BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    New Drag Race F90 M5 vs E63S W213

04-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #111
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Yeah of course it's personal preference. It just doesn't look like BMW didn't put much effort into the design. Looks like all other BMWs to me.
I think you're the one who's not getting it. The 5 series has always been very conservative in design, inside and out. Look at the evolution from E28 though E39, you can clearly see the family resemblance. The 5 was always supposed to be the classic pinstripe option of the time, with excellent dynamics and a super solid interior that ages well and doesn't scream "look at me".

The only time BMW went all creative on the 5 series was with the E60, and they were positively lambasted for it, crucified everywhere. And that despite the superb driving dynamics of the car.

So of course with the next generation(s) they went back to their classic design language and now some people are complaining about it. That's fine, they may lose the fashion crowd and keep the brand long term enthusiasts, a valid choice for them.

Meanwhile Mercedes has long decided to throw caution to the wind and drastically changed their designs, inside and out, with each generation. I'm not sure what that did to their sales, maybe it was a good move. But where older 5 series are now considered classics of the genre, nobody loves older E classes (just the really old ones before they started experimenting).

I'm a 3 series guy, mostly. So yes I would welcome a more daring design next time around, despite the fact that I like my M3 very much. But if I were to buy in the next segment, it would be a 5 series because of the understated, classic look and excellent driving dynamics. The E class looks too effete to me these days, just not a good vibe for an executive sedan. Personal preference and all that.
This is sex compared to the BMW to my eye. As I've said I've had 5 M cars always been a BMW fanboy. F90 just didn't do it for me. First time ever driving and sitting in an AMG I've felt like the AMG is equal(if not better) than the M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50
      04-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #112
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
This is sex compared to BMW to my eye. As I've said I've had 5 M cars always been a BMW fanboy. F90 just didn't do it for me. First time ever driving and sitting in an AMG I've felt like the AMG is equal(if not better) than the M.
Sorry, those purple curvy lines and circle vents are just too cute for me. Maybe for my wife. But then again it's all personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #113
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Really? So yeah for sure everyone's taste is different. For me Audi's interior is the worst.
Not sure if you seen the new A7, I think it's amazing.

But yes looks can be very subjective.
Yeah saw the new A7, like it better than the old one for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #114
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
This is sex compared to the BMW to my eye. As I've said I've had 5 M cars always been a BMW fanboy. F90 just didn't do it for me. First time ever driving and sitting in an AMG I've felt like the AMG is equal(if not better) than the M.
"to my eye"...exactly. To mine it looks simply awful. I could not imagine getting into that interior every day.

No offense...guess I am bit more conservative. That just shouts over the top (to me).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #115
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country F90 View Post
Quote:
"to my eye"...exactly. To mine it looks simply awful. I could not imagine getting into that interior every day.

No offense...guess I am bit more conservative. That just shouts over the top (to me).
If you are spending 120k on a super saloon should be a bit over the top. Not look exactly like a m550 imo. The only thing difference is the seats and shifter knob in the M5. BMW could have went a little bit farther to make the M5 feel more special.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50
      04-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #116
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you are spending 120k on a super saloon should be a bit over the top. Not look exactly like a m550 imo. The only thing difference is the seats and shifter knob in the M5. BMW could have went a little bit farther to make the M5 feel more special.
To each their own. That kind of over the top I wouldn't want in my car at any price.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #117
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each their own. That kind of over the top I wouldn't want in my car at any price.
If carbon fiber and alcantara are not your thing. I guess owning a super car is out of the question then huh?
Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50
      04-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #118
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If carbon fiber and alcantara are not your thing. I guess owning a super car is out of the question then huh?
I dont mind alcantara in places....and not a CF fan...especially puked all over the interior.

