BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    How dramatic is the M5 with Comp pkg?

04-29-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

How dramatic is the M5 with Comp pkg?

Bottom line first: Is M5 competition a car someone likes because there is NOT much drama and just in love with the sleeper factor with functionality, or is there some real drama to driving this thing around where you just feel "this car is special" while you're cruising at most speeds and on most roads?

Feel free to comment based on that, but i'll expand a little below:

I'm a man with children and the desire to track my cars. I would not get the M5 as a "track car" but would potentially take it 2-3x/year. Mostly daily driving, hauling kids (boys, 4yo & 6yo) around, weekend trips, etc. If my next home (in about a year) happens to be very close to at track, chances are I'll go 992S, GT4, M3 or something silly like a Camaro ZL1 1LE.

I had an M6 GranCoupe Competition (2016) that I bought used. It had EVERY option imaginable (~$160k MSRP, full leather, carbon ceramics, akrapovic exhaust, upgraded sound etc etc). Took it to the track once at Buttonwillow and it was fun, but minimal drama. Day to day there was very little drama aside from cold-start and an occasional throttle mash.

I've gone through a lot of cars from F80 M3 (6MT and DCT), Boxster 718S (PDK), '17 Camaro SS 1LE (6MT), Audi S3. I've found that what I really like in a car is DRAMA. Noise, flickability, loose but controllable rear end on demand, speed, ability to be tracked with confidence. The M5 CP seems like a wonderful car, but I am a little concerned about how much drama is there. 718S drove GREAT but lacked drama due to its sound and power delivery being so linear. M6 was kind of the same story, probably more drama than the 718S but still didn't quite kick me in the pants.

Maybe this new M5 Competition has a little extra spice? I know it looks muted (which I can totally get into), but how is the driving experience? Do you find it dramatic or do you enjoy it because its smooth and more grown up than something loud and shouty/dramatic?

I'll be test driving one shortly but would like to hear what people think about the car after putting some real time/miles in the driver's seat and after the honeymoon phase has worn off. I'm comparing the M5 with the new M3, 911 (test-fit the kids the other day, it would work in a pinch but not for a road trip), or possibly a new 'Vette, Zl1 1LE, or GT350.

appreciate any feedback

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Minimal drama with a 2WD M6 GC? Well I'm not so sure you will find AWD F90 M5 much of an improvement.

Did you drive the M6 with DSC on?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Bottom line first: Is M5 competition a car someone likes because there is NOT much drama and just in love with the sleeper factor with functionality, or is there some real drama to driving this thing around where you just feel "this car is special" while you're cruising at most speeds and on most roads?

I'm a man with children and the desire to track my cars. I would not get the M5 as a "track car" but would potentially take it 2-3x/year. Mostly daily driving, hauling kids (boys, 4yo & 6yo) around, weekend trips, etc. If my next home (in about a year) happens to be very close to at track, chances are I'll go 992S, GT4, M3 or something silly like a Camaro ZL1 1LE.

I had an M6 GranCoupe Competition (2016) that I bought used. It had EVERY option imaginable (~$160k MSRP, full leather, carbon ceramics, akrapovic exhaust, upgraded sound etc etc). Took it to the track once at Buttonwillow and it was fun, but minimal drama. Day to day there was very little drama aside from cold-start and an occasional throttle mash.

I've gone through a lot of cars from F80 M3 (6MT and DCT), Boxster 718S (PDK), '17 Camaro SS 1LE (6MT), Audi S3. I've found that what I really like in a car is DRAMA. Noise, flickability, loose but controllable rear end on demand, speed, ability to be tracked with confidence. The M5 CP seems like a wonderful car, but I am a little concerned about how much drama is there. 718S drove GREAT but lacked drama due to its sound and power delivery being so linear. M6 was kind of the same story, probably more drama than the 718S but still didn't quite kick me in the pants.

Maybe this new M5 Competition has a little extra spice? I know it looks muted (which I can totally get into), but how is the driving experience? Do you find it dramatic or do you enjoy it because its smooth and more grown up than something loud and shouty/dramatic?

I'll be test driving one shortly but would like to hear what people think about the car after putting some real time/miles in the driver's seat and after the honeymoon phase has worn off. I'm comparing the M5 with the new M3, 911 (test-fit the kids the other day, it would work in a pinch but not for a road trip), or possibly a new 'Vette, Zl1 1LE, or GT350.

appreciate any feedback
If you are looking for drama, the F90 M5C is not the car to get. Being All wheel drive and comparing it to the M6GC U had, the F90 M5C will have way less drama. Why not an exotic like the 488, 812Superfast and/or Mclaren?
      04-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Disagree... it feels pretty special... lots of poise, pops & bangs - for a car this weight & size, the flickability is incredible, it feels like a 600bhp/2ton/comfy go-kart & surprised how much attention it gets

It feels on a different level to the "base" F90 M5, which for me felt a little underdone/inert, although the M5 driveline is great, the ride & handling felt a little under-done/inert & too close to the F10
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Minimal drama with a 2WD M6 GC? Well I'm not so sure you will find AWD F90 M5 much of an improvement.

Did you drive the M6 with DSC on?
DSC/TC all the way off for the track and street.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
Quote:

appreciate any feedback
If you are looking for drama, the F90 M5C is not the car to get. Being All wheel drive and comparing it to the M6GC U had, the F90 M5C will have way less drama. Why not an exotic like the 488, 812Superfast and/or Mclaren?
I'm not in the position to have an exotic so those are out for now. Eventually, perhaps, although the GT3RS is probably as "exotic" as I'll ever care to go. If I could get a GT3 and an M550i or M5 combo, that would be ideal, but just can't afford both.

