BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Does linner steering wheels cover impact HOD, active driving assistant or anything re

01-11-2024, 05:25 PM   #1
M5FirstEdition
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5

Does linner steering wheels cover impact HOD, active driving assistant or anything re

I heard people lost many functionalities when swapping their oem steering wheels such as as heated steering, HOD among other. Any idea if wrapping the wheel with that cover would impact certain functionalities?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 06:32 PM   #2
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
a steering wheel cover shouldn't cause issues with anything, I suppose potentially it could affect the driver assist steering, if it cant feel your hands on the wheel because of the steering wheel cover.

If you got an entirely new steering wheel aftermarket or from like an M5 CS like I did, depending on the company and model you chose you could potentially have functionality issues that come up. Those would be:

-driver assist, because there is a sensor in the steering wheel that can sense your hands on the wheel or not. So if you got a new wheel that doesn't have those sensors you will lose that functionality, and an error code pops up if you were to push the lane keep assist button. but when you turn the car off and on it goes away. So those safety items could be an issue. If thats a problem and the one you chose doesn't have the sensors, you would need to swap those over also, which would one a nightmare, since they're (I think) embedded in the foam under the factory leather, and possibly even UNDER the foam. Not sure.

-Heated steering wheel may or may not work, will depend on the wheel you go with if it has the heating element in it or not. Same thing you could get it to work if you wanted to try to get the heating element into the new steering wheel. but again, that would require removing the Alcantara or leather and maybe foam from the NEW wheel, and put them in, and re-install the foam, and cover. It would (almost guarantee) look like SH*T going that route, unless you have a lot of confidence you could put it back together as well as OEM.

I purchased one of those Alcantara covers for my 2019 Comp, installed, and had no issues other than the fact that i hated it. It was way too thick. And was a nightmare to get it to look as good as the photos, so it never looked good to me. So I just ended up buying an OEM M5 CS wheel, and ditched the heated wheel, and driver assist. I swapped my trim, and airbag to it and that was about it. No heads up display issues. Not sure why the HUD would be affected but could be possible ? It hasn't been an issue with the cover , or the CS wheel.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 01-11-2024 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0