E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW E91 320D M47 - Oil consumption, possible oil leak, need help!

05-08-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
YokoE91
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D (M47, M-Sport)

BMW E91 320D M47 - Oil consumption, possible oil leak, need help!

Hey guys, im new to the forum, nice to meet ya all, and sorry for my bad english, english is not my main language.

Long story short i bought e91 320d m47 120kw, had dpf blocked, and damaged turbo cuz of blocked dpf... So i went to the auto repair shop, they restored the turbo, changed the oil, oil and air filters, and deleted/unprogramed the dpf+catalyc converter, egr is unprogramed also. So for a fewnweeks everything was fine car was like new, no power losses or anything, only a tiny amount of blue smoke on cold starts (i have one glow plug thats failing, diagnostics showed that, so im planing to change glow plugs and glow plug module soon). And now i get like every 500km warning light that i need 1 liter of oil, i check the disptick ant thats right, its at the minimum, i toped it up at first, thinking that new turbo might burned it, but no its still gone like every 500km 1l of oil. No smoke while driving that i could see, only blue smoke on startup for a few seconds, and a little bit of black smoke when acelerating agresively. So i tought i will take a look under the bonet in my garage, and i saw a big leak of oil around the injectors and the breather, also the engine oil cap is really tight, so i ordered new breather maybe it is the case. No other leaks from what i see, i removed the egr hose only a tiny bit of oil that i think is normal. So my question is what is it, could the oil breather blow so much oil out, when driving agresively? Or is it a new turbo? (They gave me 24months warranty on a turbo) Or what it is? No loss in power, not smoking. Cant really see any leaks driping down only tiny ones from the breather/injectors. Thanks guys, any answers would be appriaciated. If someone need photos or video i can do that.

Forget to mention car has 215,000km on the clock, dont know if its true carvertical shows that it is true, services do the same, and the wear on the car shows the same i think.

Last edited by YokoE91; 05-08-2023 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 01:02 PM   #2
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Change the valve cover gasket. The valve integrates the Crankcase Breather system into the Cover. The gaskets go hard and cause pressure to pass through into the Valve area when Turbo pressure is applied. This pushes the oil up and out of any area where it can escape.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
Change the valve cover gasket. The valve integrates the Crankcase Breather system into the Cover. The gaskets go hard and cause pressure to pass through into the Valve area when Turbo pressure is applied. This pushes the oil up and out of any area where it can escape.
Where does the oil go in such situations?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 02:22 PM   #4
YokoE91
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
Where does the oil go in such situations?
In my case only leak i can see is here around the breather and the injectors

https://youtube.com/shorts/0Lu9w7RlMxs?feature=share

Is it really a VCG? No loss in power, no drips on the bottom engine cover, only leak is here that i showing in a video, and blue smoke only on startup for 2-5sec. When i dont drive car hard it is not consuming a lot of oil, but i do drive it hard, so its like 500km 1l or so. If its VCG thank you will look into that.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #5
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokoE91 View Post
In my case only leak i can see is here around the breather and the injectors

https://youtube.com/shorts/0Lu9w7RlMxs?feature=share

Is it really a VCG? No loss in power, no drips on the bottom engine cover, only leak is here that i showing in a video, and blue smoke only on startup for 2-5sec. When i dont drive car hard it is not consuming a lot of oil, but i do drive it hard, so its like 500km 1l or so. If its VCG thank you will look into that.
It could be your oil cap seal. They don't seem to last long. I had oil on top of my engine. More than once. I clean it up and fit a new seal and it's ok for a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 01:33 AM   #6
YokoE91
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
It could be your oil cap seal. They don't seem to last long. I had oil on top of my engine. More than once. I clean it up and fit a new seal and it's ok for a year or two.
I will change it, but can an oil cap seal leak 1l/500km of oil, dont think so, my engine would be flooding with oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:35 AM   #7
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Trust me, under boost it can push a surprising amount of oil out via the crankcase breather. It could fill a catch can up easily, along with intercooler/piping/Inlet manifold. Mine also pushed oil out and around the filler cap, (even after new one fitted).

I chased same issue for ages. If the Valve cover gasket is original it will be hard and brittle. It seals around the injector holes etc, so thats how oil is forced up and around any slight gap on top end.

Its a cheap replacement and one that will last another 15 years or so the same as the original one. (200+k its about due for one id say)
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      05-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #8
YokoE91
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
Trust me, under boost it can push a surprising amount of oil out via the crankcase breather. It could fill a catch can up easily, along with intercooler/piping/Inlet manifold. Mine also pushed oil out and around the filler cap, (even after new one fitted).

I chased same issue for ages. If the Valve cover gasket is original it will be hard and brittle. It seals around the injector holes etc, so thats how oil is forced up and around any slight gap on top end.

Its a cheap replacement and one that will last another 15 years or so the same as the original one. (200+k its about due for one id say)
Sounds about right bro, a lot of people has this mysterious oil leak/consumption on m47 and change the whole engine, or just sell the car. But your words make sense, i will change it, yea probably it is original, its weird cuz not a lot of m47 owners talk about this problem. Thank you i keep the post updated if that helped.
Appreciate 0