all at the same time. The tabs should lock into place (against the “collar” piece).

Hope this help! Keep us posted.

Awesome thank you so much for this. I going to give it a shot shortly!

Also doesn’t help that the wire tap I purchased is short so I need to figure out how to mount the radar cause right now it’s mounted way too high and my rear view mirror blocks the screen. Need to figure out how to make it a bit longer before putting the plastic back on just yet
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 01:13 PM   #141
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome thank you so much for this. I going to give it a shot shortly!

Also doesn’t help that the wire tap I purchased is short so I need to figure out how to mount the radar cause right now it’s mounted way too high and my rear view mirror blocks the screen. Need to figure out how to make it a bit longer before putting the plastic back on just yet
You’re welcome! You can always mount to the left of the rear view mirror and it won’t obstruct you view, nor would the screen be obstructed. The mirror tap is long enough for this, and you’d actually have some slack that you can tuck in under that larger piece.
      08-05-2023, 01:54 PM   #142
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You’re welcome! You can always mount to the left of the rear view mirror and it won’t obstruct you view, nor would the screen be obstructed. The mirror tap is long enough for this, and you’d actually have some slack that you can tuck in under that larger piece.
Really? I don’t see how it’s possible. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. The left and right sides are both just as long as each other. Maybe I need to pull the mirror tap wire our differently to get more slack. As it sits not I don’t see how it could be possible. I’ll try the left side and get back to you on it. Thanks for the recommendation- could be the wire tap I bought was shorter than the one you used. Not sure
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 02:25 PM   #143
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really? I don’t see how it’s possible. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. The left and right sides are both just as long as each other. Maybe I need to pull the mirror tap wire our differently to get more slack. As it sits not I don’t see how it could be possible. I’ll try the left side and get back to you on it. Thanks for the recommendation- could be the wire tap I bought was shorter than the one you used. Not sure
Perhaps your’s is shorter. I used the Radar Mount brand found here (this is the version for Cobra RDs, but the lengths are the same for different brand RDs I’m pretty sure). I had some photos from when I was working on a similar situation with Kruppa, but I must have deleted them. I’ll get some photos for you when I’m in the car next!

Sorry I think I initially thought you had the mirror tap coming straight down from under the column, that’s why I mentioned to the left.
      08-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #144
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is the Uniden version of the Radar Mount brand which definitely has enough length to mount left of mirror if you decide to try that!
      08-05-2023, 05:47 PM   #145
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here is the Uniden version of the Radar Mount brand which definitely has enough length to mount left of mirror if you decide to try that!
Thank you brother!! Much appreciated
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 06:14 PM   #146
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you brother!! Much appreciated
You’re welcome! Please let me know if I can help out at all!
      08-24-2023, 10:44 AM   #147
808F90
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Thank you!
      01-12-2024, 05:24 PM   #148
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
I tried and tried, it seems like the damn wires are just too short, I even tried jamming the wires with needle nose pliers and it just simply won't make contact. Anybody tried a T style wiretaps? Fuse box tap is last resort, I hate running wires thru the car, that never works out for me.
      01-12-2024, 06:53 PM   #149
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_1of400 View Post
I tried and tried, it seems like the damn wires are just too short, I even tried jamming the wires with needle nose pliers and it just simply won't make contact. Anybody tried a T style wiretaps? Fuse box tap is last resort, I hate running wires thru the car, that never works out for me.
Help us help you. Are you using the Radar Mount brand? It seems we’ve determined that that is the one with enough length to mount left and right of the rear view mirror, or even below it if you’re using a BlendMount. Can’t tell if you’re having a length issue that’s preventing contact, or, you have enough length but it’s not making contact regardless?
      01-13-2024, 12:17 PM   #150
GTTC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Successfully installed mine today and yes it is a PITA. I used blendmount tap and mount. I wish the power cable was a bit longer (maybe the way I ziptie it). The mirror power plug goes in only one way… it took me like 20 minutes to figure it out since the space is so tight and fingers just won’t fit. I timed how long it takes to power off and is about 5 mins, not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 08:11 PM   #151
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Help us help you. Are you using the Radar Mount brand? It seems we’ve determined that that is the one with enough length to mount left and right of the rear view mirror, or even below it if you’re using a BlendMount. Can’t tell if you’re having a length issue that’s preventing contact, or, you have enough length but it’s not making contact regardless?
So it’s not a length of the wire itself, I can easily mount to either side and reach the radar detector, it is the length of the metal pins actually making contact inside the connector that I’m having problems with. I’m not sure what brand I’m using because I pulled it off my old 335 and it was working fine with that car, but it does have the braided wire. I think I’ll try again and buy the radar mount to see how it goes.
      02-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #152
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you all! I got it working with the radar mount kit from Amazon.
Attached Images

02-11-2024, 03:10 PM   #153
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_1of400 View Post
Thank you all! I got it working with the radar mount kit from Amazon.
Glad you got this figured out. Looks great!

Best location to mount, IMO.
      02-11-2024, 03:32 PM   #154
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad you got this figured out. Looks great!

Best location to mount, IMO.
Yes! Can’t tell there is a radar detector unless you really pay attention.