You do you, bro.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #119
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Too feminine, too soft. More of a Bambi , less of a Rambo. But as long as you are happy, that’s all that matters. I’d find a great AMG forum and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #120
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol 100% agree. TBH I would be embarrassed to show the car to my friends with that "over-the-top" interior. I guess me and my friends are all conservatives. M5's interior is not great, but at least I won't have to hide.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #121
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Too feminine, too soft. More of a Bambi , less of a Rambo. But as long as you are happy, that's all that matters. I'd find a great AMG forum and enjoy it.
Feminine? The BMW has turn into an old mans car. The spirit of any sense of a sports car has been sucked out of the car. It screams mediocrity. Just sad to see BMW making such weak and boring designs. They can do better than fake aluminum carbon and ugly orange shift knobs. Maybe the M8 will actually be something worth looking at. The design team will probably spend more than 2 days doing something that actually feels exclusive for an M car.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50
      04-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #122
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post
Quote:
Lol 100% agree. TBH I would be embarrassed to show the car to my friends with that "over-the-top" interior. I guess me and my friends are all conservatives. M5's interior is not great, but at least I won't have to hide.
Yeah you guys are probably old and live in the country. Guess I would feel the same if I was in my mid 50s and lived in Virginia or Wisconsin. Did you opt for the wood grain trim?
Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50
      04-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #123
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you guys are probably old and live in the country. Guess I would feel the same if I was in my mid 50s and lived in Virginia or Wisconsin.
Sorry I am 35 and live in Canada. No need to get offended. Just enjoy your car if you like it. Our opinion shouldn't matter.
Appreciate 1
MTHX233.00
      04-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #124
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Feminine? The BMW has turn into an old mans car. The spirit of any sense of a sports car has been sucked out of the car. It screams mediocrity. Just sad to see BMW making such weak and boring designs. They can do better than fake aluminum carbon and ugly orange shift knobs. Maybe the M8 will actually be something worth looking at. The design team will probably spend more than 2 days doing something that actually feels exclusive for an M car.
Just add a touch of pink.......
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #125
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Too feminine, too soft. More of a Bambi , less of a Rambo. But as long as you are happy, that’s all that matters. I’d find a great AMG forum and enjoy it.
Man you nailed it. I like your analogy.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #126
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just add a touch of pink.......
He opted for purple though....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #127
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Ironically, he’s “Trying to save us from ourselves “....

Crazy philosophy.

I actually did sit in a 911 and was debating it vs the M5 (after I sold my 2017 Zo6). M5 won me over. But it would be STUPID to go to Rennlist and post that up to “save” the “fools” that own 911’s.........geeeze....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #128
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you guys are probably old and live in the country. Guess I would feel the same if I was in my mid 50s and lived in Virginia or Wisconsin. Did you opt for the wood grain trim?
Here we go. Insults and immaturity engaged.

Bye.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #129
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

I'm sure you are the type of guys that wear golf shirts and short khaki shorts. Anything with bit of style is feminine to you.

This is all the excitement you can handle. Enjoy the inside of a coffin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50
      04-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #130
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ironically, he’s “Trying to save us from ourselves “....

Crazy philosophy.

I actually did sit in a 911 and was debating it vs the M5 (after I sold my 2017 Zo6). M5 won me over. But it would be STUPID to go to Rennlist and post that up to “save” the “fools” that own 911’s.........geeeze....
Insecurity maybe? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #131
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
I'm sure you are the type of guys that wear golf shirts and short khaki shorts. Anything with bit of style is feminine to you.

Hmm. I'd argue that Audi's new interior trumps both of these. So, in a way, you purchased the wrong vehicle, too, if interior is that important to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #132
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:

Hmm. I'd argue that Audi's new interior trumps both of these. So, in a way, you purchased the wrong vehicle, too, if interior is that important to you.
At least Audi changes their interior design concept unlike BMW. I've owned 5 Ms like I've said while these guys are excited for probably their first M car. I'm bored with same crap over and over again. I'm sure if this was my first BMW I'd find it exciting too. At least BMW could have offered a red or orange interior and some real carbon. They didn't even do that.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52877.50