I thought about getting a GT3 but with no back seat it makes for a hard sell. Used 991 Turbo wouldn't be the worst choice because the back seats would rarely used by our (very) little kids, and they would at least have seatbelts.

Seems to be some mixed reviews on the drama front. I definitely would expect it to feel like a Viper ACR or something but sounds like it might fall pretty much in line with the M6. The AWD is defeatable, luckily, so I'd still be able to go RWD for tail happiness. The ability to do a strong launch does seem fun and the boys do enjoy a good launch mode.

I appreciate the input so far. Seems a bit mixed and, as usual, I probably need to just spend some more time behind the wheel myself to formulate my own opinions.... sometimes it's hard developing true feelings in a 20min test drive though...

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

I track my cars.. F90 & M2... here's how I explain the difference (more so at a 1/4 mile track as opposed to a circuit) of course.

The M2 and other better circuit cars are like rockets, agile, maneuverable & fun as hell.

The F90 is like an ICBM, just destroys shit.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      04-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Owned an M6 GC and found it very heavy and ponderous compared to the M5 Comp. That weight was the reason I sold it...not old enough for that car. lol. Went to a 17 ZL1 and man it was very fast but a rough ride compared to the M5 Comp and the cabin is small. I guarantee the LE track version will bust your balls on city streets but would be fun, just not a DD. Porsche turbo was my other top choice, holy crap it's gorgeous but in the end, I liked the M5 Comp just pushed all the right buttons and really is fun to drive.

I wanted a very fast DD that was stealth with some room. This car is special and completely unlike the old M5 or any 6 series. The 4 wheel drive weighted to the rear does that. It drives like it weighs 1000 lbs less than it does. Very stable in 4 wheel drive and does things it has no business doing. This car feels planted and glued to the road. Go drive one.

PS. If you want drama you can switch it over to 2 WD and hang the tail out...I only recommend if you are getting low on tread and need to get more tires anyway...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingolfingLove View Post
Disagree... it feels pretty special... lots of poise, pops & bangs - for a car this weight & size, the flickability is incredible, it feels like a 600bhp/2ton/comfy go-kart & surprised how much attention it gets

It feels on a different level to the "base" F90 M5, which for me felt a little underdone/inert, although the M5 driveline is great, the ride & handling felt a little under-done/inert & too close to the F10
Agree 100%. In one month of ownership my car has gotten more random compliments than my F10 received over 3 years.
      04-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
dalixz25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, Tesla M3P

You'll also get random people photographing the car from time to time as I have in the past.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

I’ll sum up my two month experience. It walks softly but it carries a very big stick!
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #12
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
I track my cars.. F90 & M2... here's how I explain the difference (more so at a 1/4 mile track as opposed to a circuit) of course.

The M2 and other better circuit cars are like rockets, agile, maneuverable & fun as hell.

A10 Pilot by any chance? Love the comparison, haha.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #13
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
Owned an M6 GC and found it very heavy and ponderous compared to the M5 Comp. That weight was the reason I sold it...not old enough for that car. lol. Went to a 17 ZL1 and man it was very fast but a rough ride compared to the M5 Comp and the cabin is small. I guarantee the LE track version will bust your balls on city streets but would be fun, just not a DD. Porsche turbo was my other top choice, holy crap it's gorgeous but in the end, I liked the M5 Comp just pushed all the right buttons and really is fun to drive.

I wanted a very fast DD that was stealth with some room. This car is special and completely unlike the old M5 or any 6 series. The 4 wheel drive weighted to the rear does that. It drives like it weighs 1000 lbs less than it does. Very stable in 4 wheel drive and does things it has no business doing. This car feels planted and glued to the road. Go drive one.

PS. If you want drama you can switch it over to 2 WD and hang the tail out...I only recommend if you are getting low on tread and need to get more tires anyway...
The M6GC CP was a complete boat. Nice to hear the M5 feels a little smaller. The M6 also had fairly poor visibility and seating arrangements which I believe the M5 would improve on. Things that would be a bonus.

Interesting you found the ZL1 a rough ride. My SS 1LE had a super smooth ride with the magnetic suspension and I thought they shared this system. The ZL1 1LE sounds painful on the street ... I would rarely drive that thing away from the track if I ever talk myself into one.

I don't think I want to wait for the G80 but that does seem like a great middle ground for me and if I end up loving it, I could always trade the M5 in down the road. Need a good long test drive first, of course.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post

A10 Pilot by any chance? Love the comparison, haha.
Something like that, that's as much detail as I'll go into :-).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
fstezaws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 911 S — 2022 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
I can vouch for it driving 1000lbs lighter than it is. I had the F10 M5 and it felt large, compared to a 600hp Subaru STi. When I got the F90, it was like both of those had a baby. Crazy speed, finesse, and comfort packaged with amazing grip and AWD.

I would also say that this car doesn't have a lot of drama. Even in full tilt with all the settings in Sport Plus, it's still relatively calm. I have very few people that want to race me, whereas in my Subaru days it was a daily occurence.

If I wanted drama I'd get a Porsche and let that exhaust sing. I'm not sure what drama means to you, but loud, high strung, and really taut are what I think about, and the F90 is none of those. It's perfectly composed and poised, yet lethal.

A Nissan GTR is far more dramatic than the F90, yet I'd take the F90 every day of the week.
Appreciate 2